South Park

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Ah yes, Chuck. Finger on the pulse of the modern trends!
Get Over It. Fidget Spinner Trend Is Dead
Jun 13, 2017
Barron Trump. Dubbed the "hula hoop of Gen Z," the fidget spinner—a small three-bladed gizmo intended to minimize distraction—has taken the teen world by storm. Its rise has been so seismic that e-commerce data firm Slice Intelligence estimated that late last month, the toy accounted for 17% of daily online toy sales.

Austere publications across the country have chronicled the toys' rise, dutifully explaining them to adults. Giants of the toy industry have moved to get in on the trend, with Toys R Us airfreighting tens of thousands of the things to meet demand. But here's the bad news for the grown-ups and Fortune 500 companies: the fidget spinner is no longer cool.
spinner.jpg

• 3Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Forced continuity? If that's another way of saying season long arc, I gotta ask what makes you say that about the first 2 episodes. Looks to me like they're going back to how it was when it was the most successful. There's always been some continuity. The important thing is that the main stories were completely different (white suremacist / alexa took err jerbs and rocket man / distracted driving)

The South Park I know and love was back in the latest episode. The tweets were fantastic. The jab at fidget spinners was pretty good (maybe because I know people with autistic children who told me the spinners helped their child). They clowned the fuck out of distracted driving people, but the best part of the DD story was when cartman said anyone talking about suicide was just looking for attention. I can see people getting their butts hurt over the end when they called all the distracted drivers 'presidents'. But you're being overly sensitive if that was you. That was nonsensical shit along the lines of the "boogers and cum" song at the end of the yelp episode. How ridiculous do they have to make a joke in order for you to recognize it's a joke?

I recognize jokes when they are funny and entertaining, not when it's gibberish smashed together trying to make an incoherent statement. They had different stories going on and used to tie gem together in the end, this was just cobbled shit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
nothing you mentioned (cept the tweets) is current or funny. kids dont use those spinners anymore. they cant get rid of them now. stores that used to sell them 10-15 dollars now have them sitting in the bargain bin for a dollar and still nobody wants them.

Maybe their not selling them anymore, but kids are still playing with them. South park wasn't on during the heyweek of the figit spinner, so this is the first chance they've had to make fun of it. You can't blame them for not predicting how short lived it would be. You expect too much from them. Besides, what about the scause episode? That came well after the scause fad was winding down too.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
They had different stories going on and used to tie gem together in the end, this was just cobbled shit.

So you don't recognize how they tied the 2 stories together in the end? I dont know man, I think south park's problem right now is that they sucked the past couple of years, and in that time people have romanticized how they were "back when they were good". Now all you guys are remembering is a general sense that they were perfect. They can't achieve that perfection now because they never did.

There might also be a little bit of rawness when it comes to politics right now. You're gunna have to see a shrink to get over that.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
So you don't recognize how they tied the 2 stories together in the end? I dont know man, I think south park's problem right now is that they sucked the past couple of years, and in that time people have romanticized how they were "back when they were good". Now all you guys are remembering is a general sense that they were perfect. They can't achieve that perfection now because they never did.

There might also be a little bit of rawness when it comes to politics right now. You're gunna have to see a shrink to get over that.

Tweak is stressing trump sending tweets and North Korea
Cartman is suidical for attentions
Drivers are distracted and killing kids .
Craig realizes tweak losing his mind he needs to just listen and let him get it out
Distracted drivers and trump need to put the phone down.

It was all over. What was the impetus of the distracted driver sub plot if only to provide a line for the end song. I thought they might get clever and play with this more. It was just ham fisted . All of that to get to a below average laugh that's been said and done by every show.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Maybe their not selling them anymore, but kids are still playing with them. South park wasn't on during the heyweek of the figit spinner, so this is the first chance they've had to make fun of it. You can't blame them for not predicting how short lived it would be. You expect too much from them. Besides, what about the scause episode? That came well after the scause fad was winding down too.
you're right, that was one of their worst episodes. those stupid rubber bands hadnt been a thing for years and they did a whole episode about it. SP typically has a better track record of keeping up with current trends, sometimes even predicting them, but they occasionally drop the ball and leave people scratching their heads. when they miss the boat it doesnt make the episode funnier.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
What was the impetus of the distracted driver sub plot if only to provide a line for the end song.

