Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
The SJW droid did feel horribly out of place. Kinda like Donald Sutherland's hippy character in Kelly's Heroes.

Odd thing for me, watching the film, I thought the voice sounded like Gwendoline Christy, so I thought that they had given her a bunch of dialogue to sprout 'onscreen' to make up for being so underused in the 2 recent SW films.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Also, I did hear good news last week that Kathleen Kennedy will likely be stepping down/forced out, talk about A New Hope!

Slim to no chance. If she leaves its of her own free will because she doesn't want to live long enough in the franchise to become George Lucas.

Lucas Film has been a great commercial success under her with some of the highest grossing movies of all time.

Cantina Talk: No, Kathleen Kennedy Isn't Leaving Lucasfilm

Is Kathleen Kennedy Leaving Lucasfilm?
The Source: Random online gossipmongers

Probability of Accuracy: Not even slightly true.

The Real Deal: Let’s start with something that’s quite clearly wishful thinking on the part of a number of Star Wars fans: For the last couple of weeks, there have been rumors that Kathleen Kennedy is stepping down as Lucasfilm president, with Marvel’s Kevin Feige being named as her potential replacement. This is, to be blunt, complete and utter banthawash. (Look, we're trying to keep it clean and on-topic.) Yes, Solo: A Star Wars Story underperformed, but that’s just one failure after three of the most successful movies in recent memory, and Solo had extenuating circumstances—namely, losing its original directors, which forced a reshoot of pretty much the entire movie. The idea that Kennedy would be forced to step down after that—or that fans need to speak up to save her job—is ridiculous, and betrays a particular myopia that fandom engenders; the idea that fans know best and have the inside scoop because they love the property so much. Kennedy’s position, at least in the eyes of parent company Disney, is pretty much secure; if she does step down for whatever reason—something that’s pretty unlikely—it’ll likely be a personal decision that has absolutely nothing to do with pressure from corporate overlords.

fris

Vyemm Raider
the response makes me even more hopeful. the studio has to know how the starwars IP is currently viewed.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
tenor.gif

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
TWO trilogies after Episode 9 - one by Rian Johnson, one by the Game of Thrones guys. Both are still on track, what got shut down were the Obi Wan and Boba Fett movies.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
TWO trilogies after Episode 9 - one by Rian Johnson, one by the Game of Thrones guys. Both are still on track, what got shut down were the Obi Wan and Boba Fett movies.

The one movie I actually wanted.

• 1Like

Caliane

the most frustrating part of this movie is the constant callbacks. Theres a solid movie buried under the constant barrage of "remember this?".

Train heist movie set in the starwars universe, with the rampant gangs and criminal empires=great idea.

Ever wonder where Han got his gun? Ever wonder Chewbacca got the nickname chewy? ever wonder why han understands but doesnt speak wookie? ever wonder why the Falcon is missing its radar dish, and life pod? etc, etc. fucking retarded. And none of it makes any sense. Every other part of the Falcon gets repaired, but not those elements I guess..

The Han character arc is also pretty stupid. This movie ends with Han being a hero and having an active part in starting the Rebellion. Very contrary to his character in A new hope.
Every single tie to Original trilogy, and the Rebellion should have been removed. (lets be honest, they probably weren't in the original script at all, and were inserted.)

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Strongly agree on your last point. The Han we know at the start of A New Hope wouldn't have been the hero.

• 2Solidarity

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
"expanding the Star Wars universe beyond the claustrophobic bounds of the other films in the franchise"

Wat? Are we going to a galaxy of xers next?
He's not wrong and moving beyond what people expect should be a good thing. Star wars is limited Light Side vs Dark Side, storm troopers vs rebels, light sabers etc. Its just that Rian Johnson has proven he sucks at making coherent movies. He even failed to do anything different in TLJ because after everything is said and done, we're back to evil sith empire vs good jedi rebels. This is after wasting our time for about an hour while we save a space goat from evil capitalists. The funny thing is Solo was a much better movie than TLJ, and you know what would have made it more interesting? Dump the Han Solo aspect of it and make a real Heist movie around Woody's crew. Now that would be getting away from the" claustrophobic bounds of the other films in the franchise"

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
He's not wrong and moving beyond what people expect should be a good thing. Star wars is limited Light Side vs Dark Side, storm troopers vs rebels, light sabers etc. Its just that Rian Johnson has proven he sucks at making coherent movies. He even failed to do anything different in TLJ because after everything is said and done, we're back to evil sith empire vs good jedi rebels. This is after wasting our time for about an hour while we save a space goat from evil capitalists. The funny thing is Solo was a much better movie than TLJ, and you know what would have made it more interesting? Dump the Han Solo aspect of it and make a real Heist movie around Woody's crew. Now that would be getting away from the" claustrophobic bounds of the other films in the franchise"
The Light vs Dark defines Star Wars. It is Star Wars. If it is limiting Star Wars, then Star Wars isnt really Star Wars.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider

I said it when TLJ came out, I still want to see what Rian's and Benioff/Weiss' movies look like. The only way to make Star Wars interesting is to focus on entirely new, entirely unrelated settings and concepts, instead of cramming in every callback or reference to the original trilogy you can in, continuity (or common sense) be damned.

The main problem with TLJ was Johnson doing that at the expense of everything that had ever happened in Episodes 4 -7 and leaving Episode 9 with nothing interesting to work with. The secondary problem of the politics trumping all else didn't help...

which is why I am unconvinced "Star Wars" can be saved in the short term. The first round of rumors had Kennedy being replaced by her lieutenant in the her Writer's Group (which will be no help), and Feige is on record as saying that after Avengers 4, they're going to minorify everyone, just like in the comics.

• 1Solidarity

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Strongly agree on your last point. The Han we know at the start of A New Hope wouldn't have been the hero.
There's 10 years between Solo and ANH. That's a lot of time to get shit on by the galaxy and develop a 'me first' attitude. In fact it makes more sense for him to be a good person first, develop a bad attitude, then rekindle his heroic nature because of the actions of a wide eyed farmboy.

• 1Like

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The Light vs Dark defines Star Wars. It is Star Wars. If it is limiting Star Wars, then Star Wars isnt really Star Wars.
They could make interesting movies in the Star Wars universe without recycling the same story over and over again. But most execs probably think like your statement, and will never risk making something different. We'll see with the new movies, but my expectations are 0.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
They could make interesting movies in the Star Wars universe without recycling the same story over and over again. But most execs probably think like your statement, and will never risk making something different. We'll see with the new movies, but my expectations are 0.
You telling me that The Hero Journey ISN'T a profitable story structure to persue and while being the basis for literally every single adventure/sci-fi/fantasy movie ever it will be a failure? Man I forgot just how hardcore you internet guys can be.

Next you're going to go all jayrebb jayrebb and tell me Solo lost money.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $197,203,695 57.3%
Foreign $147,102,828 42.7%
Worldwide: $344,306,523

• 2Picard