Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
lol, this is mary jane watson???

fuck this movie.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
oh she looks like some domican puerto rican shit in the movie when they ugly'd her up. But I guess she's also some half black.

Basically in this version spiderman loves the chocolate ladies

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
oh she looks like some domican puerto rican shit in the movie when they ugly'd her up. But I guess she's also some half black.

Basically in this version spiderman loves the chocolate ladies

Maybe it's just part of his childish naivete.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
It looks like she has done the red hair thing in the past.

landscape-1471622286-zendaya-red-hair.jpg

And... she only has a single name of Zendaya. What, is she Sting? That's strange.

Haha if they give her the red hair that would be awesome.

Forgot to give this a ranking. It's about as good as Ant Man.

I saw Civil War again before this to prepare and while I still think it has the two best superhero fights ever made, and the opening is pretty good - the middle drags ALOT on a rewatch.

I'm happy watching mid tier marvel movies, that's 7/10 in an ocean of shitty remakes at the moment.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I was also pretty let down by the soundtrack. I had high hopes for it considering it was set in high school and Time to Pretend was used in the first trailer, but it ended up failing to deliver any heart-melting anthems like this:

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Not that I don't disagree with you, but I was pretty excited by hearing Spoon and Ramones. Even Canned Heat and Rolling Stones, it just felt like they didn't give it enough time to shine by themselves ala GotG, but regardless was generic even if they did.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

I just got home from seeing this. I'm floored, that was a great movie. I didn't care about Peter being interested in the black chick. She was attractive, so it makes sense. The plot of the movie was pretty damn good as well. I completely understood the logic behind the Vulture. And he was such a great villain for Spider-Man in this movie. Plus, the vulture suit was pretty awesome. They made it feasible for a guy in a flying bird suit to make sense.

I'm very pleased with this movie. I was entertained from start to finish. Plus, Holland played a GREAT Peter!

I only have one minor complaint, but even that is extremely tiny.
I wasn't a fan of the fact that they made the nerdy not white or not black (I don't really know what she was) chick into MJ. It didn't really make sense. It was social justice for the sake of being social justice. It didn't add ANYTHING to the story. In fact, it takes away a bit. MJ is supposed to be a model type. Ravishing red head that everyone lusts after, and this girl clearly was not. Nor can she ever grow into that as an adult. *shrugs*

That's a pretty minor complaint, though. The movie was awesome.
because she is not MJ. And I am not kidding about this. This was the creators being absolute retards, who thought, "btw Robin is my middle name" was a great idea. THAT is what this is. Shes not mary Jane. has nothing in common with mary jane. The director just thought it would be funny to have her initials to be MJ like Mary Jane. So, its not even an alter of Diversity cult nonsense.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
because she is not MJ. And I am not kidding about this. This was the creators being absolute retards, who thought, "btw Robin is my middle name" was a great idea. THAT is what this is. Shes not mary Jane. has nothing in common with mary jane. The director just thought it would be funny to have her initials to be MJ like Mary Jane. So, its not even an alter of Diversity cult nonsense.

That seems unlikely - she had a very minor role and got a headliner credit - which implies further involvement in later films, and at that point, who else could she be?

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
never read the miles version of Spiderman but is his "MJ" different than Mary Jane Watson? I mean according to the kids talking all the rest of the supporting cast (pakistani Flash, hawaiian fat friend, etc) are all Miles supporting cast?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Miles was actually part of the Ultimate Universe, and came into existence after Spider-Man had died. It was a long convoluted plot revolving around the Green Goblin. I'll spoiler the entire plot for you.

Peter and Mary Jane are having lunch when they are visited by a very begrudging Steve Rogers, who tells Peter to suit up and meet him for training. Peter meets Rogers at the cemetery where they begin a lesson on fighting smart versus fighting foolishly and how the second one can lead soldiers right to a cemetery like the one they are standing in. Rogers gets called away by Carol Danvers, stating that General Nick Fury and his Avengers have gone rogue. Peter follows Rogers to the Queensborough Bridge where he witnesses a massive explosion.

