Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
  • Han was kind of a pussy. He was the quintessential scoundrel/lady's man growing up, every kid wanted to play Han and be the badass. This version was not that. I don't know who thought it was a great idea to make the character be this way but I can't see how he even remotely becomes what he is in Star Wars.
At least Han shot first in this one. Fuck Lucas for ever changing that anyway.
I think the Han "story" was kind of ok. It led you to feel why it's a cynic character by Ep4. His mentor was a cheater, his love basically threw him away for power, Lando he had to throw down just to get the Millenium Falcon (because Lando loves to cheat anyway)... It's just that the rest is lackluster, so that part is a-ok.

Notably the "shoot first" bit. Everyone, except Lucas himself, thinks it fits.

Fedor

<Banned>
As 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' Flops, Are Movies About White Men Box Office Poison?

get ready for episode 9

Star Wars 9 Casting Call Teases New Female Lead

According to That Hashtag Show, the part in question is described as an "ethnic female"in the range of 18-26 years of age. There is a preference for an African-American actress to land the role. Among the traits listed, it's said Caro has "captivating naturalness" and is a "leader and problem solver." She also sports a sense of humor and has a "strong will." In all likelihood, the name Caro is simply a placeholder. Unlike Mara, however, it does not have any major ties to Legends and seems to be created just for the film.

5WrGL.jpg

• 2Barf
  • 1Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 3 users

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
The movie sucks. It’s just a repackaging of your youth and we all want to rationalize as It wasn’t that bad. Yes it was. It’s so fucking bad they needed acting coaches on set.

But fucking with the lore is the worst. I get you cartoon kids love seeing the crossover but it shits on everything Star Wars was about. There are TWO and only TWO fucking force users in the Galaxy. Even the Imperials doubt Vader’s magic. Han recounts the Jedi as nothing more than a myth. The entire premise of the original film is there is a secret new force user and some ancient fuck who was forced to hide in the tiniest corner of the Galaxy will train him.

But yeah let’s throw Darth Maul in and have him with his lightsaber and all right in plain sight. Just cause. But..bu..but the cartoons.. Fuck your cartoons.

2?

If you're gonna bitch, at least know your material.

In the OT you have Obi-Wan, Luke, Vader, Palpatine, Yoda. 5 =/= 2

Maul is dead by the time OT roles around anyway, and he's avoided detection for the past 20 years in Solo. It's not unrealistic that there are still force users around. I mean, a galaxy is a rather large place.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Maul is dead by the time OT roles around anywa

Hold the phone there Willis, never say never....If this Franchise taught me one thing, its that nothing is unfuckable.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
The tech in Star Wars is pretty much set in what Lucas imagined in the 70s. Nothing is backed up, everything seems to exist on giant disks or inside of droids.

Every other droid in peril seems to imply that if they die, it's over for them. Die is a loose term though, and to your point, if they had her nav computer, they probably could have put her back together in a new body, unless her nav computer and brain computer were 2 different things.

Yes there has always been a weird level of techno anachronisms due to when the originals were created and them just maintaining that look and feel. And for whatever reason droids do not appear to be something you can backup. You can copy stuff from their memory but doing full backups seems to be either not possible or nobody ever seems to bother doing it so when they are destroyed they are gone.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Hold the phone there Willis, never say never....If this Franchise taught me one thing, its that nothing is unfuckable.
No, he's dead for real, Jim. Although there's clearly more than 5 force users during the OT era and obviously way more untrained force sensitives around the galaxy (both the canon cartoons and Legends novels supported this).

Next you guys going are to tell me Snokes was in his 20s.

• 1Worf

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I'll probably, maybe, watch this at the $2 theater. Or wait until I can use my free Drafthouse birthday ticket, but then I'd rather use that to watch Infinity War again...

• 2Solidarity

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Ohshit this came out?

I didn't know it came out until I saw the RLM video pop up on YouTube. Then came here to see who actually gave them more money.

I'm confused why so many of you paid to see it.

You could have seen Deadpool 2 or Avengers 3 again.

I'll just buy Deadpool 2. That's a definite buy after the first one being so good.

But seriously, you guys gave them more money? Lol

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
Come on guys,

They leave people/characters/stories/origins unexplained - people complain.
They try to give background to a character - people complain.

I guess being a writer/director for the Star Wars series is like being a content producer for an WoW, GG lol.

• 4Picard
  • 3EyeRoll
Reactions: 6 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It might seem like that, but I have never once heard a single person in my sphere of social interactions say, "You know what I could really go for? I need some more origin stories, reboots, and prequels in my life." They are the worst shit ever, yet Hollywood keeps cramming them down our throats.

You immediately know which characters are expendable and which actually mean something. You are only getting to visualize the things you already know. Let's take Solo as an example...

We already knew Han was from the mean streets of Corellia, a former Imperial, has been pulling jobs with Chewie for years, famous for doing the Kessell run in 12 parsecs, and won the Falcon off of Lando. So, what new elements did we get? A love interest that will turn on him and have zero lasting connection in the 2nd half of his life. A scoundrel that teaches him a couple lessons and dies. He may have scored the job that started the entire Rebellion, because he has a heart of gold.

Thanks for the origin story.
giphy.gif

• 5Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
first one I didn't take my family to see since I had kids. The only other one I didn't see in theatres was Attack of the Clones (because TPM might be the biggest let-down of a movie I've ever experienced). I came back for the third one because Darth Vader is awesome

I'll probably check this one out the next time I'm on a plane

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Uhh, no one for the past 30 years has been complaining about origin stories for the OT characters.
Pretty sure people started complaining and doubting over a year ago when we heard what was happening during the filming of Solo. And then Last Jedi happened. And then we saw the trailers. The box office reflects that as fans didn't blindly go for the first viewing no matter what, plenty of us waited for audience reactions and then decided it wasn't a theater movie.

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I thought the SJW robot was hilarious. Was it not supposed to be a joke?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Most people at work didn't even the movie was out, and some didn't even know they were making a Solo movie in the first place.

The marketing for this movie was pretty bad.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I assume the real Enfys Nest (I thought it was the name of the damn crew) was an actual criminal like Beckett and not a sanitized Good Guy Scum like Han.

The kid version was just using her mom's rep to play Robin Hood. I think that whole story was just there because Khaleesi turned out to be a cunt so they had to fill the princess quota.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I enjoyed it quite a lot. It was way more fun than I was expecting. Woody was enjoyable, the main guy did a serviceable job playing Han, the robot was hilariously over the top. Story was fine. Movie took a very different direction than TLJ.. Solo started from a place we were mostly familiar with and created all of these unanswered questions (like Maul and his new apprentice??, the new rebel cell, what happened to the khaleesi in the 3yr gap) as opposed to TLJ which had some open questions and it severed them all in extremely unsatisfying ways.

All in all worth a watch for sure.

• 1Barf
  • 1Like