Sports Entertainment

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I've said fuck Punk and his drama queen shit but I'd be lying if I said his return isn't hype AF. As deafening as the crowd was the energy in that crowd must have been even more incredible. That's the shit you live for as a fan.

WWE who? LOL

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Hosix

All labs matter!
WWE has summer slam this weekend. More John Cena? Roman Reigns? That sounds sooooo great!!!

AEW did more in 1 hour than WWE gets done in a week.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I never knew shit about punk till the “pipe bomb” really. I was not at all I to ROH and was super casual in his time on the main roster. But I saw a good chunk of his run when I started watching about about a decade ago.

Going into this I thought he was always a moody emo prick that had to have his way, but was also great at his job and truly did represent the fans and push back against the stupidity of Vince and Co. I respected the fact that he was beat down, broken and had corporate life strip him of his passion and the he walked away from big money in his prime to do what he thought was right.

since then I dug his podcast with colt and he gained a lot of points. But then everything is shit since. His MMA career was a joke abd the way he fucked over his supposed best friend made me sick. But what do I know of their real life situations in that court case.

but damn - after watching that and his promo he seems like a whole different person. Look at his eyes and posture and you can see changes. And him diving into the crowd really popped even the biggest cynic in me.

crazy return. I’m still curious what it’s like back rage with him and colt. Wonder if they bury the hatchet.

• 3Like

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Straight edge society was pretty good with punk as the leader. Then he morphed into the anti hero wrestler like steve austin. What made punk great was his shit was real and you could feel it.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I never saw CM Punk as I watched wrestling before and after he was active, so this was my first time seeing him live.

I get the impression that he was someone similar in statue to Hogan/Flair or Austin/Rock who was destined to define an era of wrestling, but he was cut down by WWE before that could happen and the new era never fully materialised with only glimmers of it shining through (eg Daniel Bryan/SHEILD).

I think that the fans instinctually knew this and the "CM Punk" chants were not just in support of CM Punk but also the direction the company could have taken.

Does that sound right?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hosix

All labs matter!
I never saw CM Punk as I watched wrestling before and after he was active, so this was my first time seeing him live.

I get the impression that he was someone similar in statue to Hogan/Flair or Austin/Rock who was destined to define an era of wrestling, but he was cut down by WWE before that could happen and the new era never fully materialised with only glimmers of it shining through (eg Daniel Bryan/SHEILD).

I think that the fans instinctually knew this and the "CM Punk" chants were not just in support of CM Punk but also the direction the company could have taken.

Does that sound right?

That is deep thinking friend.

WWE treats fans and wrestlers like werestling is real.

AEW let’s wrestlers entertain and put on a show. They know the fans know it’s fake. Fans cheer for who they want.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
It also stems from the fact that WWE wasn't pushing anyone but Cena at the time also. You couldn't win a program against Cena so whoever went up against him got buried. It's why the WWE is so stale now. They never pushed new talent from like 2005 to 2015 so they a dry. NXT might save WWE but it might be too late.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden

Does that sound right?

I don’t think you are wrong. The Pipe Bomb and leaving with the title could have been defining moment for the WWE and could have changed wrestling forever. But being the WWE they rushed him back for summerslam and he was jobbing out to a retired HHH within a few months

he was also unlucky in that his time as the man was laid along side the biggest star in wrestling history returning after like 8 years away. I get that Rock vs Cena made sense and was a 3 year program but damn if it didn’t undercut the longest reign in modern history and push the champ down the card on a ton of events.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
It also stems from the fact that WWE wasn't pushing anyone but Cena at the time also. You couldn't win a program against Cena so whoever went up against him got buried. It's why the WWE is so stale now. They never pushed new talent from like 2005 to 2015 so they a dry. NXT might save WWE but it might be too late.

It probably is too late. I watched Summerslam and what strikes me is how unable WWE seems to be to make new stars right now, especially compared to AEW which is making new stars left and right. The only person on this PPV who struck me as a legit new star was probably Damien Priest.

