Sports Entertainment

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This statement doesn't make any sense. We are talking about DB being a heavyweight title contender, and Punk holds the all-time WWE record for having that championship (450+ days). They paid Punk a princely sum also. Did he get the main event? No. But he got everything else he wanted, other than more rest.

It is not a truthful statement to say Punk couldn't doanything, he did a lot.
LOL! Punk isn't even close to holding that record at all. Bruno held it for 2,803 days.

WWE World Heavyweight Championship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
So people are pissed off because the WWE is pushing this Reigns guy over this DB guy who they like a lot more?

Is this some stupid nerd rage thing or is there more to it than that?
Like the one of the guys said before, he has to be fed lines, has only four moves, and has nothing going for him, other than he's a physical specimen, and The Rock's cousin. Then you have guys like DB, who worked in the indies for decades and had to earn their way up, because they were too short. Reigns wasn't even a wrestler a few years ago. He's had it handed to him, based on familial association. DB made it a point last night to state, that he had it tough, and as a kid, the WWE didn't feed him, like Reigns was. Reigns comes off as spoon fed, and DB comes off as one of the people. The McMahon's have said over and over again, they don't see DB as championship material, which is why they did things like have him lose against Sheamus in 18 seconds, run from Kane like a coward or lose in the Royal Rumble early. They do everything they can to make him look stupid. Yet Wrestling Observer says he's the most technically perfect wrestler in the world eight years in a row, and best wrestler in the world four years in a row.

This has become us vs them. DB is one of us; the McMahon's are the Billionaire Robber Barons trying to hold him down. Hard work over decades isn't enough, no matter what, "The Man" tries to hold us down. It's not enough for someone to break through to company face on their own; Vince has to pick the guy.

When you look at it that way, it sounds like a work. Even Kevin Nash, who hates short guys, and even derides his buddy HBK for being less than, has said it, the Vanilla Midget versus The Authority became "Must See TV" last year.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That must be more WWE spin then, because they used to tout him as the all time guy. I bet they split hairs and said in the modern era. Because nowadays, that's pretty rare.
Before the Ultimate Warrior it was very common for the "world champ" to hang on to the belt for a few years. Hogan is really the last one to have a multi-year run then they started hot potato with the belt.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
re: Reigns having shit handed to him.

It's the same with the Usos. Who I don't mind actually but watch their documentary thing that was released not too long ago. It's up on the 'Work.
Basically they flunk out of college and take up jobs moving furniture and shit. Then their Uncle Eddie (Umaga) used his influence and dragged their asses to the WWE. Bam! Now they're stores. Hardly a rags to riches story like some of these guys. Reigns is also mentioned in the story and basically tagged along with them iirc. I watched it a couple months ago but that's the gist of it. I was like am I supposed to feel like they made some epic journey from nothing to the top? They were slackers in college, then became movers, then had their wrestling career handed to them on a platter. Fuck out of here with that shit.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
EddardStark.jpg

Vycron

Derives Perverse Pleasure
<Gold Donor>
According to "reports" Vince won't put Bryan in the title match at WM again cuz it's a repeat of last year. Although that never stopped him from giving us the same matches over and over.. like Cena and Orton.
Agreed, it's 100% horseshit. Rock/Cena, Taker/ HBK, Taker/HHH. I'm not saying Bryan is on that level, but the story writes itself. The ultimate underdog/wrestling machine who lives and breathes THIS business returns from injury to reclaim the title he never lost against the superhuman freak/wrestling machine/mercenary before he bolts back to UFC. I guess he's just too small.

For me it's not entirely about DB. The New Age Outlaws/Big Show/Kane/HHH/Steph/Authority Figure. All taking up time and space on a PPV. In 2015. Meanwhile Ziggler, Ambrose and Wyatt get dumped like garbage. The secondary champs constantly job. 50/50 booking. Totally scripted boring-ass promos. The shilling and twitter crap. Awful announcing "WE"RE HAVIN FUN, MAGGLE".

I canceled my shit. The Network is a cool idea, but I've already watched most of the archival stuff that I wanted to see. The current product has become largely unbearable. Except for NXT. I'll find that somehow.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I canceled my shit. The Network is a cool idea, but I've already watched most of the archival stuff that I wanted to see. The current product has become largely unbearable. Except for NXT. I'll find that somehow.
The sad thing is, the old stuff on the network is great. You forget how wrestling was, until you go back and watch the classics, all the way up to the WCW/Attitude Era.

WWE is out of touch, and they aren't trying to be in touch. They are the only game in town. If they had competition, they'd be listening to the fans.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
At least the Uso's are entertaining and a decent tag team. Reigns was carried by Rollins and Ambrose. It took him becoming a singles wrestler for his flaws to really be pronounced.

It's also not totally Daniel Bryan. Like I said earlier, there are other wrestlers that have put in time and have better fan reactions than Roman Reigns. He's being forced down our throats, which is basically the same shit they pulled last year with Batista. Actually the fan reaction during the Rumble towards Reigns was even worse than the whole Bootista thing last year.

