Flc_sl

shitlord
8QFYD17.png
"If any of you have some oxycotin, please meet me in the Daybreak parking lot."

Flc_sl

shitlord
Felgon/Eric Smith is out.

Eric Smith ?@F4Felgon 13s13 seconds ago
Layoffs aren't fun, but that's business. Loved working on Landmark, and I hope EQN turns out well. I'll be around!

Why they'd let him go and keep Emily/Domino is a fucking mystery.

H1Z1 loot/progression/survival (health, energy, thirst, etc) designer Leonardo is IN.

Leonard Gullo II ?@Kalyper 4m4 minutes ago
It's a sad day today and good people were let go. They need jobs if anyone can help. I'm still on the team.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So brads garage will be full once again? As it sounds, he might have to park the Ferarri outside and add a second folding table.

Flc_sl

shitlord
Emily confirmed IN. *eyeroll*

Emily (Domino) ?@pentapod 2m
And yeah, apparently you're not rid of me that easily. Thanks for the good wishes. We'll have updates for ya when we can, bear with us
smile.png

Flc_sl

shitlord
Tom Schenck, head programmer for H1Z1 is, unsurprisingly, IN.

Tom Schenck ?@tomslick42 21s21 seconds ago
Time for lunch, a little walk, and then back to check the latest potential patch. Not the best of days, but one step at a time.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You really don't even have to track them. Look at the "low population" ones and just do a super merge. So some housewife loses her character name, she will live. A MMO should feel lively and not be an empty space like 99.9% of the EQ2 servers (the .1% being AB)
Heh, my dad has an alt on the lowest pop server. He plays there because he wants it as empty as possible. Necromancers....

spronk

FPS noob
I'm willing to bet the only 2 games Daybreak cares about is H1Z1 and Planetside 2 due to console ports.
given the layoff patterns (senior people, support staff, 50% cuts) this looks like the classic hedge fun raid and resell play: they will refocus all devs on mobile games, hire new junior devs to port their games to mobile, and sell the company in 18-36 months for 300-400% profit. I'd give it 50/50 odds on whether PC and console ports even are considered for their games anymore.

the name of the game is not actually making money, its about showing what your potential profit could be. PC/console MMOs have a very tight, very known profit model - you will generally sell 100k-1m copies at launch and settle at 50-300k subs or $15m/yr f2p fees. It doesn't really vary much outside that. Whereas f2p games are $0-100m/mo and its still the wild west, so its a much better space to try and gamble in. Investors don't give a shit about voxels or EQ heritage or anything like that, just what a company like Facebook or Microsoft or Google may buy and MMOs are not it.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I can't imagine they purchased SoE with plans to scrap EQNext. It seemed like the only thing they had going for them on the horizon.

H1Z1 is fun, but I don't think it will be nearly as profitable as a full MMO can be.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
The software world really has two very extreme spectrums. There are areas that seem to have a lot of turn over simply due to start up or project intense needs that just simply deflate up release and then you have the lifers. Some of these guys that have 12 years should really be thankful especially with the latest generation of everyone wanting to be a game designer.

I really hate it for these guys because you would have thought SoE would have become an institution that would have lasted a long time. However, as someone else had mentioned, what else did you expect with their management and direction. I really felt like because they made Everquest they had some sense of entitlement and everyone should just accept their genius in gaming.

It's the little guys that were just doing their job and following orders you gotta feel for right now.

Flc_sl

shitlord
daybreak live should be interesting this year.
It isn't happening this year.

Also, Josh Augustine - designer for EQN/Landmark (not sure what design he does) is IN.

Josh Augustine @jaugustine ? 35m 35 minutes ago
@Grakulen Looks like I made it through the cuts and am safe.Tough day, though. Thanks for checking in.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So - catching up.

What's the tally? Are Georgeson, Danuser, and Butler fucking out on their ass where they belong?

Shame for some of the lower key staff. Some good developers in that mix so, honestly, probably a good thing for them to get with a company that has decent management. I am sure they will find much better companies to work for should they decide to stay in the biz. Protip for those reading that have been laid off: If you go to work for Battlecry, you would be better off collecting welfare.