Spider-Man

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

spronk

FPS noob
apparently the voice actors for Spidey and Captain Yuki (the cop) are married IRL, i thought that was awesome. Also the VAs for Mary Jane and Kingpin are married

i replayed the final few cutscenes, pretty emotional shit so damn good

spoiler/question about the ending stuff
So was Harry wrapped in Venom symbiote stuff? Thats what it looked like was sorta reaching out in the tank. Soooo Spider-Man 2 would be Venom and Green Goblin in the mix?

The way they did the Aunt May death was so tragic and good. Like I'm thinking "oh, she'll live, right? They'll figure out the cure and apply it last second... why is the heart beat monitor sound still playing... black screen, sound still good, ok we're cool... WAIT FLATLINE WTF OH FUCK NOOOOOoooooooo. Also her telling Peter she knew who he was all along, so awesome.

Also all the Doc Ock and Peter stuff was absolutely fantastic. So crazy to have such good writing in a video game.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Ya, it looked to be a symbiote on Harry, so they will probably make him Venom. It wouldn't surprise me if they go Green Goblin also...the game had plenty of Green Goblin things in it (prototype goblin bombs and the mask). It also makes sense they'll have Black Cat actually appear in the game and try to muck up Peter+MJ lol

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Finished the game up last night, and God this is a good game. Nailed the gameplay; nailed the aesthetics; nailed the story. Lord knows, nobody's ever accused me of being an emotional person, but some of the stuff at the end there was hitting me right in the feels. And great work at foreshadowing things for the inevitable sequel.

Just need to pop back into the game tonight to platinum the game and hit all the secret photo locations.

After having seen the full game, I only really have three critiques:

1. Like I said earlier in the thread, combat really needed a quick-gadget system like Arkham.

2. As a number of people were saying, the Taskmaster Drone Challenges had their difficulty tuned a little too high. They either needed to tweak them to give you a couple more seconds of slack in the time needed for gold, or just reduce the number of Challenge Tokens needed to unlock everything a little (and really, aside from backpacks, none of the other side things are so strict in how much you need to complete to get enough tokens to unlock everything). The other types of Challenges were fine.

3. The game back-loads its supervillain boss battles a little too much, having them all at the end of the game. Find a few more lower tier villains to attach to side missions so that you can have those fights throughout the game.

• 2Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah it was a fantastic story. I hope we start seeing more and more super hero games if they are going to be the quality of Batman Arkham series and now Spider-Man. Hulk was kind of hilarious but that was a while ago. Would love to see Wonder Woman, Iron Man, a new Hulk based around a really good story, etc.

And right with you on the feels. I felt that a few times throughout as well even before the ending. Music was fantastic too.

• 1Solidarity

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
So, finished this last night/this morning around 2am. I'm tired as hell thanks to work and staying up late, but it was worth it. GoW, H:ZD and this are the only games I have beaten on a console in a long while.

And damn that ending, had me tearing up. Last of Us opening scene was the last game I cried at all for, mainly because I have daughters and it tore me up. Was not expecting them to kill off Aunt May. And in a way that made Peter choose between being selfish, or saving thousands. Also, where the fuck are all the other damn super heroes in NY?!?! Lol.

• 1Like

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Assassin's Creed, the first one of the series. Amazing game when it came out. The combat was interesting, crowd interaction, graphics and sound, all were pretty good for the time;

especially the traversal.

Until you get about 2/3rds through the game and it is just the same few missions over and over again with little variation just get more difficult. Side quests/objectives included.

That is what this game reminds me of, including me having problems with the combat because I can't get my head around how to dodge properly. (I'm either too slow or dodge into shit.)

Solid 8/10 and I hope the format is as improved upon as it was with AC2. I know it's two different companies but this game gives me the exact same feeling as AC1 did when it was shiny and new.

How the traversal in this is amazing and makes the drone hunting/car chasing missions far less frustrating then they could have been.

One things...

They need to quit with the snipers in the open world portions of these games. It makes getting around tedious, fast travel too attractive, and it doesn't add to the fun. I get it during missions however not between them, though given how the game is structured the two are often intermingled.

Like I said though, solid 8/10. I already want a sequel.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Finished and plated, one of the easier plats this year.

This ties GOW for my GOTY so far.

Only minor gripe was i would have like some more variety in the boss fight combat.

Looking forward to the DLC and obvious sequel.

spronk

FPS noob
Marvel is releasing a comic on Wed that continues the game story apparently
Preview: SPIDER-GEDDON #0

that will NOT be part of the first DLC which comes out sometime in mid October - two more story DLCs, one per month as well

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Finished over the weekend, and loved it. I still think GOW was probably marginally better(?), but the combat, world traversing and story were really good here. In fact, I'd argue the story here was better than anything I've played in forever. I wish there were more boss fights, and it could have been slightly longer but that's just nitpicking.

Another great year for console gaming - GOW, Spidey, RDR2, Forza Horizon 4, etc. Have 2 more excellent looking games coming in the next month as well.

• 2Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Any word on this coming to PC? Or is this a PS4 exclusive?

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Any word on this coming to PC? Or is this a PS4 exclusive?

Nothing on the internet, historically or currently, with Insomniac Games implies it will be coming to the PC ever.

Safe guess is it will remain a ps4 exclusive, for at least a few years anyways.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Naw, i dont need to play it that badly. More than enough shit in PC to play

• 1Salty
  • 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Naw, i dont need to play it that badly. More than enough shit in PC to play

I picked up a PS4 pro just for the exclusives and don't regret it at all. The shitty FPS and control setup is really hard to deal with as a PC gamer, but some of the games they're putting out shouldn't be missed, provided you have a nice TV to go along with it anyway.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I picked up a PS4 pro just for the exclusives and don't regret it at all. The shitty FPS and control setup is really hard to deal with as a PC gamer, but some of the games they're putting out shouldn't be missed, provided you have a nice TV to go along with it anyway.

I dont play enough games to justify buying a console, and the games I mostly play are strategy

• 1Picard

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
This is my GOTY over even GoW. So fluid and smooth. Looks great on a 4K/HDR set. The combat is good. The Spider-Man game we’ve all dreamed of.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Just finished this tonight. Avoided the thread because of unintended spoiler exposure. Solid 9/10 from me. I’d still rank it below God of War, but not by much. God of War hit all the right notes, storytelling and production-wise, for me and the father/son aspect deeply resonated with me, otherwise this would be dead even for GotY.

Sony is absolutely slaying their exclusives. It’s not even a competition lol.

Edit: Light spoiler critique that’s more of an observation than a complaint:
I would’ve liked the exceptionally darker story beats to have been more consistent in tone with the rest of the game. I played through all of the story before I let my 6 year old play it and there were a few scenes that were definitely over the line that I made him skip. There’s nothing “wrong” with those moments (dude getting head stomped off screen, forced suicide by gunshot on screen, civilian getting stabbed right next to the POV character, etc) and they’re not out of place within the universe, but they also didn’t add much to the story.

Like I said, it’s more of an observation than a critique, but it makes me wonder if the rest of the game was darker and they scaled it back or if they felt it was too light hearted and added these moments to give it some weight/consequences?

Last edited:
  • 1Like