Spartacus

Chinaman889

<Silver Donator>
Damn, reading about this thread got me looking at the documentary about Andy. Fuck, his goodbye to his kids was really sad.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Schags

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Damn, reading about this thread got me looking at the documentary about Andy. Fuck, his goodbye to his kids was really sad.

I helped kick start that thing and it's on my list to watch but every time I go across it I'm like, yeah not today. Loved the show, going to be hard to watch when I eventually do.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
it's really bizarre that andy's death still hits me harder than just about anyone in my personal life.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I just rewatched Rome and I am now watching this streaming turd.

Terrible acting and terrible effects, how does one like this?

• 2Dislike
  • 1Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I just rewatched Rome and I am now watching this streaming turd.

Terrible acting and terrible effects, how does one like this?

If you're talking about the pilot episode than I agree. If you are referring the rest of the series then you're just wrong, sorry.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Well I'm on episode 1 which is one of the shittiest things I've watched in a long time.

Yeah episode one (the pilot) sucks and is radically different than the rest of the series, as well as using cartoony gore that isn't used in any other episodes. Make it through 5 or so episodes then report back.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

Ya, the first couple episodes of Spartacus suck. I think it was the end of maybe episode 3 where things start to get good.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
episode 1 is drawn out to build the storyline. Real nice visuals
episodes 2 is tons of penises.
episode 3 is when it gets goog

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I didn't like Spartacus for several reasons but I did enjoy Gods of the Arena and would have liked to have seen more of Gannicus. Watching this stuff after Rome makes disappointment difficult to avoid though as the quality gap between them is huge.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I didn't like Spartacus for several reasons but I did enjoy Gods of the Arena and would have liked to have seen more of Gannicus. Watching this stuff after Rome makes disappointment difficult to avoid though as the quality gap between them is huge.

They are a totally different type of show and in no way comparable.

• 3Like

Cybsled

I mean sure you can compare them, but it is also sort of like comparing The Expanse to Stargate SG-1. They're both shows that involve space and they are both good in their own ways, but they are also completely different types of shows.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Still don't get how that makes them incomparable
It makes them completely different styles of show that might appeal to different groups. Does it make incomparable? No. Comparing them though might not mean much if drama appeals to someone but action shoot em ups do not.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
The only thing they have in common are the period/setting-- Rome, as well as having nudity and violence.

Rome is more of a macro level drama that focuses on Rome the country while focusing on a few main characters. More drama heavy than violent.

Spartacus is more of a micro level story focusing on Spartacus' life and the arena. Plenty of drama, intrigue, and politics as well imho, particularly as the show moves on, but the focus is on his life and the companions he picks up along the way.

Rome is certainly more cerebral in a sense, but imho I just enjoyed Spartacus more, especially once he teams up with Gannacus and they start taking on the Romans. By the end of the series, I found myself way more emotionally invested in Spartacus' characters than I did Rome.

• 3Like

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
I found myself way more emotionally invested in Spartacus' characters than I did Rome.

Absolutely. I loved both series and while the style and budgets were much different the good actors in Spartacus easily go toe to toe with the Rome actors. There is one giant gaping exception to that rule but we won’t speak of it here. Spartacus was much higher on the drama and investment in characters side. Like was said above, after watching one season learning about Andy’s death was goddamn awful because his character was that powerful.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I always loved the shit out of the first season of this, but for some reason I couldn't get through the second season. Crixis to me turned into a whiny little bitch and it just wasn't the same without Andy. Maybe I'll give it another shot sometime, but I guess I'm also satisfied just having watched and re-watched season 1. So damn good.