Meanwhile, Norman Osborn once again transforms into the Green Goblin and escapes the Triskelion, along with Dr. Octopus, Sandman, Kraven the Hunter, Electro and Vulture and hides in an apartment building near Central Park. They witness the explosion on the news and Osborn states that since S.H.I.E.L.D. is occupied it's the perfect time to do God's work: kill Spider-Man. Otto objects to this plan and, although he is grateful that Norman freed him from prison, decides that he has no grudge against Peter Parker and wants to continue his career as a scientist, and tells Norman that they should be proud that they created Spider-Man together. Norman transforms and hurls Otto out of the window. Otto uses his ability to control metal to form his "Octopus Arms" out of any and all of the metallic objects in the area. Norman leaps after him, stating that Otto is a fool for believing that ever he had anything to do with the creation of Spider-Man after which Norman overpowers Otto and deals a fatal blow to him.

Peter gets a phone call from Mary Jane saying that Norman has escaped prison and will most likely come after Peter's family. He decides his family is more important than joining a fight he doesn't belong in and swings home before Norman and his crew can get there. Peter arrives at home and warns both Aunt May and Gwen to pack and drive away from the city until he calls them. He then heads out to find Norman to put an end to this, when he once again is called by Mary Jane. She tells him that she just witnessed Norman murdering Otto Octavius on the news. Peter heads to where the battle took place to find Otto's body lying lifeless in the middle of the street. A bystander points up to where Norman fled the scene to and Peter went to investigate the apartment above. Finding nothing there he once again heads out in search of Norman and the rest of his team of fugitives, when he spots Captain America standing over a beaten Nick Fury and decides to intervene. He arrives at the scene and sees the The Punisher aiming a rifle at Cap. He immediately dives towards Cap and pushes him out of the way, getting shot himself. Osborn and the remaining members of his group show up at the Tinkerer's Lair and demand he supply them with weapons, including Vulture's Suit as well as blasters and knives for Kraven.

Meanwhile back at the Queensboro bridge, a squad of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents arrived at the bridge and, during the momentary confusion caused by Spider-Man's appearance, shoot and attempt to apprehend Fury. Filled with remorse, Frank begged the agents to "punish him" for shooting an innocent kid. Captain America promises Peter that his wound is not fatal and commends him for taking a bullet for him without a second thought, stating that when he grows up Peter will be the best out of all of them. War Machine then arrives and blows up the bridge, causing everyone but Spider-Man, who uses his ability to stick to surfaces, to fall into the water below. Peter manages to gain his composure and dresses his wounds with his webbing. He then decides he needs to go to a hospital, however doing so will require him to reveal his secret identity, which he decides he is fully prepared to do. He then spots Osborn and his crew and follow them to his house instead of going to the hospital.

Osborn and his group then appear at the Parker residence looking for Peter. However they are instead met by Johnny and Bobby. Johnny manages to overpower Norman, but Sandman intervenes and completely engulfs Johnny in sand, putting out his flame. Ice Man tries to help Johnny but is swiftly defeated by Electro. Just as they are about to enter Peter's house, they spot him down the street, unmasked. He quickly takes out the Vulture with his webs and, even though he can barely stand, prepares to fight the rest. Peter lies and tells the rest of the villains that S.H.I.E.L.D. and the New Ultimates are on their way, and that it would be in their best interest to just surrender. However Electro points out that Spider-Man is hurt and Sandman, Kraven and himself prepare to attack. Peter, thinking quickly, kicks open a fire hydrant and aims the jet of water at them using his hands. Electro shorts out and electrocutes both Sandman and Kraven. Peter then decks Electro, knocking him out. Peter then, exhausted, notices that a crowd of his neighbors has gathered around him in the street. Some of them are even recording him on their cellphones. He asks them to call the police and an ambulance.

