Sports Entertainment

Chris

Potato del Grande
What. The. Fuck.

P.S. I don't know how many actually follow any wrestling anymore, but I'm hooked on Jim Cornette's podcast.

So, a few weeks ago I heard about Ring of Honor going back on the air and essentially re-booting with a Pure Title tournament. I just watched a couple episodes and holy shit, it's an actual return to wrestling being presented as a sport and it is so fucking refreshing. Best of all, the replays are FREE on fite.tv.

First episode is here: ▷ ROH Wrestling: Episode #469 - Official Free Replay. Give it a shot if you want something different.
Jim Cornette is amazing. I like AEW and watch it every week but I like his rants about it better.

He has changed my opinion on Kenny Omega but not the others he hates.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I think that this image is amazing, there's at least three storylines going on here:

v3rgsss5d8z51.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
This match was one of the best I've seen. I like the commentary version though. Check it out.

I agree it was pretty nuts, but I didn't really dig the WWE reactions as much. I also think this is a match where the whole lack of the crowd going crazy takes something away from it.

They have had a very similar match before which I also enjoyed. Can't understand much of the announcing but you get the idea and that + the crowd energy adds to the presentation.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Wait so am I to believe the AEW champion has jumped ship with the title to Impact?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Wait so am I to believe the AEW champion has jumped ship with the title to Impact?
Well obviously it's all planned out by both companies, but if that's your problem then I don't know why you watch professional wrestling, it's all planned out.

Unless it's WWE, then it's not planned out because Vince just rewrites everything the day of the show.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Well obviously it's all planned out by both companies, but if that's your problem then I don't know why you watch professional wrestling, it's all planned out.

Unless it's WWE, then it's not planned out because Vince just rewrites everything the day of the show.

I’m just shocked to see them working together. That came out of nowhere. Will be interesting to see what they do. Impact is such a smaller fish in today’s world I’m shocked to see them go all in with them while also working with AAA and the NWA. Are we going to see basically a “everyone not see band together” show?

impact seems to work with ROH and NJPW as well so that opens so Many doors

Chris

Potato del Grande
I’m just shocked to see them working together. That came out of nowhere. Will be interesting to see what they do. Impact is such a smaller fish in today’s world I’m shocked to see them go all in with them while also working with AAA and the NWA. Are we going to see basically a “everyone not see band together” show?

impact seems to work with ROH and NJPW as well so that opens so Many doors
I think that this is the startegy to compete with WWE, do the opposite they do and cultivate a thiving independent scene. Then you have a pipeline of new talent to sign or places for your released/underused talent to go so you keep fan goodwill. If you don't think that you are better than Impact/NWA and need to stave them of talent to succeed, then you don't have a hope of competing with WWE.

AEW is also making a play for wrestling history, which WWE was rewriting, by having legends pair up with younger talents and creating some sort of legacy for them (eg Darby Allin and Sting).

Pair that with wrestlers having creative control over their characters, it's a good recipe to poach talent from WWE (eg Moxley/Revival who didn't need to leave).

NXT and the Performance Centre really needs to work for WWE now as I can't see them poaching the hottest indy acts anymore, I think that not getting The Elite did them real damage last year and they are not effectively using NXT talent on the main roster.

So it's looking even more positive for AEW than it did last year.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Kenny should have kept this entrance music. I honestly get Stone Cold vibes from it. I'm sure the royalty costs would have been very low since it's from a indie game. His AEW entrance music is very generic otherwise.

Such a missed opportunity, imho.

I do applaud them for trying something with Impact. They need to do something to break into the next tier. The mouth piece for Kenny is very good.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The Acclaimed are tremendous. A lot of babies on the internet are upset about them already because they made a vague incest joke about the Young Bucks, and because they said "cuck" on TV. Jeeeesus.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Jon Huber (Brodie Lee/Luker Harper) dead, due to non Covid related lung issue. Died at Mayo today.

I got to meet him once, dude was legit a nice guy and by all accounts, pretty much loved by everyone. Sucks hard he's gone already at 41. LEaves behind a wife and 2 kids. This one hits me hard as he was legit one of my favorite workers.
1609035329282.png

• 4Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 4 users

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Jon Huber (Brodie Lee/Luker Harper) dead, due to non Covid related lung issue. Died at Mayo today.

I got to meet him once, dude was legit a nice guy and by all accounts, pretty much loved by everyone. Sucks hard he's gone already at 41. LEaves behind a wife and 2 kids. This one hits me hard as he was legit one of my favorite workers.
View attachment 325584
What a bummer man.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Dude wasted most of the last 4 years at home because WWE wouldn’t let him go. Finally his contract ends and he becomes a top star in AEW and within 6 months wrested his last match.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users