SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm starting to think maybe within a few weeks. They seem to be gutting most games down to skeleton crews. Designed to maintain and maybe produce a few minor droplets of new content a year. Not enough to actually make a expansion out of. I don't see what there doing as being able to maintain current revenue streams from existing gamse let alone being able fund EQ Next development.

This is starting to look like bringing in outside management whose main goal is to restructure and fire people in order to prepare company for sale to others ready to actually invest money into making EQ Next.

There current plans reduce existing costs but also place existing revenue at risk in the medium term. A quick resale seems to be one very likely option at this point.

My bet is EA EQ within six months.
IF EA bought the franchise we'd at least see new EQ games.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
So true. I thought EA's Ultima XI through XXII were the best Ultimas.
I dont know if you're serious right now. I'm fucking perplexed.

But goddamnit, EA would at least have management capabilities. We MIGHT get a playable game with EA. The way its looking now? We'll be lucky to have any form of EQ in 2016.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I dont know if you're serious right now. I'm fucking perplexed.

But goddamnit, EA would at least have management capabilities. We MIGHT get a playable game with EA. The way its looking now? We'll be lucky to have any form of EQ in 2016.
What's to be perplexed about? EA bought Origin and pretty much killed all of Origin's franchises: sure Ultima Online limps along but then again there are folks out there still using aol email accounts.. Thinking EA would save EQ is ridiculous.

Bruman

Golden Squire
I would rather EQN be vaporware than EA touching it.
Agreed. Better to be left wanting more than to get it and it be shit.

Like those rumored Matrix sequels that thankfully never happened. Just left with a great stand-alone movie!

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Agreed. Better to be left wanting more than to get it and it be shit.

Like those rumored Matrix sequels that thankfully never happened. Just left with a great stand-alone movie!
rrr_img_91280.jpg

There's no place to hide from reality.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
IF EA bought the franchise we'd at least see new EQ games.
They would probably spin it off to Broadsword games along with Ultima and Dark Age Camelot. Probably wouldn't see new EQ games, but less chance of it getting sunsetted any time soon while there was still money to milk out of it.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
rrr_img_91280.jpg

There's no place to hide from reality.
Sure there is: no copies of the Star Wars prequels or the Matrix Sequels will survive the coming Asteroid Armageddon - so while future generations will know blood, sweat and toil as they work to recover our now lost civilization and culture, they will remain blissfully and forever unaware that such abominations ever existed - other than as myths, like Grendal.

And who said Armageddon didn't have a silver lining?

rrr_img_91301.jpg

/rerail

Anyway, EQN will see the light of day as a much simplified, very dumbed down version of what was promised - possibly as early as next year.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Can we stop calling the shutdown of a game sunsetting? That's corporate talk to make it sound less bitter to the few players left, you can take off the kid's gloves here. /rustled

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Can we stop calling the shutdown of a game sunsetting? That's corporate talk to make it sound less bitter to the few players left, you can take off the kid's gloves here. /rustled
Exactly. It's more like what happened to Bobbi Kristina. The game basically died years ago but has been kept in an unnatural state of life for an extended period. The few die-hards just cant admit it will never recover...but it never does.

overbyte

Golden Knight of the Realm
I liked the idea of /pizza, it was badly implemented.

I will give them this...at least they tried some new ideas. (May not always have worked, but kudos for trying)
Project M (i think thats what it was called), where you could log in and play a mob instead of a PC was the best idea that they dropped.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Project M was the best. Especially since half the newbs you attacked as a snake or an orc pawn had no idea what was going on. Jumping around and shit so other players knew you were a person and then running around as a snake murder squad.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Every god damn time I got the stupid level 13 Fire Beetle in Rathe Mountains and uselessly suicide bombed into people kiting giants since there was never anyone you could actually kill around.

Randomly interrupting people meditating and then scampering away was fun, though.