Soylent!

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Soylent - Free Your Body

Want to try it. Anyone have any experience with it? I love the idea of perfectly balanced nutrition coming so easily. The time, effort, mess this would save seems pretty badass. I think I would still have a real dinner most nights and use this every bfast and lunch. Although I can see subbing it for dinner semi-frequently too...

Siliconemelons

Where is the green stuff?

like...is this a joke? not the product- but the name...I get it, I get why the movie used it- but that movie like Hitler killed that stache and haircut- the movie killed that name :p

I would use it for breakfast and lunch during the work day- I have no problem with that- it may be good for my wife as she never has time with her job. But kids and weekends- no way something like this would fly.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Subsisting on this shit would be a miserable existence. Eating food is one of life's great pleasures, not to mention there is no way this would be as satiating for your body as real food would. Have you ever tried any other meal replacement drinks? There are tons of them on the market, and while they probably have a lot more junk ingredients than this, they don't even come close to making you feel as satisfied and staving off hunger as even a small amount of real food does.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
The name thing is kind of strange. Seems like terrible marketing to me, considering what soylent green turned out to be.

I also agree that eating is one of life's great pleasures, but it's also one of life's great pain in the asses. The process of going to the store, finding the items you want, bringing them home, storing them, bringing them back out and cooking/preparing them, eating, then cleaning up is, frankly, a ton of work and takes a significant portion of my time. I'm not the type of person who eats out more than once a week, so I find myself worrying about food-related stuff a lot.

Again, I'm not suggesting subsisting solely on this stuff, but having it as an alternative is pretty tempting. I have heard that it does actually fill you up nicely. This is largely due to the high carb content- which can be problematic for some. But that's one of the reasons I made this post. I'm curious what others think and if anyone actually has tried it (or knows someone that has).

Siliconemelons

I have done the OG Slimfast thing and the current Slimfast thing- each time with moderate success - I would drop 10-lb in a week or two then another 5 and it staves off and levels- once I stop however it will return fairly soon. The old slimfast was shake + shake + dinner- current slimfast routine is Shake + 1-2 "snack" items + Shake + small lunch item or 1 Large Lunch item no shake + dinner- I would buy the generic shakes as they didn't use sucralose (at the time, who knows now). Feeling "full" was the worst with just shakes, the new system the snacks and the half sandwich or whatever with lunch- its a lot better, deff if you spread it out... most of the good that this system does is get you regimented and spreads your food intake out throughout the day and tapers down at night, that's the real benefit.

I see this similar as stated - a nutrition drink and there are tons of them- this seems to be "better" or more natural than the others. They also are not promoting it, as slimfast etc. as a wright loss or control item- but as just convenient food that's good for you.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
The name thing is kind of strange. Seems like terrible marketing to me, considering what soylent green turned out to be.

I also agree that eating is one of life's great pleasures, but it's also one of life's great pain in the asses. The process of going to the store, finding the items you want, bringing them home, storing them, bringing them back out and cooking/preparing them, eating, then cleaning up is, frankly, a ton of work and takes a significant portion of my time. I'm not the type of person who eats out more than once a week, so I find myself worrying about food-related stuff a lot.

Again, I'm not suggesting subsisting solely on this stuff, but having it as an alternative is pretty tempting. I have heard that it does actually fill you up nicely. This is largely due to the high carb content- which can be problematic for some. But that's one of the reasons I made this post. I'm curious what others think and if anyone actually has tried it (or knows someone that has).
I didn't mean to imply that you would try to subsist off of it, but they clearly state that it's possible in the video on their website. I'm all for meal replacements now and then when you're on the go; however, the claims they make about "hundreds of people have been living on Soylent for months" are pretty unbelievable.

