Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Other than Spider-Man 1 and 2, what’s a good super hero movie Sony has made?
Spiderman Homecoming is a pretty fun movie. i dont know if you can count Men In Black in there. probably not.
oh and Punsher War Zone is off the hook.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Spiderman Homecoming is a pretty fun movie. i dont know if you can count Men In Black in there. probably not.
oh and Punsher War Zone is off the hook.
Homecoming was a joint project and arguably, without Disney/Marvel interference it wouldn't have been anywhere near as good.

Men in black isn't a superhero movie, so no, I wouldn't count that.

And War-Zone? Really? So even if we did say their last good Super Hero movie was War-Zone.... a movie that scored 28% on RT, 5.8 on IMDB, and a 30% Critic/60% User review on Meta Critic....you're citing a movie that is 14 years old as "Sony can make better super Heroes movies that Marvel at this point" or however you worded it.

Green Hornet
Ghost Rider
Blood Shot
War-Zone (reviews worse than Blood Shot)

This whole list is, arguably, awful. The New Venom movies are fun, but they aren't great, but it's by far Sonys best work.

Anyway, it's all subjective I suppose, but the statement comes off as silly to me.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Here's a question though. since the Venom movies while not in the MCU, are acknowledged as part of the Multi-Verse...I wonder if we could see Garfield back at some point in their Venom movies. That might be interesting.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Homecoming was a joint project and arguably, without Disney/Marvel interference it wouldn't have been anywhere near as good.

Men in black isn't a superhero movie, so no, I wouldn't count that.

And War-Zone? Really? So even if we did say their last good Super Hero movie was War-Zone.... a movie that scored 28% on RT, 5.8 on IMDB, and a 30% Critic/60% User review on Meta Critic....you're citing a movie that is 14 years old as "Sony can make better super Heroes movies that Marvel at this point" or however you worded it.

Green Hornet
Ghost Rider
Blood Shot
War-Zone (reviews worse than Blood Shot)

This whole list is, arguably, awful. The New Venom movies are fun, but they aren't great, but it's by far Sonys best work.

Anyway, it's all subjective I suppose, but the statement comes off as silly to me.
fuck Rotten Tomatoes, that movie is decent. if you havent checked out War Zone yet, its definitely worth your time. they picked a woman to direct it and thought it would be a more sympathetic type of movie. what the studio didnt know is she instead went to the Punisher message boards and asked fans what they wanted to see in a Punisher movie. they gave her a list of badassery and she pretty much wrote it all down and put it in the film. its glorious.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
fuck Rotten Tomatoes, that movie is decent. if you havent checked out War Zone is definitely worth your time. they picked a woman to direct it and thought it would be a more sympathetic type of movie. what the studio didnt know is she instead went to the Punisher message boards and asked fans what they wanted to see in a Punisher movie and they gave her a list of badassery and she pretty much wrote it all down and put it in the film. its glorious.
I knew you’d say that about RT which is why I mentioned two other sites that compile multiple sources for overall scores.

and I’ve seen War Zone. I enjoyed parts of it but It’s not good lol, but again, it’s all subjective.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I knew you’d say that about RT which is why I mentioned two other sites that compile multiple sources for overall scores.

and I’ve seen War Zone. I enjoyed parts of it but It’s not good lol, but again, it’s all subjective.
eh no sweat. people like what they like. i enjoyed the hell out of it and i appreciated that the woman did her homework and took input from the fans and actually listened. its not perfect, but nothing is.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Here's a question though. since the Venom movies while not in the MCU, are acknowledged as part of the Multi-Verse...I wonder if we could see Garfield back at some point in their Venom movies. That might be interesting.
That has been a rampant rumor since last week. I've heard Garfield is already signed to more movies and they are fine with running two Spiderman universes in the movies...Garfield in one and universe and Holland finishing another 3 movies he was just signed to in the MCU universe concurrently now that they've established it with fans so successfully. I'm skeptical but could be interesting. I sure as hell would love to see Garfield in more movies.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
That has been a rampant rumor since last week. I've heard Garfield is already signed to more movies and they are fine with running two Spiderman universes in the movies...Garfield in one and universe and Holland finishing another 3 movies he was just signed to in the MCU universe concurrently now that they've established it with fans so successfully. I'm skeptical but could be interesting. I sure as hell would love to see Garfield in more movies.

He's a great spider-man and not as great Peter Parker, but that dude is so likable in his roles, I don't mind and I'd be all for seeing him back again. I hope they do it, honestly.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
War zone is fucking amazing but 80's They Live/ Maximum overdrive amazing ridiculous shit. Movie cracks me up just thinking of scenes

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
fuck Rotten Tomatoes, that movie is decent. if you havent checked out War Zone yet, its definitely worth your time. they picked a woman to direct it and thought it would be a more sympathetic type of movie. what the studio didnt know is she instead went to the Punisher message boards and asked fans what they wanted to see in a Punisher movie. they gave her a list of badassery and she pretty much wrote it all down and put it in the film. its glorious.

