Spider-Man

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
I didn't detect anything SJWie. My only two complaints were it's shortness and you had to play as MJ again.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
just beat it. thoroughly enjoyable.

i'll try to give some spoiler free pros and cons.

PROS
1. there is something so purely enjoyable about webswinging in this game. it's the first game i've ever played that offered me quick travel and i never took it.
2. collectibles: for the most part, these were done really well. the backpacks give little snippets of info which, at least for, encouraged me to go find them. the suit you get for doing it is kind of a cool easter egg, but i never wore it. i was more interested in just finding out what tiny piece of lore i was going to find in the next backpack. then there's the pictures, which i'm a little more torn about. i couldn't find a place to look at the pictures you took? i also would have really liked peter to give some information about the landmark's he was taking. a FEW of them did, like the wakandan embassy, but most of them he just says something generic if at all.
3. the story itself was done pretty well, i was into it the whole time i played, though act 3 seemed to be a little rushed. peter makes this HUGE deal about how big of a problem act 3 is, but the story missions are really just a couple boss battles.
pete mentions several times throughout the game how problematic the sinister six guys are individually, but then they end up just being one or two short missions with them before they're back at the raft.
. but outside of that, i was mostly happy with it.
4. combat was fun, responsive, and just the right amount of frantic. there are games like devil may cry where it feels like combat itself is a puzzle that you are constantly being judged on. this game had a great balance between enemies being different enough that you have to change your tactics depending on who you are fighting, without it being difficult to change those tactics on the fly.

CONS
1. MJ... okay, i'm torn on this because i love laura bailey... but outside of laura bailey? there wasn't much to really like. i mean, i didn't hate her... i didn't really like the character model, but that's superficial. if her name wasn't Maryjane Watson... would there have been any actual reason for her and peter to be romantically involved? i have no problem with a love story as long as it makes sense. there's plenty of reasons for peter to be attractive to someone, though the majority of that is subtle and/or when no one is looking. i mean, he's spider-man. he's brave, he's strong, he's selfless, he's brilliant. maryjane on the other hand... she's selfISH. i mean yeah, there's that scene where she saves spider-man but she says specifically "i'm tired of being the one who needs saving." or whatever. peter isn't being heroic to prove a point. he's heroic because of the greater good. i LOVE what he says about it during a phone conversation with MJ. they both miss screwing around all day, spending the day looking for good pizza. and it sucks that they had to grow up. but peter says something to the effect of "we sacrifice our days fighting bad guys so that other kids get to spend all day screwing around." i'm rambling but MJ in this is just... there's no reason for peter to want to be with her. she's not worthless or anything, i mean she's a good friend and a capable investigative journalist. but she's a terrible love interest.
2. spider gadgets. i think each one has their value and a purpose, but i used to web bomb and electric web 95% of the time. those two were just streets ahead of any other gadget that after getting them i never used anything else. i wish the other gadgets could have either had more effective upgrades or be different altogether.
3. costumes. not the costumes themselves, though i wish there were a little more variance... (the anti-ock suit and the MK II armor are incredibly similar. i would have liked the anti-ock suit to be white instead of yellow, but whatev). the powers. they mostly seemed uninspired or ineffective. the spirit spider fire didn't do nearly the amount of damage that i feel it should have. same with the iron spider's mechanical arms. i tried just about all of them and the only one that actually felt useful is the stark suit's spider bro. that thing was awesome.
4 skilltree was... fine. uninspired. it got the job done, but could have been INTERESTING. all the traversal and acrobatic skills should have just been baseline and replaced with a tech tree that added scan functionality, stealth bonuses, resistance to damage types... i know some of those are in the suit gadget section... i didn't really like that part.../shrug

overall i was really impressed with it. the webswinging alone was worth the price of admission. i know there are rumors of this being the first in a Marvel Video Game Universe and i am game. there are a couple questions that need to be addressed though. it's one thing having a connected cinematic universe... you can put out a few movies a year, each movie is $10 (ish), so there's not a huge barrier to watching all the movies. you can also have each movie be in a different genre and it enhances the entirety. with a game universe, each one is $60, the faster they start putting games out, the quicker the drop in quality. COD and AC are perfect examples. there was a point there with AC where like 4 games came out and i never even heard of them until years later through random happenstance.

another thing is which super hero? i mean i would LOVE to play as daredevil, to play through some of his stories. but... how on earth do you play as a blind person? i mean, i guess you could just ignore that gameplay-wise but it's such a huge part of who he is, how can you? ghost rider would be great to play as, he's even got his own travel power... but is he well-known enough to warrant a AAA game on?

the lego avengers games are actually pretty good, so if you did something similar, you could have an avengers game that allowed for multiple characters, though lego games are extremely simplified. having a character like thor and a character like dr strange as playable characters in the same game... their combat styles are so vastly different that in order to make them feel full and enjoyable, you'd almost double the development time.

