Spider-Man

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I thought the game was good, but had some issues with it.

The major story sequences were fantastic, but there was a lot of filler stuff in there too where you just went into a location and beat some guys up. I would have rather had more spiderman missions than the stealth side character ones.

Most of the sidequests were ass. Like 5 in a row searching for a map spot to beat up drugged teenagers. The research stations were just as bad.

They got a ton right though so I bet a sequel will be great now that they have the engine/mechanics down and can hopefully focus more on making the whole game as good as the major story missions.

Still in the top 5 this year just had potential to be up there with GoW and fell a little short to me.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Really good game. Enjoyed the story line alot. Now I want Insomniac make an Eddie Brock/Venom version of this game.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Supposedly they’re talking about a Marvel Game Universe since Spider-Man was such a huge hit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
044F256F-E212-44A0-A80C-00770AC915E3.jpeg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I'm not sure which hero could make for fun gameplay or have as wide-appeal quite as much as Spidey does, but I'm down for more good superhero games.

• 2Like

spronk

FPS noob
I'm not sure which hero could make for fun gameplay or have as wide-appeal quite as much as Spidey does, but I'm down for more good superhero games.

5wn0UFz.png

and his sidekick Vape Boy

• 1Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider
These days, wide appeal is easy. The last time we were getting decent Marvel games was back when, if you didn't read comics, Spider-Man and the X Men were basically the only Marvel characters you knew about (I still remember playing one of the X Men Legends games back in the day, and unlocking the secret final character--Iron Man--and having the response of 'who is this nobody?' before preceding to leave him benched for the rest of the game). Now we live in a world where Rocket-fucking-Raccoon is a household name. As long as a game stars someone that's appeared in a movie, there will be wide appeal.

As for gameplay, I'm inclined to say that, as long as the character has some sort of traversal power, you can make a good superhero-style open-world game. Characters without traversal powers are maybe trickier, but you could still do them as linear games, or as more grounded styles of open-world games.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
These days, wide appeal is easy. The last time we were getting decent Marvel games was back when, if you didn't read comics, Spider-Man and the X Men were basically the only Marvel characters you knew about (I still remember playing one of the X Men Legends games back in the day, and unlocking the secret final character--Iron Man--and having the response of 'who is this nobody?' before preceding to leave him benched for the rest of the game). Now we live in a world where Rocket-fucking-Raccoon is a household name. As long as a game stars someone that's appeared in a movie, there will be wide appeal.

Part of what I meant by appeal in the case of Spidey is that he has a grounded setting that appeals to everyone. New York is pretty much everyone's 2nd city if they watch much media at all, Parker's just some normal Joe who has powers, and his powers are easy to digest. This is before you even get to Spidey being a much more recognizable hero than even the MU movie characters.

Sure, most people know Rocket now, but do they want to play as him? I'm sure there's enough people that would be interested in a Guardians game, but it wouldn't sell as well as someone as iconic as Spidey.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love the shit out of a Thor game designed like GoW, and I'm sure there are some neat game concepts they could come out with for some of the heroes, but how would you even approach a Dr. Strange game in a way that could recoup the costs of a good studio and the IP costs?

As for gameplay, I'm inclined to say that, as long as the character has some sort of traversal power, you can make a good superhero-style open-world game. Characters without traversal powers are maybe trickier, but you could still do them as linear games, or as more grounded styles of open-world games.

Yeah, the traveling is a big weakness for most characters. I'm not sure if you played Marvel Heroes or not, but the heroes that didn't have good traveling powers were a pain to play, and they eventually had to give every single hero some sort of absurd roll/dash/motorcycle just to make them playable/balanced.

-

You know, a Rocket & Groot game along the same vein of Ratchet & Clank gameplay would be pretty fun now that I think about it.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
You know, outside of the obvious ones, like the Avengers, Dr. Strange would actually be towards the top of my list for games. A character having a superpower as broad as "magic" opens up a lot of possibilities for creating a unique moveset. And him having planar travel as an option could result in some awesome world design.

And characters that lend themselves to interesting game worlds is something that Marvel should take advantage of where they can, as this is one area where they could easily lag behind any future DC games. DC characters have the advantage of (for the most part) each one of them having their own unique fictional city that serves as their base of operation, which can be designed with their own unique aesthetic. Meanwhile, most Marvel characters are based in real cities, and most of those cities are New York. Any character that doesn't demand Manhattan as the game world should probably be given serious consideration.

Vycarious

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just finished getting the plat on this, only my 3rd one. What an incredible game! Some advice for people who want to plat it. While you are traveling from place to place make sure to hit all the crime quests on the way to where you are going. I ended up doing a few in each area but was left with the majority of them at the end. Granted it didn't take long but if I was to play it from the beginning again I would do a lot more of them on my way to wherever I was going.

Anyways, I am pretty much in the same boat as most of you guys where it is just under GoW for game of the year, barely. Top notch!! 9.5/10

• 2Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
"storyline" that will continue across the next two DLCs
....starring stroke-victim Black Cat wearing the shittiest costume she's ever had and written mainly by Sam Maggs, which cannot be stressed enough. Anyone who buys this before waiting for some non-gamejournopro reviews is crazy.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, as much as I liked this game, I’ll be waiting for some bros to tell me if the DLC is worth getting.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Tried getting back into this today after not playing since early September. I really like the game, but my Ps4 is dominated by 2 kids and a wife that are all Ps4 gamers. :) It wasn't 20 minutes before I couldn't take my kid begging to play his game of Spiderman anymore that I finally let him play it. Took that entire time just to try and figure out the controls again. Failed a number of crime missions where I'd just get killed. Son kept telling me, jeez Dad, you're dying a lot. Thanks son... Thanks a lot. Lol.

Gonna have to get back into it after the kids go to sleep.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Does Insomniac usually do a complete version of their games after all the DLC is released? I'd hate to find myself in another situation like HZD

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Does Insomniac usually do a complete version of their games after all the DLC is released? I'd hate to find myself in another situation like HZD
I imagine that is dictated by the publisher, which in this case is the same as HZD (Sony).

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
First DLC is out, looks very short. Report of about 1.5 hours for main story, 4 hours if you do the side stuff.

Going to try to squeeze it in between finishing AC and starting RDR2 if I can. Might be able to do it if I start RDR2 on Saturday instead of Friday night.