SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

I've always been under the perception that venture capitalists buyout a company for either one of two reasons. The first reason is when they think the company has a good product but is losing money because of poor management. The venture capitalist buys the company, fires the management that was screwing up, then actively takes over management themselves and institutes business process reforms that will end up turning the company around allowing them to make a profit.

The other reason is when a company has a product with a lot of potential for huge profits but the company infrastructure is too small to realize the full profit potential. The venture capitalists, who typically have access to large scale manufacturing , marketing and distribution assets, buy the small company with the full intention of ramping up production and expanding the market reach of the product.
Oh no, sometimes they buy to break it into pieces and sell the pieces and IP.

Sometimes they buy to extract cash and just run it into the ground while pulling cash.

Sometimes they buy to hold and sell in a few months.

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
This could really turn it around for ...
rrr_img_89454.jpg

Vitality

HUSTLE
I mean it though, Elidroth actually comes here and has a voice, I respect that and am willing to help if it's needed.

I'd rather not fuck-on-him/her in this confusing time tbh.

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
Nah.. I'm going to worry about that stuff if there is reason. As for right now.. I have work to do until people tell me I don't. The less I worry about what might happen, the better off I'll be right now.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Nah.. I'm going to worry about that stuff if there is reason. As for right now.. I have work to do until people tell me I don't. The less I worry about what might happen, the better off I'll be right now.
There is absolute reason to worry about:

Sony 2014's loss composed of $52M from SOE

Much of that loss was composed of a ?6.2 billion write-off in Sony Online Entertainment, which incurred costs in development its as-yet-unreleased Everquest Next and H1Z1.
The more I find out, the more I think this isn't gonna end well.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
99 percent of that is from EQN. H1Z1 is going to make a nice profit I bet, it's staying on the top selling Early Access Steam list and that game couldn't have cost much to put out.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
How much of that $52M loss is a true money spent - money earned and how much is the result of a charge SoE paid to Sony for marketing or promotional considerations or whatever? Remember this is the entertainment industry with their own very bizarre ways of accounting.

Hell even in the normal corporate world they often manage to find a way to drain tons of cash from subsidiaries in order to make it look like the sub lost a ton of money.