WWE has over the last few years gotten fans to become more involved in the shows too. By letting them vote for match participants and match types. Once you start doing that then work against them, you are going to have issues. But as for this whole debacle.. Say you got tickets to see your favorite sports team play and your favorite player has come back from an injury and he's been hyped up for his return. Then game time comes around and all he does is be put in to be a pinch hitter, or he runs one play but isn't even given the ball. I am sure you'd be pissed too. Or since this is entertainment and not a real sport, how about you get to go see a movie because your favorite actor has been cast and all he gets is a cameo for 2 minutes. The whole thing basically just had the effect of the fans taking it out on the one person that the WWE wanted to be the hero of the show. This isn't over either, I am going to have fun watching the fans hijack shows like they did last year. Although the storm was kind of a blessing in disguise for them having to do a filler show.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
At least the Uso's are entertaining and a decent tag team. Reigns was carried by Rollins and Ambrose. It took him becoming a singles wrestler for his flaws to really be pronounced.

It's also not totally Daniel Bryan. Like I said earlier, there are other wrestlers that have put in time and have better fan reactions than Roman Reigns. He's being forced down our throats, which is basically the same shit they pulled last year with Batista. Actually the fan reaction during the Rumble towards Reigns was even worse than the whole Bootista thing last year.

WWE has over the last few years gotten fans to become more involved in the shows too. By letting them vote for match participants and match types. Once you start doing that then work against them, you are going to have issues. But as for this whole debacle.. Say you got tickets to see your favorite sports team play and your favorite player has come back from an injury and he's been hyped up for his return. Then game time comes around and all he does is be put in to be a pinch hitter, or he runs one play but isn't even given the ball. I am sure you'd be pissed too. Or since this is entertainment and not a real sport, how about you get to go see a movie because your favorite actor has been cast and all he gets is a cameo for 2 minutes. The whole thing basically just had the effect of the fans taking it out on the one person that the WWE wanted to be the hero of the show. This isn't over either, I am going to have fun watching the fans hijack shows like they did last year. Although the storm was kind of a blessing in disguise for them having to do a filler show.
Awesome post. I'll add that, yes, the WWE has gotten more interactive with the votes. There was an interesting poll by WWE last year, that shocked them. When they asked the WWE Universe who the top guy was, Daniel Bryan won convincingly. Yet WWE ignores that poll. Or maybe they are just trolling us. Like HHH has said, this is the Reality Era, where you can't tell what is storyline, and what is real.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
The sad thing is, the old stuff on the network is great. You forget how wrestling was, until you go back and watch the classics, all the way up to the WCW/Attitude Era.

WWE is out of touch, and they aren't trying to be in touch. They are the only game in town. If they had competition, they'd be listening to the fans.
Btw Lucha Underground is pretty amazing atm. This is what the Rumble should have been.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
I'm keeping my network sub because the documentaries, being able to go back and watch the old PPV's and things like WCW, NWA, ECW etc that we never got in Aus, and NXT makes it worth it to me still but I can certainly see the point to people cancelling.

In terms of WWE though I think NXT at least shows us that when HHH is not worried about having to get himself over he is a bright spot to look forwards to taking over. The direction he's taking it really makes it enjoyable to watch and he's letting the guys and girls get over well, the big difference between him and Vince can be seen with the way Charlotte and The Ascension are treated in NXT vs how they get booked on Raw and it shows just how out of touch Vince is.

I'd love for them to do a brand split again, or add a real 3rd show, move DB, Wyatt, Ambrose, Rollins, Cesaro, Swagger, Ziggler, Owens, Balor, Itami, Paige, Emma, Charlotte, Sasha Banks, Baron Corbin over to it as the main players along with some more of the underutilized main roster for mid-card, let them be their NXT characters, have them go back to doing unscripted promos, make it HHH's show to produce (with the stiplulation he'll never wrestle on the show or any of their PPV specials) and see how the fuck the ratings go. I bet you within 6 months it would be doing better than Smackdown and likely competing with Raw

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
NXT is the best wrestling product that the WWE has right now. The next Takeover event will be Feb. 11th and it's going to be so fucking good.
I'm really really really looking forward to the Zayn/Owens feud. They have tore it up in the past and should again.

Shit just make NXT the 3rd brand.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
personally i'm stoked to see to see Bryan take on Sheamus at Wrestlemania. it'll be a real tour d'force of fast paced in ring action. maybe we'll get lucky and it'll be for the intercontinental title... let's keep our fingers crossed.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
NXT is the best wrestling product that the WWE has right now. The next Takeover event will be Feb. 11th and it's going to be so fucking good.
I'm really really really looking forward to the Zayn/Owens feud. They have tore it up in the past and should again.

Shit just make NXT the 3rd brand.
People are saying that's what the future of WWE looks like with HHH at the helm. But why couldn't he bury the hatchet with CM Punk? You listen to the podcasts with CM Punk on the Colt Cabana show, and he doesn't paint a good picture of HHH.