Peter then gets attacked, once again, by Sandman, Vulture and Electro, leaving him even more injured than before. In a panic, one of the neighbors calls Aunt May and informs her that her nephew is Spider-Man and that he's about to be killed. May turns the car around and speeds back home. She arrives just as Electro is about to deal the final blow to Peter and manages to shoot him three times in the chest with her revolver. Electro falls to the ground, though to be dead, but not before once again shorting out and electrocuting Sandman and Vulture, leaving them all unconscious.

Mary grabs Peter and they embrace. Norman then wakes up and charges straight towards them.[7] Peter grabs hold of Mary and Gwen and swings them to safety. He then knocks Norman down long enough to wake Johnny up. Johnny lights up and confronts Norman, only to have Norman absorb his flame and knock Johnny to the ground. Empowered, Norman unleashes a storm of fireballs at Peter and the surrounding vehicles. In the fiery chaos Peter manages to flank Norman and hit him from behind with a mailbox and hurl him into the open jet of water from the fire hydrant he earlier used to take out the rest of Norman's group.

Stripped of his new power, Norman manages to once again get up and is about to deal a fatal blow to Peter when Mary Jane runs into him with a truck she managed to steal. The truck flips over but Peter manages to get her out and the two kiss. He then throws her to safety and, in one last effort, lifts the truck over his head and crushes Norman with it... twice. Unfortunately, before Peter is able to get to safety the truck explodes, critically wounding him, and hurdles him onto the grass. Mary Jane and Johnny (having woken up) rush towards him. MJ says they need to get him to a hospital. Johnny suggests that he fly him to the hospital, but MJ says he can't be moved in his current condition. Aunt May finally manages to get away from Gwen and back to the scene of the fight with Gwen chasing her, only for them to see Peter lying on the ground, dying. They immediately rush towards him, with Aunt May, asking him what he had done. He manages to tell Aunt May that he is happy that he finally was able to make up for not saving his Uncle Ben by now saving her. He then seemingly passes out and Johnny listens to his chest for a heartbeat, but to everyone's horror, hears none. In the fiery wreckage Norman, transformed back into his human form, manages to smugly smirk before he, too, dies.

peter-600x910%201.jpeg

Ultimate-Spider-Man-meets-an-ultimate-fate-SU674H3-x-large.jpeg

The 2nd picture shows what that world's Mary Jane looked like.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
That seems unlikely - she had a very minor role and got a headliner credit - which implies further involvement in later films, and at that point, who else could she be?
Here is the literal quote from wikipedia

On giving the character the initials "MJ", Feige said "she's not Mary Jane Watson ... but giving her the initials that remind you of that dynamic certainly is intriguing about what could go forward." Feige added that Michelle is "not obsessed with" Parker like Watson is at times in the comics, "she's just observant. But she's there. And to have fun with that while at the same time having it be different characters that can provide a different dynamic [is the point]."

It is exactly as Caliane described, the writers are just retarded and wanted to throw something in there people would recognize even if it makes no goddamn sense.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Her name is not Mary Jane Watson.

Speaking of Spider-ladies, I liked that Betty Brant was doing the school news show.

No. Her name is just "Michelle" and she goes by MJ. What exactly do you think they are trying to get across there?

Vaclav

Here is the literal quote from wikipedia

On giving the character the initials "MJ", Feige said "she's not Mary Jane Watson ... but giving her the initials that remind you of that dynamic certainly is intriguing about what could go forward." Feige added that Michelle is "not obsessed with" Parker like Watson is at times in the comics, "she's just observant. But she's there. And to have fun with that while at the same time having it be different characters that can provide a different dynamic [is the point]."

It is exactly as Caliane described, the writers are just retarded and wanted to throw something in there people would recognize even if it makes no goddamn sense.

It's not impossible, but again, they booked her as a major credit - she's going to be something going forward.

And to actually repeat the Feige quote fully...

For Feige’s part, he wanted to tread carefully by underlining the fact that Zendaya is still playing a character named Michelle and not Mary Jane Watson. However, he will at least agree that calling Zendaya’s character an MJ of a different name does underscore she will have some similarities to comicdom’s most famous redhead.

