Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
You're the first person I've ever heard not liking Rogue One. Rogue One is a top tier Star Wars movie.

• 6Like
  • 2Picard
Reactions: 7 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
You're the first person I've ever heard not liking Rogue One. Rogue One is a top tier Star Wars movie.

Rogue one had some stupid in its plot as well but was far better then the other movies released so far. After TLJ I wrote off SW like many, still think this faggot looking han is #notmyhan.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
$100 million over 4 days is not horrible unless it's compared to other Star Wars movies.

yea, i don't get why people aren't ignoring the fact that its a movie from (what used to be) a huge franchise, with a budget >250.000.000$

it did pretty good compared to some local amateur productions, "not horrible" and stuff

gtfo

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Vulg

Golden Knight of the Realm
please post what you find here, I'm quite interested. I've noticed a shift in tone in the last two days not only here slightly, but from a few (relatively) influential people I know in the comics and movie industry who finally decided to see it for the first time in the last couple days and have posted almost unanimously positive reactions (generally along the "its not great, but it really really fun" lines) on social media.
Bladerunner 2049 was fucking brilliant but only pulled $92M domestically in total.

Solo is still pulling numbers that you would expect from a blockbuster and isn't being punished for being "bad". What's been lost is simply the next-level box office mega-success that you'd think the IP would guarantee for one of the OT characters. By comparison, the third Iron Man and Captain America movies had openings north of $170M and at least for Iron Man 3, you could argue it was a pretty shitty movie. But hey, the MCU is pretty tight and well connected whereas the SW world has suffered from a lack of vision, cohesiveness and execution.

Ultimately, that's reflected in the individual movies.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
Han's casting killed it. Even if the film turned out to be fantastic, too large of a segment was immediately turned off by the actor. Some of those people might have been reeled back in with universally positive word of mouth, but too many potential viewers took a look at that guy and relegated the movie to "maybe one day I'll catch it on Netflix".

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Star Wars movie threads are always so fun to read on this board. Rivaling the Game of Thrones thread for butthurt and nerd rage. :emoji_heart:

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Han's casting killed it. Even if the film turned out to be fantastic, too large of a segment was immediately turned off by the actor. Some of those people might have been reeled back in with universally positive word of mouth, but too many potential viewers took a look at that guy and relegated the movie to "maybe one day I'll catch it on Netflix".

This is what is my issue with this particular movie, and has been from the start. Han Solo is a iconic character, and a large reason why is due to the actor who portrayed him. I don't care who they cast, no one is going to be able to fill Ford's shoes. This was a bad idea from the very beginning. And then with the train wreck that was TLJ and the production staff going all SJW on things that weren't even all that SJW anyway, just turned me off even more. I'm probably going to end up seeing it next week, as my Mother in Law is really wanting to see it while we are on vacation, but I have 0 expectations for this.

spronk

FPS noob
Coming Holiday 2018, the movie everyone asked for

RNpqgEi.jpg

• 3Worf
  • 2Barf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 6 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just imagine all the unbought toys still hanging on the shelves for that one.

• 1Worf

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
To jump on the same sentiment that someone brought up before just like with the whole DC universe of movies you can have some of the best source material for stories ever created but if you aren't willing to respect that source material, write decent scripts, hire decent talent, well then you are like but nothing but Batman vs Superman, The Suicide Squad, and The Last Jedi. These movies should be something that audiences are dying to see, there is plenty of people who wanna be entertained and they will pay to see enjoyable entertainment and there are some good movies out there look at the thread of Infinity Wars it's nothing but positive reviews people who have went and seen it multiple times. Then turn around and look at shit like the Green Lantern movie, or any of the Fantastic Four abortions. People don't have super hero fatigue or Science fiction Star Wars fatigue they have shitty movie fatigue.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I wonder it Disney paid them all to add in "that's a good thing"... Well you guys shat out a steaming Lincoln log on all the fan's chest "and that's a good thing."

s37euo9z36211.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 3 users

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
lucas is a hack and you need to stop riding his dick.
As a director and on-set personality I would agree with you. As a conceptual storyteller you simply cannot deny he has talent.

Put Lucas in a room by himself with all his merch, hand him some crayons and construction paper and then use those general ideas. Never let him NEAR a goddamn camera.

• 3Solidarity

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Fundamentally solo is not a bad movie but there is some serious flaws that make any kind of follow-up involving the two most principal actors I'm talking about the main guy and Emilia Clarke ever being a successful movie. Between that the agenda pushing and the taint from The Last Jedi there was no way this movie was going to be successful. Which is a shame because there are some positive things in it but I think Disney finally managed to kill one of their golden geese.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
After being on the fence, will I won't I . . .

I went and saw it this evening. Liked it enough to feel that it was worth the admission. No great classic, but good enough fun movie in the Star Wars universe.

I'm not going to dwell on flaws and nitpick.

I can leave that to others.

• 3Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Screamfeeder, jayrebb post sans the Disney hypebeaster. <--- thats bars.

Fresh heat rocks.

With the reshoots, the movie wound up costing more than $250 million.

You want the rawfacts I bring em.

Domestic Total as of Jun. 8, 2018: $164,993,474

Yeah some VPs didn't get bonuses. That's all. :rolleyes:

and that might be a conservative estimate considering Ron Howard was brought in well into production to take over directing duties from Phil Lord and Chris Miller, who were fired by Lucasfilm over creative differences. There were extensive reshoots—perhaps as much as 85 percent of the film was reconfigured—as well as major changes taking place, such as Paul Bettany stepping in to play the villain role that had originally gone to Michael K. Williams, who had to leave the project because of a scheduling conflict.

The extent of Solo’s box-office failure remains to be seen—its stiffest competition before the release of the Jurassic World sequel on June 22 will be Ocean’s 8 (out on June 8) and Incredibles 2 (out on June 15)—but Lucasfilm already has a lot to consider. Mainly: Why did this happen, what are the consequences, and what can the studio do to avoid a failure like Solo moving forward?

250 conservative. Vanity Fair sourced. Real bombs-- no Screamfeeder can run interference on this one.

Last edited:

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Screamfeeder, jayrebb post sans the Disney hypebeaster. <--- thats bars.

Fresh heat rocks.

You want the rawfacts I bring em.

Domestic Total as of Jun. 8, 2018: $164,993,474

Yeah some VPs didn't get bonuses. That's all. :rolleyes:

250 conservative. Vanity Fair sourced. Real bombs-- no Screamfeeder can run interference on this one.
You clearly are more experienced and know much more than I ever will.

• 1Salty

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
So...

Kathleen been fired yet? Has Disney bent the knee to the boycott or will episode IX need to bomb as well before they pull their heads out of their asses?

It's satisfying that, once again, the general audience has finally caught up to me and my personal boycott of all Star Wars properties since the Prequels.