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
me and a mate from work tried this by making our own. the company wasn't shipping yet and we couldn't get it in australia anyway so we got a recipe and a spreadsheet and winged it. there's a few sites and forums going on around this obviously for dyi research. i did it for a few weeks, but it was a lot of hassle to create. if it came pre-made and chuck in some water or milk i'd go back to it for sure.

i was generally doing my 3 shakes a day during the week when i'm just grinding out work, then cook up my feasts on the weekend. it was very efficient, especially during the week when i couldn't be fucking bothered to see to my human needs. wake up. go to work. consume nutrients. work. consume nutrients. come home. consume nutrients. zone out then sleep and repeat. come friday evening it was food and booze cornucopia.

it didn't really taste like anything and i felt fine on it. i like the research into formulating "exactly what the human meat machine needs" and then make sure that's all catered for with minimum effort. tweak the formula for more protein if you're working out etc. and i wonder why this isn't already on my supermarket shelf. or alleviating world hunger. or other hippy things like that.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Just seems like a new take on MREs or meal replacement shakes, which are perfectly fine for what they're intended to be. But it takes a special kind of person to live in the most bountiful period of human existence and say no thanks I'll eat this tasteless shit.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Someone should make a cheaper version by using bug protein. If it was cheap enough I would definitely replace 90%+ of my food intake with that.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
i was generally doing my 3 shakes a day during the week when i'm just grinding out work, then cook up my feasts on the weekend. it was very efficient, especially during the week when i couldn't be fucking bothered to see to my human needs. wake up. go to work. consume nutrients. work. consume nutrients. come home. consume nutrients. zone out then sleep and repeat. come friday evening it was food and booze cornucopia.
This is pretty much exactly my intent. I like eating as much as anyone, but most of the time I want to be able to make worrying about food way lower on my priority list than it is now. Then splurge when I have the time and inclination.

It seems like making your own would be as much (or more) of pain in the ass as worrying about normal food, though. There is a 4-5 month backorder for soylent, so if I want to try it I'll have to wait it out.

Thanks for the vid Tuco, will check it out.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I might be mis-remembering, but I could swear that I watched a video somewhere (maybe the one Tuco linked, I can't watch it right now) where they got into the manufacturing of this stuff, which I believe was just a couple of them mixing all the ingredients together in a badly lit warehouse, and mice/rats running around the warehouse, possibly inconsistency of ingredients, etc. I can't remember it all, but that video Tuco linked looks really, really familiar. I know it was this Soylent stuff I watched because of the name. It was probably linked here or on FoH as well, since I rarely go anywhere else.

To be honest, I would consider something like this if it didn't taste like ass because I often wonder why I bother trying to make shit for work, as I inevitably end up with the same shit over and over or a trip to fast food. But I can't imagine anything of this nature being even remotely palatable after a week of nothing but that. Fuck, I'd get tired of In-n-Out if I had to eat it every day, and that actually tastes good.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You guys are doing it wrong. The hassle of getting and preparing food doubles as time spent with the missus.

I'm not really sure I could give up eating 'real' food, even though a lot of time does go into it. I have replaced my morning cereal and coffee with a coffee, whole milk, and protein powder drink. Saves time in the morning, which I desperately need to help my wife and son get off to work/daycare. Otherwise, I'm not sure I would do it.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
You people are bitching about the hassle of making food make no sense. Eat an avocado sandwich or something, if time is crucial, takes like fifteen seconds and it's ready to eat. Why spend money on some over processed bland garbage?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You people are bitching about the hassle of making food make no sense. Eat an avocado sandwich or something, if time is crucial, takes like fifteen seconds and it's ready to eat. Why spend money on some over processed bland garbage?
Because people are legitimately that lazy.

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
because soylent is supposed to deliver all the nutrients the body needs. avocado sandwiches, while delicious (when in season) with cracked pepper, are somewhat lacking in the wide variety of vitamins and minerals we require.

a shopping list of nutrients (protein powder, rolled oats, multivitamins, oils, spices etc. etc.) designed to deliver the recommended daily intake of everything nutrition science says we should eat is a bit different from nomming a dozen avocado sandwiches a week. i generally consume steaks and baby spinach, lentils, fruit and salads etc. and avoid fast / processed foods as a general rule, but the idea behind soylent is maximum output for minimum effort.

so yeah, laziness plays a part i suppose. and it is cheap. it comes out at like $50 a week for 3 "meals" a day. that is very cheap, especially if you only otherwise eat unprocessed foods and good cuts of meat.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
It's good neckbeard "food" I guess but I'd love to see them test that with an active adult and see how bad the fatigue and lack of muscle growth is.

Maybe Portland is cheap but I can get a weeks worth of groceries for about fifty to seventy bucks, . Depending on how I'm eating that week, usually two to three meals a day with snacks every couple of hours.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Even the vegan is saying Soylent is fucking stupid. That's the nail in the coffin bros.