Sports Entertainment

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
goldberg's streak was DEFINITELY wearing out it's welcome by the time nash beat him. the schtick was old but there were certain wrestlers that needed some comeuppance, so it was still enjoyable watching them get run over. people wanted the streak to GO somewhere and from a narrative standpoint, goldberg losing dirty and giving the belt to hogan BEAUTIFULLY setup goldberg re-starting the streak to run up to hogan.

except no one wanted to see that. people were in need of a climax and right before cumming they were forced back to foreplay.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I haven’t watched AEW since this all started. No crowds just throw me off. How have the shows been maybe I should catch up.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I haven’t watched AEW since this all started. No crowds just throw me off. How have the shows been maybe I should catch up.
AEW have a face side and a heel side spectating so they do have crowd noise for most matches. I've been enjoying the shows a lot, though they did have one or two crowdless weeks in the middle of the pandemic as the lockdown tightened.

I'd just jump in with last week's AEW as it's their first live show since lockdown, that's only 2 shows to catch up on.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
That's one fast 100 yard dash!

hangman-page-return-dash.gif

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
The Stadium Stampede match was amazing, so much better than Money in the Bank.

Can't quite put my finger on why. I think it's because the goofy shit the AEW wrestlers did was in line with their gimmicks/personalities and was written by the wrestlers (and was more violent). The goofy shit the WWE wrestlers did was by script writers and not always matched their gimmicks/personalities.

My head canon for Money in the Bank is that Asuka got the lift to the roof at the start and the women's match ended.

• 1Like

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
The Stadium Stampede match was amazing, so much better than Money in the Bank.

Can't quite put my finger on why. I think it's because the goofy shit the AEW wrestlers did was in line with their gimmicks/personalities and was written by the wrestlers (and was more violent). The goofy shit the WWE wrestlers did was by script writers and not always matched their gimmicks/personalities.

My head canon for Money in the Bank is that Asuka got the lift to the roof at the start and the women's match ended.

You pretty much nailed it. AEW keeps things consistent with their characters, while WWE treats them like action figures fighting in the Money in the Bank playset. There is a big difference between Hangman parking his horse to go to the bar and Dana Brooke thinking she won by grabbing a random briefcase, getting a poster smashed over her head looney tunes style, then running around with that poster for a while. I guess Dana's character is "idiot who doesn't know how to win the match she's in"?

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
You pretty much nailed it. AEW keeps things consistent with their characters, while WWE treats them like action figures fighting in the Money in the Bank playset. There is a big difference between Hangman parking his horse to go to the bar and Dana Brooke thinking she won by grabbing a random briefcase, getting a poster smashed over her head looney tunes style, then running around with that poster for a while. I guess Dana's character is "idiot who doesn't know how to win the match she's in"?
Didn't she slip on a wet floor later on too?

Yeah I think any of the spots in Money in the Bank could have been swapped to different wrestlers and you wouldn't notice.

A good portion of Stadium Stampede was specific to each wrestler.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Holy shit, stadium stampede is my favorite thing ever. Wow. I thought it was going to be a shitshow but my gd they nailed it. I love that they embrace the current fans. 17 to 34 demo is pro wrestling’s bread and butter. In the attitude era it was teens who wanted controversial content and adults that grew up with the super hero campy wholesome wrestling of the 80s and wanted something new.

I love how they embrace gaming culture, internet memes, and letting the fans in on it. Like at this point we all know this shit ain’t real, we just want fun entertainment and that’s why they do. They mix in the competition and. Older type of booking but are crushing this new wave of silly meta content and goofy shit.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Honestly I haven’t felt comfortable trying to get friends to go to wrestling or watch events with me since wrestle mania 18. But I legit think my mid thirties friends would actually enjoy having a watch party

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Careful, the Rovival the Revolt aren't allowed to use that term any more. They should call themselves Cease & Desist at this point. Their names start with C and D, come to think of it...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
cain velasquez released from WWE lol

They totally just brought Cain in so that Brock could "get his win back". Same reason they brought back Batista for that terrible WM match last year, so HHH could get his win back. Probably also why they brought back Ultimate Warrior too, before his untimely demise. Notice how the following WM, HHH fought Sting? I'd bet money that HHH Vs. UW was the plan before that.

In any case, it's too bad Cain signed with WWE. I think he thought they'd give him a legit opportunity there, when all they actually needed him for was to put over Brock and GTFO. AEW was in the process of trying to sign him at the time and could have used him to his strengths. He had a lot more marketability and heat as the "Brock killer" and now that's gone. Oh well.

Chris

Potato del Grande
They totally just brought Cain in so that Brock could "get his win back". Same reason they brought back Batista for that terrible WM match last year, so HHH could get his win back. Probably also why they brought back Ultimate Warrior too, before his untimely demise. Notice how the following WM, HHH fought Sting? I'd bet money that HHH Vs. UW was the plan before that.

In any case, it's too bad Cain signed with WWE. I think he thought they'd give him a legit opportunity there, when all they actually needed him for was to put over Brock and GTFO. AEW was in the process of trying to sign him at the time and could have used him to his strengths. He had a lot more marketability and heat as the "Brock killer" and now that's gone. Oh well.
A bunch of people got signed/resigned to keep them from going to AEW, he'll be one of them.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Apparently Shotzi Blackheart has that rubber Japanese wrestler neck, because she was totally fine after landing this.

shotzi-blackheart-slow-motion-drop.gif

• 5WTF
Reactions: 4 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Jim Cornette got the "Frustreted ex-WWE Talent shoots on WWE" interview this time.

I'd say this is as good as the Moxley-Jericho interview:

If the podcast is too long for you, the same channel has clipped 10-20 minute chunks of the best stuff.

Key points:

*They felt like HHH had their back in NXT, they had their hearts broken when he and his clique buddies buried them on Raw 25.

*Vince tried to insult them by comparing them to some of their favourite wrestlers after they had a match they were very proud of "you are just great wrestlers like Arn Anderson".

*They only got anywhere in WWE because they consistently had the best House Show matches and people like Roman Reigns, Randy Orton, The Usos and New Day kept asking to work with them.

*They hate Cody and The Young Bucks, feeling personally insulted by interview comments from Cody and The Young Bucks doing #FTR without asking them.

*They are not signed to AEW, it's a handshake deal with Tony Khan.

I think that the last two are a work though.