j00t

DLC opinion

i'm a little frustrated in how the dlc's appear to be setup... the activities are just revamps and rehashes... instead of finding backpacks, you are finding paintings. instead of taskmaster challenges, it's screwball. SLIGHTLY different kinds of challenges, but basically the same. and the story is a super short cliffhanger. honestly there's no SJW nonsense that i can see in this game, so that's great, but you are charging people $10 for an hour and a half of content that ends with a big "to be continued" sign. a cliffhanger would have been fine if the story missions were longer, or there were more of them. but it was only a handful of them, really. really disappointing DLC to a really great game.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm only 29% of the way through the story, and level 13.

My son is 52% through the story and level 30? 32? Something like that. LOL He replays hide out fights over and over, and doesn't go after story stuff very much before getting distracted, but he's 5. (Just typed out level 5 haha), and so it's kind of expected that he'd play like that.

Every time I get back into this game, and start getting the hang of fighting again, and start to feel the lure and draw, I have to stop. Feels Bad! Luckily, you can make progress in 30-45 minute chunks if you have too.

• 1Like

Crone

Is the DLC really $25 + $10 + $10?

Wow... no Season Pass at a discount or something? I really like this game, but not going to pay those prices. :(

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Is the DLC really $25 + $10 + $10?

Wow... no Season Pass at a discount or something? I really like this game, but not going to pay those prices. :(
I haven't checked recently, but I'm pretty sure the $25 is the season pass.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just got this. Went to play for one minute "to check it out" and played for goddamn two hours. For some reason my one year old laughs hysterically at me zipping through the city

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

Just got this. Went to play for one minute "to check it out" and played for goddamn two hours. For some reason my one year old laughs hysterically at me zipping through the city
Yea, it's pretty amazing. I do agree with some of the complaints that the collections get kind of out of control.

The way I've done it is just focus the main story, but on your way through the city to the different main story quests, I'll let myself get distracted with other things.

Also, I've recently discovered at about 65% through the main story, that you don't need shit in terms of the gear upgrades to "beat" the game. My son loves getting all the different suits, and all the different gadget upgrades and shit, but not me. Not a collector like that.

I've got the bullet proof suit power, where I deflect bullets, and use the first suit you have for the look, and just do my thing. Once I realized this, being OCD about the collections went away pretty quickly.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

Started this today and I'm experiencing the same thing. It's silly amounts of fun. There's no bullshit bogging it down, just quality gameplay with some incredibly great tech behind it. I'd like to see some more side-quest stuff in place of the collectibles, but that's my only complaint so far.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
This was great through and through. Some of the funnest combat I've seen in a game and it had some really great nuanced storytelling. Only real complaint is that it was far too easy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

About 73% into the story and just hit level 40 I think. Just unlocked the prison camps, and umm... the hideouts for the dudes that have jet packs.

Speaking of which, any tips on killing these guys faster? They just take hits for days, it's insane!

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The jetpack guys go down quick, so I assume you mean the armored Sable dudes. I usually saved my finishers for them. Otherwise, I think gadgets and a couple attacks remove their armour faster.

The sable camps and outposts were pretty difficult at first for me too as you haven't learned to not rush things with them yet. Take your time, keep your elevation, and zip around taking out ones that stray from the pack.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Why isn't this on sale digitally for like $20 yet from all the $200 bundles. I'm having a tough time getting into RDR2 after GOW and Astro Bot/Beat Saber.

• 1Like

j00t

so is it just me.... or is it that the main game was amazing and the dlcs are trash?

Crone

The jetpack guys go down quick, so I assume you mean the armored Sable dudes. I usually saved my finishers for them. Otherwise, I think gadgets and a couple attacks remove their armour faster.

The sable camps and outposts were pretty difficult at first for me too as you haven't learned to not rush things with them yet. Take your time, keep your elevation, and zip around taking out ones that stray from the pack.
Yea, couldn't remember the names of things off the top of my head. It's the Sable Outposts, and the armored dudes that take hits for days. I was surprised when I popped the dude into the air, and did a full combo, ending with a swinging kick 3 times, and he still wasn't dead. :eek:

What's everyone's favorite gadgets? Web Grenade and the Drones seem to be mine that I use the most.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
What's everyone's favorite gadgets? Web Grenade and the Drones seem to be mine that I use the most.
Ended up being Impact Webbing for me. Watching enemies high-speed splat into buildings is just so damn satisfying.

• 1Solidarity

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I actually picked this up the other day for $36. Some website was offering a $5 discount on top of the $40 marked down price. It came in yesterday. All is good. I hope to get a chance to play it soon.

• 1Like