She basically had the same path to director as the John Wick guys. Grew up in martial arts, early adulthood was a stunt driver and fighter, then decided to get behind the camera and brought all that to bear.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
She basically had the same path to director as the John Wick guys. Grew up in martial arts, early adulthood was a stunt driver and fighter, then decided to get behind the camera and brought all that to bear.
Yup, basically a guy`s girl. There are too few of them on this planet.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Apart from the rocket launcher blowing up the tweaker in mid air, which is comedically laughable to watch, the rest of the movie was solid A+ punisher.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Apart from the rocket launcher blowing up the tweaker in mid air, which is comedically laughable to watch, the rest of the movie was solid A+ punisher.
Movie is just straight up ridiculous and hilarious

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I put Sony a step behind WB when it comes to competently putting together super hero movies. Marvel props up a lot and adds so much to their joint productions that it's jarring compared to their other efforts.

I'm hoping Morbius is a gem they've failed to produce on their own for once (like WB's Wonder Woman). The trailers are missing that usual Sony CGI sheen they tend to have, and the Venom movies have progressively gotten better at getting away from (and is entirely absent from their MCU Spider-Man collaborations).

As for this movie... getting tickets to go back and see it has sucked. Wife probably go on her own sometime this week as our preferred theaters/times have been impossible to pick up unless we want to wait until like next week. Especially with the screen reduction w/ Matrix out and some others out over the next week or so. As a result probably pass on Matrix in the theater (but I'm not missing Licorice Pizza this weekend).

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
OK, so went to see this. Pretty easily the best Spiderman movie. Pretty easily in a top 3 MCU films. All you have to do is admit that in a movie with magic and multiple universes intersecting you're going to have a "woke up screwing a hot stripper" movie..

i.e. You hold on, enjoy the ride, and know it might end badly...

Case in point the basis for which characters were being pulled into this universe being what it was, how did the character in the first post credit scene get there?

My only gripe, and it's one I can see why they did was
The Aunt May stuff , but I realize why they had to do it, they had to give each Spiderman a version of the same "cornerstone" which is always the power/responsibility thing.

The JJ Jameson as Alex Jones bit was funny, I don't think they "overdid" the humor because remember, humor is also a cornerstone of what makes Spiderman relatable.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Case in point the basis for which characters were being pulled into this universe being what it was, how did the character in the first post credit scene get there?

They know he's Peter Parker as it shows that in the post-credits scene in Let There Be Carnage. It's speculated, because of the way the symbiont reacted to seeing him that knowledge is shared between all symbionts regardless of which multiverse they are in. Which is while Venom didn't outright say he knew him, he acted like he was very familiar. I believe in the comics, the theory at play here was an actual thing as well.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
one nitpick re: the major central hook of the movie

Electro didn't know Peter Parker was Spider-man, in fact they use it as a miles morales easter egg, "I thought you were black". Electro shouldn't have been pulled into Tom Holland's universe, right?

re: Venom, I think imo they foreshadowed hard that Ned will merge with microVenom. They made a big deal of Maguire's spidey revealing that his best friend tried to kill him, and Ned telling Peter that he'll never betray him. The other option would be MJ.

I watched it a second time today since we have a lot of family over so taking kids and stuff in shifts. Its still good but not honestly as rewatchable, the great parts of the movie are the cool surprises and they aren't as interesting a second time. I haven't rewatched any of the Spider-man movies and I think this one will fall into that pile of MCU movies that I like, but don't really put into any sort of rotation.

Whereas Captain America, IM1, GOTG1, Thor 3 or really any of the Avengers movies I could rewatch over and over.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>

Electro didn't know Peter Parker was Spider-man, in fact they use it as a miles morales easter egg, "I thought you were black". Electro shouldn't have been pulled into Tom Holland's universe, right?

re: Venom, I think imo they foreshadowed hard that Ned will merge with microVenom. They made a big deal of Maguire's spidey revealing that his best friend tried to kill him, and Ned telling Peter that he'll never betray him. The other option would be MJ.

I watched it a second time today since we have a lot of family over so taking kids and stuff in shifts. Its still good but not honestly as rewatchable, the great parts of the movie are the cool surprises and they aren't as interesting a second time. I haven't rewatched any of the Spider-man movies and I think this one will fall into that pile of MCU movies that I like, but don't really put into any sort of rotation.

Whereas Captain America, IM1, GOTG1, Thor 3 or really any of the Avengers movies I could rewatch over and over.
he knows his name is Peter but that’s really it. So they went out on a limb pretty good with it. When Gwen showed up during their fight she calls him Peter. So maybe the spell wasn’t super picky and associated “Peter” and “spider-man”? I dunno but it’s the only explanation I can think of.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

ill definitely be rewatching to catch things i missed. and at least the first half of the film is multiple rewatch worthy.
while we are doing nitpicks, that one dude, (Flash?) got fat as fuck, he's as big as Ned.