Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I have to ask, do you have some sort of RSS feed set up to alert you every time someone mentions Civil War just so you can shit on it? I've seen it in multiple forums here, not just the Movie House, and I'm constantly amazed by how quickly you are able to pounce. I gotta take my hat off to you, that's some dedication!

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I agree that some of the action scenes, particularly in IMAX 3D, were way too hard to follow. I also agree that my entire thought about this Zendaya chick is, "Am I supposed to know who this one-name-person is, and give a fuck about her?" She sucked, her character sucked, and the fact that she's going to be a significant character moving forward sucks. But Michael Fucking Keaton was awesome. I would watch an entire movie with Keaton as Vulture, because he is menacing as fuck without going overboard or being blatant about it. Fat sidekick was great, when I expected that he would annoy me. And seeing Gilfoyle is always a plus.

I loved Spider-Man's banter because he wasn't a fucking prick like the John Ralphio version, he was genuinely just chatty and overwhelmed, etc. I liked Happy and Stark providing just enough direction for the movie. The "diversity" was way too blatant but whatever, it doesn't bother me either. It was just so obvious that you couldn't help but notice it. As long as Peter himself wasn't changed just for the sake of diversity, I don't really care what everyone else is. I don't even care about the Zendaya thing, I just care that they wrote her character to be absolutely annoying and shitty as fuck.

Honestly, Holland, Keaton, and the fat sidekick were enough to make this movie enjoyable for me. Everyone else in the movie was really just window dressing.

I'll definitely watch this one here or there over the years. Solid 8/10 for me.

Gotta understand, for all the good knowledge Palum has in general, there are plenty of things where he is just a complete fucking idiot. Everyone knows it, they accept it and just deal with it...deep down Palum knows it too, but he'll probablly feign being offended by that and try to convince everyone that Civil War wasn't absolutely fucking great.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Gotta understand, for all the good knowledge Palum has in general, there are plenty of things where he is just a complete fucking idiot. Everyone knows it, they accept it and just deal with it...deep down Palum knows it too, but he'll probablly feign being offended by that and try to convince everyone that Civil War wasn't absolutely fucking great.

Civil War was mediocre to decent. It was tier 2 at best. It wasn't great and anyone who's honest with themselves in comparing it to Avengers 1, GotG, IM1, Cap2 etc., much less all comic book movies ever, knows that it had a weak villain, stupid plot and poor character motivations all to service great CGI.

• 3Picard
Reactions: 2 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Civil War was mediocre to decent. It was tier 2 at best. It wasn't great and anyone who's honest with themselves in comparing it to Avengers 1, GotG, IM1, Cap2 etc., much less all comic book movies ever, knows that it had a weak villain, stupid plot and poor character motivations all to service great CGI.
the villain was either Tony Stark or Captain America based on your point of view. man, such shitty villains.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
the villain was either Tony Stark or Captain American based on your point of view. man, such shitty villains.

They were never villains. The movie was not subtle, you knew they were being manipulated from the beginning. Then it turned out to be some random ex military dude from Latvia or something managed to almost destroy the Avengers by making fun of people and showing videos of an ex KGB assassin android did it instead of drunk driving. Hooooo boy. This is barely a cut above the Star Wars prequels for plot.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

I'll agree the villain wasn't anything special, but the entire story wasn't about beating a villain, it was about Civil War. I'm not convinced it was better than Avengers 1, but it was superior to GotG for me, superior to Cap2 (just barely, b/c Cap2 was also fantastic) and at least equal or better than IM1. Top to bottom the film was great.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Avengers 1 and 2 are solid shit movies. Winter Soldier, GoG and Civil War are the best Marvel movies to date.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Updated

Top 10 Comic Book movies to date as of July 6 2017:

1) Logan
2) Captain America: Civil War
3) The Avengers
4) Spider-Man 2
5) The Dark Knight
6) Captain America: The Winter Soldier
7) X2
8) Guardians of the Galaxy
9) Iron Man
10) Spider-Man: Homecoming

This Kang trolling. Spiderman 2 above Dark Knight? X2 on the list at all and No Deadpool? Typical keg, mix of reasonable picks with utterly retarded shit to elicit a response.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
This Kang trolling. Spiderman 2 above Dark Knight? X2 on the list at all and No Deadpool? Typical keg, mix of reasonable picks with utterly retarded shit to elicit a response.
I've already discussed my position on Deadpool. it's too much tryhard edgelord bullshit for my taste. Spiderman 2 remains one of the finest super hero movies ever created. it's a close call with the Dark Knight, but S2 wins clean.

• 2Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just finished our viewing - simply amazing - I think this might be my favorite MCU flick to date. Gotta let it sink in, but really, really happy with it. Keaton was perfect for the role as everyone stated.

Not sure how I feel about Tom Holland, but the writing for Spidey was damn near perfect.

The homage within the homage about halfway in tickled my fancy sooooo much.
The Ferris Buehler style crossing a bunch of people's yards doing little vignettes ending with the pool party with FBDO running in the background with him quipping "Hey, great movie!" - sooooo perfect...

I also got a huge kick out of the second ending scene
"Ok, do I have to do any more of this?" can be taken both in character and out with how supposedly Chris Evans is anxious to stop being Captain America in addition to Captain in character clearly wanting to get done with all the silly school promo films

• 2Solidarity

Fadaar

That guy
Really liked it overall, but agree on the general dislike of the action scenes. Super dark and hard to follow, just generally not very good. The "twist" I didn't see coming but wasn't really important to the story anyway, things still would have gone down that exact same path except for the one obvious change.

also fuck you Captain America

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
not really sure I understand the complaints about the action scenes.

Did you guys see it in 3D or imax or something? I saw it in plain old normal 2D and had no problem following the action. The only part that got a bit over the top was the final fight on the jet with the reflector cameras making it look like they were fighting on a disco ceiling. I mean I could still follow the action it was just slightly annoying.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
not really sure I understand the complaints about the action scenes.

Did you guys see it in 3D or imax or something? I saw it in plain old normal 2D and had no problem following the action. The only part that got a bit over the top was the final fight on the jet with the reflector cameras making it look like they were fighting on a disco ceiling. I mean I could still follow the action it was just slightly annoying.

I was wondering the same thing. I never see shit in 3D, adds nothing and detracts much.

Seems like my suspicions were right after hearing more reviews from you guys, sounds like a solid B+ A- tier Marvel movie, which means it's better than 99% of the shit out there.