They totally undercut both of the new women's champions. Nikki ASH seemed like a shitty joke character, Nikki deserves better in general. Then on top of that they had this feel-good story of her having to believe in herself to prove that she isn't a fluke...then she loses.

Lashley getting thrown around by Goldberg and winning by countout was stupid. Lashley should have murdered the guy.

Finally, Bianca Belair getting squashed in seconds by Becky Lynch was completely atrocious. They actually almost made a new star with Belair recently, she seemed over, and a win over Sasha Banks tonight would have solidified her as a major player. Instead they bait-and-switch the match and give us Becky instead of Sasha, who beats Belair in one hit. So much for her, I guess.

I totally see why they can't make new stars. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I don’t think you are wrong. The Pipe Bomb and leaving with the title could have been defining moment for the WWE and could have changed wrestling forever. But being the WWE they rushed him back for summerslam and he was jobbing out to a retired HHH within a few months

he was also unlucky in that his time as the man was laid along side the biggest star in wrestling history returning after like 8 years away. I get that Rock vs Cena made sense and was a 3 year program but damn if it didn’t undercut the longest reign in modern history and push the champ down the card on a ton of events.

Yeah, I remember a time in 2012 or so when the world champ was in the semi-main on every show while whatever Cena was doing was the main event. Who was the champ during all of this? That's right, CM Punk. He also got undercut by losing to HHH right before he started his title reign. If I remember correctly the only time he ever main evented a PPV as champion was when he lost the belt to The Rock. I could be wrong but I don't think I am. It was pretty fucking stupid IMO. This was also the time when the Intercontinental Champion got pinned in non-title matches EVERY WEEK, mostly by main event guys who didn't even want the IC title. Guys who were completely undercut by IC title "reigns" in this time included Cody Rhodes, Cesaro, and Wade Barrett to name a couple. Cody didn't recover until years later in Japan, the other two never particularly recovered.

WWE sucks

Chris

Potato del Grande
Oh my god, Becky Lynch looks fantastic and they did THAT!?

The difference in how the CM Punk and Becky Lynch's returns have been handled just shows which company respects their talent/fans and which doesn't.

Becky should have had a story arc where she's getting back in shape after having a baby and working her way back up to the top, she could have actually taken a few losses to eg Bianca Belair during this period. Then you have her win at Wrestlemania.

And while they fixed Roman Reigns' character so that he is fantastic, they already did Brock vs Roman too many times.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Finally, Bianca Belair getting squashed in seconds by Becky Lynch was completely atrocious. They actually almost made a new star with Belair recently, she seemed over, and a win over Sasha Banks tonight would have solidified her as a major player. Instead they bait-and-switch the match and give us Becky instead of Sasha, who beats Belair in one hit. So much for her, I guess.
lol they did what?

• 1Fumble

Chris

Potato del Grande
lol they did what?
Bianca vs Sasha in a Wreslemania rematch.

Sasha is mysteriously not cleared and this has been known all week at WWE.

Advertise match anyway including pre match package.

Carmella comes out instead, referee goes to ring the bell.

Becky music hits.

Becky dumps Carmella out the ring and stares down Bianca.

Gets a mic and says nothing but something like "let's have a geat match between The Man and The EST"

Match starts.

Becky offers a handshake, Bianca takes it but Becky uses it to hit her and use a new finishing move.

Bianca loses in two hits with no build.

AEW beat NXT therefore anyone from NXT in that time period has to be buried.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
WWE seriously has the stupidest fucking people in the world calling the shots.

• 3Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
God damn, the more I think about Summerslam, the more it pisses me off. It was the first WWE show I'd watched in a while. I tuned in because I was playing FF1 on the NES and that game is slooooow so I needed something to watch, and the Punk debut had gotten me excited about wrestling again. I was also interested in Sasha/Bianca and wanted to see Lashley kill Goldberg. It's like the parts I was interested in were specifically designed to piss me off.

Well, back to AEW.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
lol wait Becky came back and won the title? And I have seen nothing about it on Twitter or even on the wrestling Reddit? Lolololol it must have been a turd.

• 1Like