SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Ye must answer me these questions three, ere the actual discussion thread ye see.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Revenues went up 5x for DCUO after it went F2P. But of course, they started cranking out much more content at the same time, so who knows?
Yeah but that F2P payed for development of that content way better I bet. It is a definite chicken or the egg scenario but I think F2P is good for the genre.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Nice work! You forgot one. HST.
HST was actually what USRobotics called their implementation of 9.6k. The others two were Hayes and Telebit Trailblazer. V.32 came after the ITU realized it had to standardize stuff that was already out there. Same with error correction and compression: We had stuff from Microcom called MNP before the ITU standardized V.42/V.42bis. Most people used HST however, because it was considered the most reliable with international phone calls, especially on those shitty satellite links.

Trick question! 8-bit sound card before the soundblaster. The answer I was looking for was Adlib. Were the Rolands the 401s? I never had a Roland. But I knew they cost a shit ton.
Funny thing is, all PC cards back then were 8 bit ISA on the I/O side, but the Soundblaster was actually the first mass market card to have an actual DAC so you could play back PCM samples in addition to the AdLib sound. The AdLib itself was just a cheap FM synthesizer chip from Yamaha and couldn't play back sound samples. Still better than those PC beeps, though.

How about a Magnovox Odyssey?
That was in the 70ies and way before my time. I actually learned programming on the C64.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Jeez... spend two days at a trade show and miss out on the greatest news in years. Georgeson is out! Butler is out! All I'd like to see is Smed get the boot for a complete trifecta. This is some of the best news for the MMO genre in years.

Feel bad for all the front line cuts though. It sucks they have to feel the pain for one of the most incompetent executive teams in gaming history.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Yeah but that F2P payed for development of that content way better I bet. It is a definite chicken or the egg scenario but I think F2P is good for the genre.
It was so awesome for the genre that even today people spend hours talking about how much they love those two seminal FTP games EQ and WoW.

-_-

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
HST was actually what USRobotics called their implementation of 9.6k. The others two were Hayes and Telebit Trailblazer. V.32 came after the ITU realized it had to standardize stuff that was already out there. Same with error correction and compression: We had stuff from Microcom called MNP before the ITU standardized V.42/V.42bis. Most people used HST however, because it was considered the most reliable with international phone calls, especially on those shitty satellite links.

Funny thing is, all PC cards back then were 8 bit ISA on the I/O side, but the Soundblaster was actually the first mass market card to have an actual DAC so you could play back PCM samples in addition to the AdLib sound. The AdLib itself was just a cheap FM synthesizer chip from Yamaha and couldn't play back sound samples. Still better than those PC beeps, though.

That was in the 70ies and way before my time. I actually learned programming on the C64.
Atari 800xl with 300 baud modem and dual cassette drives or GTFO!

Bunch o youngsters in this forum.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Without googling or looking at anyone elses answers for Ut's quiz - Hell I even forget the question exactly, but my guess would be 300 baud, 1200 baud, 2400 baud, 4800 baud, 9600 baud, and US robotics is the standout company from the modem time period, in my opinion.

My father, having cystic fibrosis, was working from home on a 300 baud in '86. I was using it to get shell access around '90, and I think we were at 1200/2400 at that point in time.

In between all of that I was typing out code to produce songs from those magazines on a C64.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
There are a few old school MMOs in development. Shroud of the Avatar is turning out to be interesting (I've been alpha testing it for a long time now), and project Gorgon would be very cool if it got the funding it needed.

I still think the future of the MMO industry lies in the hands of independent developers. But the tools might not be there quite yet.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>

I like you. We are going to go places you and me.

Remember doing this?

"edit config.sys"
"SoundBlaster=A220 I5 DMA1"
And then trying to figure out how to use memmaker to make sure all your conventional memory got above 620k so you could run origin games!?

And clearing our the modem shit... ATZ, etc. Shit I cannot believe I remember ATZ. Vitality! MY MEMORY IS RETURNING