Sports Entertainment

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You just know come contract time WWE will try to snag MJF. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out when it comes time for AEW to renew contracts.

Hosix

All labs matter!
AEW has come so far in just 2 years.

They survived the China lung. To be honest? I didn’t think they would. They weren’t established. I thought they would quietly fold up and leave. Nope.

They have a great roster with all kinds of talent. From what they started as? To where they are now? I think it’s impressive.

WWE has to write some good shit to stay on top. It’s a good time to be a wrestling fan. Opposing shows only benefit us.

Brock vs RR or Omega vs anyone?

I am watching Omega every time. That dude puts on a show.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
You just know come contract time WWE will try to snag MJF. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out when it comes time for AEW to renew contracts.

MJF's contract is up in early 2024. He was signed to one of the longest-term contracts of anybody in the company, maybe THE longest. Even the EVPs generally have 3-4 year contracts.

We'll see what happens with all of them come 2022-2024. Though it's worth noting that they've been re-negotiating contracts well in advance, like Britt Baker this year. Her contract was up at the end of 2021 (first woman signed, 3 years) and they just re-signed her for another few years (with a raise) in advance. So if they stay on the ball with these things, they'll know well in advance if anyone's leaving.

It's kind of fucked that they spent about half of all of these 3-year contracts in the COVID purgatory of no crowds.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
They want omega vs one of the acclaimed over Brock vs Roman

Might have mentioned it already, but those guys made an off-air appearance after Grand Slam and got a massive pop for calling Mayor DeBlasio a bitch.

Not to get into politics here in the non-politics thread, but if that kind of anti-Democrat reaction happens in the depths of Queens, NYC, then Jesus.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
It's pretty disappointing they didn't beat out the WWE. They really can't slack off, and need to stay strong. I keep worrying Cody is going to pull a Jeff Jarrett and be a million time AEW champ eventually which is completely an unfounded vibe that I keep getting. He's been more than willingly to put over people. AEW right now seems almost too good to be true. lol

Another thing about the ratings is the WWE has this massive 50+ year old viewership which completely dumbfounds me. I'm 47 and really couldn't give two shits about the WWE. They left a sour taste in my mouth, and I've tried watching them again but just can't. I grew up on mid to late 80's WWF. I also watched NWA(which eventually became WCW) back then too when our cable system finally got TBS. Maybe I'm anomaly.
Generally you can't pop significantly larger ratings without a major returning star and Bryan Danielson already debuted at the PPV and was never really away. The best a big match will do is get you to the top of your regular ratings.

Also great shows tend to influence the next werks ratings after people hear about it. So it's slow and steady build.

Old people I'm convinced leave the same TV channel on all day and don't actually watch it, which is why 18-49 demo is key for advertisers.

Araxen

Drunk AF, I hope they keep the push behind Eddie Kingston. I love that dude. Cool AF.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Generally you can't pop significantly larger ratings without a major returning star and Bryan Danielson already debuted at the PPV and was never really away. The best a big match will do is get you to the top of your regular ratings.

Also great shows tend to influence the next werks ratings after people hear about it. So it's slow and steady build.

Old people I'm convinced leave the same TV channel on all day and don't actually watch it, which is why 18-49 demo is key for advertisers.

I don't know who's left as far as big returning stars go. In the span of a month, AEW acquired NXT's top star, possibly main roster WWE's top guy, and the #1 WWE wrestler people have wanted to see return for 7 years. Charlotte, Cena, Brock, or Roman might make some waves if they jumped, but it's unlikely. Bray and Kevin Steen probably won't have a huge effect when they debut.

So basically, if they want to pass up their own ratings record, and pass up RAW, they're pretty much wholly reliant on just building an upward trajectory at this point by putting on good shows. I don't think there are any shock debuts left to spike it, which is why it's a bummer that it didn't get spiked more by the past month.

Actually, there is one name I can think of that might do it and is within the realm of possibility: Steve Austin. If he came back for a run as AEW GM, I would think that it would give the ratings a nice boost. Especially if this involved one more match on PPV, like a dream match with Punk, or a match with Hangman to pass the torch, or something to that effect.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Jungle Boys action figure over here looking like Brad Dourif in Myst 3

2F35D344-F56B-452D-BEC8-C41853C27D37.jpeg

72B013FB-14B5-48F6-A5C7-35C293B69EBD.jpeg

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Hosix

All labs matter!
I don't know who's left as far as big returning stars go. In the span of a month, AEW acquired NXT's top star, possibly main roster WWE's top guy, and the #1 WWE wrestler people have wanted to see return for 7 years. Charlotte, Cena, Brock, or Roman might make some waves if they jumped, but it's unlikely. Bray and Kevin Steen probably won't have a huge effect when they debut.

So basically, if they want to pass up their own ratings record, and pass up RAW, they're pretty much wholly reliant on just building an upward trajectory at this point by putting on good shows. I don't think there are any shock debuts left to spike it, which is why it's a bummer that it didn't get spiked more by the past month.

Actually, there is one name I can think of that might do it and is within the realm of possibility: Steve Austin. If he came back for a run as AEW GM, I would think that it would give the ratings a nice boost. Especially if this involved one more match on PPV, like a dream match with Punk, or a match with Hangman to pass the torch, or something to that effect.

Stone cold as GM would be incredible.

But I don’t think that can happen.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Stone cold as GM would be incredible.
On RAW sure, a GM of any sort in AEW would be shit.

"Tony Khan approved the match for next week..." via commentary is enough, we don't need to waste TV time on someone who can't wrestle and isn't putting anyone over via being a manager. They also don't wan unannounced matches made during the show for later in the show.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
On RAW sure, a GM of any sort in AEW would be shit.

"Tony Khan approved the match for next week..." via commentary is enough, we don't need to waste TV time on someone who can't wrestle and isn't putting anyone over via being a manager. They also don't wan unannounced matches made during the show for later in the show.

A GM could work as a face foil to a heel.

Imagine GM Stone Cold having to deal with a heel CM Punk as champion and completely flouting his rules. A reverse of Austin/McMahon where Austin is now the authority and the rebel is the antagonist.

Araxen

They are getting a little absurd with the amount of people in tag matches. It seems to keep going up and up by the week. lol

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The FMV episode of Dark Side of the Ring this week was excellent. It had interviews from everyone.

• 1Like

Needless

Toe Sucker
It blows my mind that meltzer or someone like that making a Twitter post about how no one can get 10 thousand fans to a show outside of the WWE gave birth to a company that 2 years later is selling out 20k seats multiple times a week, have two prime time tV shows, another 6 or so hours a week of web programming, and have Poached the biggest stars the WWE made post 2004. They are spending a ton, b it they are making over a million a night on tickets for these big shows. And they have working relationships with every large company in the world other than WWE. It’s only a matter of time until AEW has a super show with Impact, AAA NJPW and ROH that sells out a stadium.

omega
Punk
Danielson
Okada
Naito
Bucks
Andrade
Jay White

you slap them together with a monster undercard and I have no doubt you can sell 75 thousand seats

When Stardom inevitably joins this due to NJPW/Bushiroad i'd bust buckets to see that roster with a match or two from those women, even meltzer gave the Utami/Syrui match a 5.5

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
They are getting a little absurd with the amount of people in tag matches. It seems to keep going up and up by the week. lol

it was too much but they wanted to get every member of the dark order in the match. Should have been 7 on 7 no idea why they added Orange.