SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
That promise was Landmark - if Smed trying to be clever and smug on twitter or the like counts as a promise. We just didnt know about Landmark yet and assumed he was talking about a real EQN game. But of course SOE at that time knew about Landmark since those statements were around the time of E3 (Best of Show!) and SOE live that year.

Sumi_sl

shitlord
That was a decent read from Brad and did a good job of explaining the philosophical differences between him and John Smedley. I am glad that Brad is trying to make a game that he wants to play. If they do have a big update coming in a few months I would be interested to see what direction Pantheon is taking next. At some point you would think further development is going to hinge on funding and I don't know how they have sorted out that hurdle yet.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
It was him using Smed's dismissal as a way to try and market himself. That's one thing Brad has always been good at.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Sounds funny, but Brad should try to hire Smed or at the least try to get him on staff with some sort of agreement. Would give them some extra positive attention, which may seem odd but if someone sees something one way, many see it the other way.
Plus Smed could return to Twitter and other social media with open comments and rants, basically gloves off. Let him open up in a world where no other exec could in today's market without being fired. Its these kinds of things that can pole vault a company up the ladder and gain more of a following.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
there's no way that Pantheon could afford to hire Smed. no way. not even in the cards. unless Smed is willing to take an enormous pay cut.

he'd likely be taking a pay cut anywhere else he went to, too, but not nearly as big of a pay cut as he'd take going to Pantheon.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
It was him using Smed's dismissal as a way to try and market himself. That's one thing Brad has always been good at.
Aaaand Bingo.

The worst I ever saw was JMS after Richard Biggs died from a massive brain aneurism. JMS posted a few hours later "The role of Stephen Franklin will not be recast." And this was like 5 years after the show was off the fucking air...

there's no way that Pantheon could afford to hire Smed. no way. not even in the cards. unless Smed is willing to take an enormous pay cut.

he'd likely be taking a pay cut anywhere else he went to, too, but not nearly as big of a pay cut as he'd take going to Pantheon.
He would make more as a consultant at Daybreak than working anywhere else in any position short of Producer/CEO, which I will bet money will never happen. He'd be stupid to do anything else unless he has some burning creative desire.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
A new TLP with no bots or boxing is coming this winter. Apparently daddy Columbus sees results in progression servers. Elidroth, time to pitch your new classic EQ again. It'd probably launch before EQN, too.
biggrin.png

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Instead of everyone playing 12 mages, they'll just play 1!
I played a mage my entire EQ career (5ish years, off and on). They were always underrated as far as damage output. It cracked me up when people would be so willfully ignorant that I would afk to change laundry or whatever and come back to see in party chat that they were bitching about how stuff was dying half as fast all of the sudden... like it hadn't occurred to them that it was even possible that the mage was pumping out all the dps.

Of course, it helped that mages had bolts, and there was a bug that allowed you to double bolt (something to do with pathing and being above/higher than your target). I would always fish around for spots like urns and corners to climb to make sure I wasn't on the same z plane as my target.

Ah, memories.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
A new TLP with no bots or boxing is coming this winter. Apparently daddy Columbus sees results in progression servers. Elidroth, time to pitch your new classic EQ again. It'd probably launch before EQN, too.
biggrin.png
Good, god damn box armies make things so unfun.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
A CEO who has so little self respect to act like a child on Twitter instead of handling the situation out of the public eye is not a good leader, and fosters the childish drama environment that pervades the company as a whole.
Eyyy, the ceo of ProteinWorld or whatever it was that was sending out all the awesome tweets making fun of SJWs crying about their poster/ad campaign and in turn grew his company would like to have a word with you.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Did they ever release that combat document they said would be released a week or two (or whatever) after the big reveal?