Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (Part One) (2022)

joz123

Potato del Grande
Easily as good as the first one with some new things thrown in. There is so much going on it demands a home watch with the ability to pause or slow things down. Loved the call back to the first movie for the primary villains origin.
Much larger scale to the whole plot which remember, is not going to resolve in this, there’s a sequel. Did not disappoint in the slightest.
I'll only see it if Nic Cage is Noir Spider-Man again.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Let's just say its clear he will be in part two in a fairly big way

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Just got home from seeing it. Really god damn good. I'll say the plot was stronger than the first, but because the original was "the first", it still takes the edge. I really really liked this a lot. So damn many spider-people! And it seems that most are mermaid-americans.

• 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The prominent #BLM sticker on Miles backpack when most all other words in that scene were blurred out was jarring. Disappointed they felt the need to throw that in a movie starring a black super hero with a black role model father and black supporting characters. None of that could speak for itself apparently.

Other than that, fantastic as expected. Wish the next was sooner.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
This is damn good and very enjoyable. Took my 9yo to it and we both loved it. Excellent story, funny, and a lot of heart. Better even than the first spiderverse which was already good.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Wish it wasn't Amazon making it but I will give it a shot.
Sony is going to pollute their Spidey brand. Feige has made some iffy decisions lately, but Sony should listen to him about not rushing out too many Spidey projects.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
I know there's almost no use trying to apply logic to continuity to multi-dimensional time travel stuff but I'm curious.

We've seen in Loki and What If that just about everything Miguel warned about when messing with canon events (absolute points) is true. Change the intended flow and universes will collapse. So there's a couple possibilities for part two.
Miguel is right and part 2 is awkward because the "good team" is actually fucking things up pretty bad. Entirely possible but it would be a big hole to climb out of for any redemption for Miles and Gwen.
Miles, being an anomaly himself, can safely change canon events in his universe. I'm guessing this is where part 2 will go but it kind of breaks everything we know about multidimensional "rules" thus far. Is he limited to only his home universe or does he instantly become the most powerful being anywhere by being "outside" the flow of dimensions.
Third possibility. Some new exception to the "rules" of multidimensions that potentially saves all of MCU Phase 4+.

2nd and 3rd options seem to have some MCU-wide implications. It would be unexpected for Marvel to introduce the "solution" to Phase 4-5 in a Sony animated movie.

Probably best to not think too much about it I guess since everything but spiderman has been a hot mess since Endgame

In any case, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was not distracted by any BLM posters or anything. You had black villains portrayed as typical black thugs. When the guidance counsellor was trying to manufacture oppression for Miles it seemed pretty based to me. Good chance I missed something as there was a lot going on but every relationship was hetero.

Theater I was in didn't have the sound mixed right and I've gotten too used to closed captioned that I probably missed a bunch of stuff with all the accents and spanglish. I'll probably see it again in theaters just because a part of me misses the theater experience and this is a good one for multiple viewings.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
I'm not complaining, but that had to be one of the longest cold opens ever too. I completely forgot that we hadn't had the opening credits by the time they popped up.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Looking forward to seeing this. Not sure if I will before it hits HBO or not. Working graves limits my opportunities to see things in theaters.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
It was fantastic. The pandering was kept to a minimum, which is as much as we can hope for these days I guess. Cameos are amazing, really well put together movie. This is how you do a multiverse that has stakes, something Marvel completely fucking whiffed.

Best superhero movie since Infinity War, and it isn't particularly close.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Theater I was in didn't have the sound mixed right and I've gotten too used to closed captioned that I probably missed a bunch of stuff with all the accents and spanglish. I'll probably see it again in theaters just because a part of me misses the theater experience and this is a good one for multiple viewings.
Our experience was pretty shit but I didn’t let it ruin it for me. Lady to the left of us with two kids. One was like three and talking and making noise the entire movie. The mom kept getting FaceTime calls and answered them, three times. Their seats were fucking trashed when they left.

Behind us some dude kept commenting “Dayum” “ Sheeeeit”, etc. started singing to the old blues song the uncle put on.

Both families were likely BLM subscribers.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I know there's almost no use trying to apply logic to continuity to multi-dimensional time travel stuff but I'm curious.

We've seen in Loki and What If that just about everything Miguel warned about when messing with canon events (absolute points) is true. Change the intended flow and universes will collapse. So there's a couple possibilities for part two.
Miguel is right and part 2 is awkward because the "good team" is actually fucking things up pretty bad. Entirely possible but it would be a big hole to climb out of for any redemption for Miles and Gwen.
Miles, being an anomaly himself, can safely change canon events in his universe. I'm guessing this is where part 2 will go but it kind of breaks everything we know about multidimensional "rules" thus far. Is he limited to only his home universe or does he instantly become the most powerful being anywhere by being "outside" the flow of dimensions.
Third possibility. Some new exception to the "rules" of multidimensions that potentially saves all of MCU Phase 4+.

2nd and 3rd options seem to have some MCU-wide implications. It would be unexpected for Marvel to introduce the "solution" to Phase 4-5 in a Sony animated movie.

Probably best to not think too much about it I guess since everything but spiderman has been a hot mess since Endgame

In any case, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was not distracted by any BLM posters or anything. You had black villains portrayed as typical black thugs. When the guidance counsellor was trying to manufacture oppression for Miles it seemed pretty based to me. Good chance I missed something as there was a lot going on but every relationship was hetero.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It was fantastic. The pandering was kept to a minimum, which is as much as we can hope for these days I guess. Cameos are amazing, really well put together movie. This is how you do a multiverse that has stakes, something Marvel completely fucking whiffed.

Best superhero movie since Infinity War, and it isn't particularly close.
The prequel to this movie released after Infinity War.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Went to see this with Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus today. Only thing which surprised me was the run time. I didn't think they'd go as long as they did with it. But there was enough to cover and pacing was good so it didn't feel to me like it lagged at all.

So far this is, IMHO, the best stuff around a Marvel character to come out since Endgame. Although GOTGv3 wouldn't be incredibly far behind it. Looking forward to the second part. I also wonder how they'll pull it together , but I guess that's a sign that they're doing their jobs as writers. As mentioned all the cameos were blistering fast coming at ya but well done enough and didn't overpower what was happening in the movie. Also enjoyed that they were just self aware enough to sprinkle in just enough meta, without getting silly.

Personal wild ass tangent theory on how they pull it all together...

"Team Miles" goes romping around and discovers/meets Madame Web. She shows how Captain 2099 only sees the destruction because he sees how to break the web, but not how to weave the web. Since they have "cyber girl spidey" on the team Madame Web shows them tricks, she automates it, and they "canon proof" the Spiderverse to restore proper free will. This also sets up Cyber Spidey Girl and Miles to allow for Gwen's inevitable heroic sacrifice."

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I had trouble understanding Gwen in the beginning too. The biggest one was Hobie, he’d throw in random comments and I couldn’t hear what he was saying.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Fx3hFveXwAM-ccS.jpeg

• 9Worf
Reactions: 8 users