“In setting up this will be a very different thing, she’s not Mary Jane Watson, that’s not who the character is.” Feige tells me. “But giving her the initials that remind you of that dynamic certainly is intriguing about what could go forward.”

Indeed, after we note that Michelle is keeping sharp eyes on Peter’s coming and goings (just like Mary Jane Watson did in Tom DeFalco’s run of The Amazing Spider-Man), Feige adds, “Clearly, she says she’s not obsessed with him, she’s just observant. But she’s there. And to have fun with that while at the same time having it be different characters that can provide a different dynamic [is the point].”

Note that all so important "(Feige) he will at least agree that calling Zendaya's character an MJ of a different name does underscore she will have some similarities to comicdom's most famous redhead. AKA She might fill the role with a new name to fit her slightly different appearance or what-not. Or other permutations. Feige's statements didn't say anything at the end of the day. Just that she's not Maryjane Watson - but perhaps the MCU doesn't have a Maryjane Watson and they have a Michelle J-something Insertlastnamehere instead.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
7.5 or 8/10 , extremely charming movie and easily the best MCU villain they've had yet. Love them working more plots of how the society is changing due to all these cosmic events instead of everything just being normal for everyone else. Hoping they keep that sorta blue collar mutual respect between Parker and Tombs and have them operating in the grey area. Also enjoyed hearing Jennifer Connelly as Karen and the fact she's married to Paul Bettany is nice sorta easter egg especially because I imagine they'll make a scene between Karen and Vision if just in passing.

They are also clearly setting up Miles Morales since Aaron Davis (his uncle) is in the movie and mentioned a nephew in the neighborhood. Not sure if they'll work towards the Sinister Six or what but hoping Kraven is the next villain he faces, though here's to the long shot of Morbius so then it'll just be like 10 movies, 4 netflix series, and a mountain of cocaine till we get Frankencastle.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
It's not impossible, but again, they booked her as a major credit - she's going to be something going forward.

Do you know how crediting works? Fucking Gwyneth Paltrow was 4th billed. Zendaya showing up in there before they drop to 3-6 names at a time means jack shit, because there was jack and shit for known actors in this movie, and two of them were "with" and "and" types at the end (which is where GP should have been, why is she back anyway, dammit?) I'm sure Zendaya -- stupid name btw -- just managed to pull slightly more $$ than the no-names, just because she was known by someone... somewhere... for something previously. Modeling or something? I don't know.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I can't be bothered to check, but was the Asian high school principal the same actor who was in Captain America - there was a sepia coloured photo of that character in his office

Vaclav

Do you know how crediting works? Fucking Gwyneth Paltrow was 4th billed. Zendaya showing up in there before they drop to 3-6 names at a time means jack shit, because there was jack and shit for known actors in this movie, and two of them were "with" and "and" types at the end (which is where GP should have been, why is she back anyway, dammit?) I'm sure Zendaya -- stupid name btw -- just managed to pull slightly more $$ than the no-names, just because she was known by someone... somewhere... for something previously. Modeling or something? I don't know.

For the MCU specifically, every new (non-villain - and many villains still recur [Tom H. being especially noteworthy]) person billed as such has had a recurring role to my knowledge - not necessarily major, but a consistent multifilm contract. (Some existing people to get overbilled for reprising roles like Goop girl - but that's a different story)

But Feige and others have said that "Michelle" is the part of something long term - I've not seen anything pop up about contract length, but she's clearly got one.

I wasn't meaning to state anything more than she'll be back - if you were over-reacting because you took the words "major credit" to imply that she'd going to be a major role going forward - I just meant where her credit fell descriptively. Period. (which from what I've always been told "top billing" or "major credit" was the proper term for anyone who gets a credit on the front end of the movie)

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
This movie is pure undistilled joy. Love it and going to see it again in Imax in NYC next weekend.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I can't be bothered to check, but was the Asian high school principal the same actor who was in Captain America - there was a sepia coloured photo of that character in his office

Yeah he was playing his own grandson.