Spartacus

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Great show.

Kind of surprised by crazy bitch ending.

Anyway, I kind of felt that last "gladiator scene" was not only an opportunity for Liam to embrace that role (which he never had the chance to) while also giving a tribute to Andy. Yeah it was to honor Crixus but it was also to honor the dead and the dying, and I felt like it was also an obvious tribute to Whitfield.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Dude he stabbed him out of his eyes.

can't wait till next week, but I wish it'd keep coming.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It was fun to watch some arena style fighting again, although where in the fuck did those bleachers come from?

Anyway, I think either Spartacus or Gannicus is going to get killed by Crassus. If not there isn't much point in that whole sequence at the beginning of the season where he trains with the champion gladiator and then beats him.

panda_assassin

Molten Core Raider
It was fun to watch some arena style fighting again, although where in the fuck did those bleachers come from?
Haha I thought the same thing about the bleachers and then just put it up to who the fuck cares. I love this show and as sad as I will be to see it go they seem to be setting it up for one hell of a finale.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I could care less about this DaVinci show. If we don't get some sort of alternate reality ending where the slaves win, I'm done with Starz.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
I was hoping the midget was going to rape Naevia right there in front of everyone. Oh well.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I dont think they will let the slaves win. They have held true to historical facts the whole show (with minor additions and subtractions, but still) so I dont think that will change now, especially given how they just added Pompey into the mix (which really happened at the end of the 3rd servile war). But Spartacus' body was never found or claimed by Crassus, or anyone for that matter, so I see him living somehow. He and his people will be defeated but the man himself will somehow continue on and leave the rest for speculation.

Grimey

Golden Knight of the Realm
Haha I thought the same thing about the bleachers and then just put it up to who the fuck cares. I love this show and as sad as I will be to see it go they seem to be setting it up for one hell of a finale.
If you look in the background when Crassus's slave girl is talking to Tiberius and telling him to go fuck himself, you can see lots of people moving carved stones and whatnot to make the benches.

iannis

Musty Nester
I just assumed that they'd caved it out of solid rock with their swords.

If an army of slaves can build the pyramids in a season they can damn sure build an ampitheatre in an afternoon.

It's too bad Naevia is still alive. It's really just too bad.

iannis

Musty Nester
Letting Spartacus live would actually be sort of a not-happy ending. It'd be like at the end of braveheart if they just let William Wallace get up and went "jk, jk. Go back home man. Just try to behave this time, ok?"

Either dead in honorable glory or captured and sold back into ignoble slavery. I can see the Crassus character maybe chopping off his hand and taking him on as a house slave JUST to fuck with Spartacus for the rest of their lives.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Given the final speech from last night's episode I'm convinced they're all going to die in glorious battle.

Binkles_sl

shitlord
I thought the episode was okay. The gladiator fight tribute for Crixus seemed out of place. The Romans were closing in and the end seems near, so lets have a party. Spartacus has spent most of this season attempting to get the slaves to act more noble than their roman counterparts, and he then proceeds to force the Romans to fight for their amusement. I could understand it more if there was a gradual depiction of Spartacus relinquishing his high-minded standards, but there wasn't a clear portrayal of that this season. It seemed to drag on forever and, with no sense of peril for the slaves, it seemed like mildly titillating slaughter.

iannis

Musty Nester
It's abrupt, but I think spartacus knows he's just straight up fucked. He lost Crixus (and the men that followed crixus, which was a significant portion of his fighting force), he's been fleeing from Crassus' army, he's been flanked to the north, and his gambit to decapitate that army to his south ultimately failed.

So yeah, basically I entirely agree with you. But I don't think it's a character shift -- I think it's just "well, fuck. we're dead pretty soon. lets grab what justice we can".

(+ the homage to andy stuff. I'm surprised that no one shouted his name during the "remember the fallen" part. They could have worked it in there. I'm a little surprised they didn't. An overabundance of class has never exactly been a flaw of this show. It would have been sort of tacky, but tacky in a nice way)