I thought the DD subplot was to foil cartman's attention whore suicide threats. Not that it needed a reason to exist. Distracted driving hysteria is happening right now. It deserves to be ridiculed.

I agree that the subplots aren't usually this far apart from each other though. I would have expected an entire episode on cartman's suicide and distracted driving, and another on tweek and garrison's tweets. But who knows, maybe they have too many other plans.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Tweak is stressing trump sending tweets and North Korea
Cartman is suidical for attentions
Drivers are distracted and killing kids .
Craig realizes tweak losing his mind he needs to just listen and let him get it out
Distracted drivers and trump need to put the phone down.

It was all over. What was the impetus of the distracted driver sub plot if only to provide a line for the end song. I thought they might get clever and play with this more. It was just ham fisted . All of that to get to a below average laugh that's been said and done by every show.
when the show was good, it used to be maybe two story arcs. the kids story and the adults. towards the end the stories merge into one and chaos ensues which is hilarious. now its several different adults having different arcs with several different kids having their own arcs and some may be merging, but the underlying arcs continue. this is fine if they have an ending goal, but what they are doing is getting bored with those contnuing arcs and sometimes just abandoning them for no fucking reason.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Chuk, between the various threads, you have written enough to fill a book about how TV shows suck. A book that no one would ever, ever want to read. Maybe you should think of something better to do with your time.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Chuk, between the various threads, you have written enough to fill a book about how TV shows suck. A book that no one would ever, ever want to read. Maybe you should think of something better to do with your time.
what i'm doing is fine. if you dont like it, then there is the ignore feature.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Just because there is an ignore feature that doesn't give you the right to keep shitting up threads.
excuse me? if i didnt bump this thread, it would have been on page three by now. i am voicing my opinion same as you, i was a huge fan of this show, i am allowed to call it out when it sucks.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Just because there is an ignore feature that doesn't give you the right to keep shitting up threads.

Why don't you tear down some confederate statues while you try to silence Chuks freedom of speech, you safe space faggot.

Do you think you are the first person to come into a message board Tv show discussion with the "if you don't like it you shouldn't post" bullshit? What a fucking stupid stance to take. The point of a message board isn't to circle jerk everything. Go to Reddit if you want that. Chunk contributes more to these threads than you, so maybe you should hit the bricks.

Now we can rinse an repeat this same stupid topic in three weeks when another vaginal lip cries about someone now blowing a tv show.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Fedor

<Banned>
I've been watching the show since it first aired and this is the first time that I'd actually rate a season as fucking terrible instead of simply not as good as other seasons.

I think I'd prefer a new shitty Family Guy episode over a new South Park episode at this point.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

joz123

Potato del Grande
Well last season was the beginning of the end because they thought Hillary would win and had to change a ton of shit because of it. Trump must have them rattled.

Chris

Potato del Grande
They should have just gone with what they had, put in some references to alternate universes, have Hillary as President.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
They should have just gone with what they had, put in some references to alternate universes, have Hillary as President.

Yeah that's a decent idea. Basically could have written episodes making fun of how hillary would have handled all the situations trump is dealing with. Even if it was background shit, like a news crawl talking about how north korea bombed hawaii again, peace talks to commence soon. Or Mr garrison going on a tour promoting his new book "It's not my fault, fuck them all to death"

• 1Worf

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yeah that's a decent idea. Basically could have written episodes making fun of how hillary would have handled all the situations trump is dealing with. Even if it was background shit, like a news crawl talking about how north korea bombed hawaii again, peace talks to commence soon. Or Mr garrison going on a tour promoting his new book "It's not my fault, fuck them all to death"

Yea they could have had her doing the exact opposite of Trump but it turning out the same way in zany fashion or whatever.

• 1Solidarity