South Park Stick of Truth

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ubisoft's region dickory isn't only restricted to Germany from what I've read on NeoGAF Steam thread. The games may be solid but their company is a bunch of asshats, even if you like Uplay for some reason.

spronk

FPS noob
Making extra SKUs and configs is a lot of work and effort, they wouldn't do it unless the profits were really huge or fear of lawsuits. In this case its the latter, you know some asshat would sue because their precious 11 year old fuckwit learned the Nazi salute or that blood comes from human beings or that teh gays exist or whatever retarded laws Germany, Australia, etc has. Its Ubisoft being extra cautious so no one can say "you guys have easy to avoid loopholes!" Thats also why you never see nudity/sex in games either, because the US market won't allow it (no direct law but lawsuits galore). Before the end of the year I am pretty sure we'll see a few token lawsuits in USA against all the gay/sex stuff in South Park.

and seriously its pretty fucking retarded to say "the law is that you can't SELL nazi shit but you can buy it!!!!", you'd get laughed out of court if you were ubisoft and tried to claim that as a defense.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You cannot sue people or corporations over this shit here! This isn't America, you can't sue people over stupid shit and get awarded a lottery winning! Worst case scenario? They get told they can't sell it anymore and need to bring in a censored version. End of case for everyone involved.

Other games I can easily obtain through ways ubisoft has disabled for Steam and it resulted in fuck all action from the government agency responsible for these enforcements! What is so fucking hard to understand about this?

I've dealt with this shit one way or another for 15 years, please remember that

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Vote. With. Your. Wallet.
Simply dont buy this censored bullcrap and go ahead and pirate it if you must. Really, only if the money grab suits realize their businessmodel is no longer profitable they will come up with a new one. Not the other way round. Seriously its Ubisoft, the most anti-PC-gaming company out there why give them money for a PC-game?

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You cannot sue people or corporations over this shit here! This isn't America, you can't sue people over stupid shit and get awarded a lottery winning! Worst case scenario? They get told they can't sell it anymore and need to bring in a censored version. End of case for everyone involved.

Other games I can easily obtain through ways ubisoft has disabled for Steam and it resulted in fuck all action from the government agency responsible for these enforcements! What is so fucking hard to understand about this?

no new Wolfenstein for you then.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

What's the upside for Ubisoft for this regional censorship?

Also there's 0% chance I would play a censored version of this game when I could easily play the uncensored version. I'd even buy a game and then pirate it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I guess they avoid backlash/bad publicity by self censoring ahead of time, or applying for a different rating which might impact the sales. I don't really know and the whole censorship situation in germany seems really weird to me but eh. You can't have any nazi imagery in anything? Only games? Is it wrong in all cases or can you use it when depicting actual historical stuff like say a game on WWII?

an accordion_sl

shitlord
I guess they avoid backlash/bad publicity by self censoring ahead of time, or applying for a different rating which might impact the sales. I don't really know and the whole censorship situation in germany seems really weird to me but eh. You can't have any nazi imagery in anything? Only games? Is it wrong in all cases or can you use it when depicting actual historical stuff like say a game on WWII?
Taake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In March 2007, during a concert at Essen in Germany, Hoest appeared on stage with a swastika painted on his chest.[2] In Germany, the use of the swastika is strictly forbidden by law (? 86a StGB), and the remainder of Taake's German concerts were cancelled.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In germany you are strictly forbidden to admit that WW2 ever happened.
That's the Japanese

We are actually obsessed with war movies in which we lose. This is unique to us, for example Indians (Asia) always tune out when the redcoats are on TV, the French don't like movies about Napoleon's defeats and the Russians wouldn't ever watch Rambo 3

Dyvim

What's the upside for Ubisoft for this regional censorship?

Also there's 0% chance I would play a censored version of this game when I could easily play the uncensored version. I'd even buy a game and then pirate it.
Swastikas are bascially forbidden anywhere but in movies (eg: Indiana Jones, Inglorious Basterds, etc.) or theatrical stages.
Cases happened in the past where magazines like PcGamer missed a swastika in a screenshot or such, and got the whole print pulled from the markets.
Same issue with (any) software, even something like Corel Draw (i think 3) was completely pulled from the stores cause it contained swastika templates.

Different censorship applies to basically software games only where an excessive use or display of violence, blood, rag doll splatter and the like will result in a special rating (imagine R+++) whereanyadvertising (even displaying the boxes in a store or mentioning in a magazine) is forbidden by law.

Both measures result in significantly lower box sales why publishers trend to heavily censor the shit outta it, even resulting in an PG 13 or +16 rating of the crippled games.

wanand

That's the Japanese

We are actually obsessed with war movies in which we lose. This is unique to us, for example Indians (Asia) always tune out when the redcoats are on TV, the French don't like movies about Napoleon's defeats and the Russians wouldn't ever watch Rambo 3
And the Americans re-write history on every movie they make

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's the Japanese

Well I do remember that you aren't allowed to show anyone on fire in German games. They can be running around screaming with smoke pouring off their body as long as it doesn't show flames.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That's the Japanese

What's a few good German-produced WWII movies that covered the European theatre?

It's not the same, but Vietnam war movies are very popular in the US and they're generally negative while being generally pro-military

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Was Downfall a German movie? Can't recall, but I thought it was. Das Boat was German made and excellent, so they do exist.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What's a few good German-produced WWII movies that covered the European theatre?

It's not the same, but Vietnam war movies are very popular in the US and they're generally negative while being generally pro-military
Downfall and Das Boot was already mentioned, you might also want to see Stalingrad (1993)

spronk

FPS noob
germany needs a Quentin Tarantino who rewrites history so that germany always wins and is a force for world peace

aryan jones and the raiders of the lost jew
the empire strikes back against islam
goodnazis
harry potter and the half jew prince