Sports writer kills himself, leaves behind website describing how and why

khalid

Unelected Mod
You really like that 100 year light-bulb example. You have brought it up abunch of times in this thread and others. You seem to think its concrete proof that capitalism is bad or something, which is pretty absurd. It is a single fucking light bulb bro, nothing more.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
You really like that 100 year light-bulb example. You have brought it up abunch of times in this thread and others. You seem to think its concrete proof that capitalism is bad or something, which is pretty absurd. It is a single fucking light bulb bro, nothing more.
110 years ago we had the technology and knowhow to create a light bulb that, for all intents and purposes, burned indefinitely. The light bulb, incidentally, was one of the first products to usher in planned obsolescence, one of Capitalism's most profitable and irresponsibly wasteful ideas. I think it's ironic how people here try to tell me that Capitalism encourages responsible use of resources, while products (even those made with rare and non-renewable materials) are designed to break down and be replaced. So no, bro, it's not "a single fucking light bulb". It encapsulates one of Capitalism's biggest flaws: Pushing people to consume excessively (and wastefully) in order to generate more profit.

khalid

Unelected Mod
110 years ago we had the technology and knowhow to create a light bulb that, for all intents and purposes, burned indefinitely.
An extremely low-watt non-white lightbulb that produces almost no illumination. If they produced those lights for free, no one would use them.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
He never read Marx though, just completely espouses all his beliefs. It is kind of like finding someone talking about the virgin mary and jesus's ressurection and then them saying they never read the bible. I mean, I guess it is possible, just seems weird.
That is extremely common.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Wait a second, are you saying that there just isn't enough reason not to use oil? So the fact that it's a non-renewable resource, it causes incredible amounts of pollution and destruction to the environment and wars are fought over it just aren't good enough reasons? Seems to me like any one of those reasons alone would be enough to strongly deter us from depending on oil. However, when you put "$$$$" on the other end of the scale, there's just no contest any more. We have plenty of reason, but the reason HAS to include "rich people will get richer" in order for it to become an option.This isthe current rationality, which is why that "rationality" has to be changed if we're going to fix this.
It's not just money, you need to understand that. Money is a symbol for inherent value, it's not the evil you make it out to be. Think of the MASSIVE quality of life improvement oil has brought us. You're attempting to reduce it down to it's bad environmental qualities. But you don't realize how much good comes from it, it'soverwhelmingin our society. If you ever need to go the hospital during a real, critical, emergency, think about the fact that oil is transporting you there by fueling the engine, it's allowed for an enormous amount of precious medical resources to be available by being in shatter proof, flexible containers, it's probably involved in almost every fundamental piece of construction in the very equipment keeping you alive. And it's allowed this all to be purchased far cheaper than any other material available currently, so there are MORE medications, more ambulances and more of everything ready for YOU and your needs.

Part of the reason our quality of life is so high is BECAUSE of oil. If you take it away because of the environment, you may kill millions who depend on all of its many forms--and really, what does that get you? In the end it's an overall net negative in human suffering. And that's what we have to judge all of these systems upon. (Unless you're a nutball who says we need to help the earth for the earth's sake--as if the earth cares about us. Even if we exist for 10 million more years, we'll have existed for no more than a brief blink of the Earth's eye.)

Now, before you say "but there are alternatives!"!!! Yes, yes there are Tan. But not as cheap, nor as ubiquitous in terms of usage. If we had a hard swap to alternatives now, millions would be left out due to price increases--and no Tan, those price increases wouldn't be because of evil greedy men (Well, not ALL of it, some of it yes), it would be because every alternative to oil is far more expensive. Now,over a period of time, as technology increases and synthesizing/production advances on those alternatives, due to the negatives you mentioned increasing the price of oil, you'll see aslowswap. And that's what's great about a fluid economy, Tan. As oil becomes more difficult to use, due to prices from environmental laws, stabilization in the middle east, and the fact that it's finite, you'll see aSTEADY,gradual, stream of innovation in other fields that will bring those pricesdown.

This takes time, and it's one thing Capitalism is usually pretty decent at. However, stropping something just because you're failing to asses the good with the bad? Is a prime example of why centralized authority in Economics tends to fail. Because people are so BAD at taking in the big picture--even economists. That's why having billions of people assessing each problem and reactingandcreating fluid price fluctuations, which will rise in response to the very issues you mention (Finite resource, Environmental damage), is a system that works VERY well (Current instability caused by derivatives not withstanding but read more on perspective below--the current derivative flux is a recent event). Does it have it's problems? Sure. The "spill over" costs from environmental damage isn't included in the price of things unless a government steps in, for example--but that's another piece of the picture, the government is aPARTof the system. It plays it's role, and the market adapts (Read about the tragedy of the commons, for example.).

(And I hate to sound preachy, the market is far from perfect, as you can see from the environmental example, but combined with super actors, like the government, it works. What doesn't work is having one person who can say "OIL IS BAD!" and then screw billions of people because he didn't account for big picture. This is one of the reasons Hodj points to a society run by AI as being something that could actually pull of a "planned" economy--because an advanced enough computer can process the billions of variables in ways that a human, or even an institution of humans could not--not to mention it wouldn't be susceptible to all the vices humans are, like greed.)

Isn't this what I've been saying the problem is for days now?
Yes, but you believe "individuals with power" is only nameless, evil CEO's out for profit. It's not. They may have disproportionate power, sure. But the real power comes from the Western Consumer. That means you, and I Tan. WE are the people that ultimately are the rationality behind change.

I love measurable data! Like the data that shows how many ailments medical marijuana can help. It's incredible! An easily grown weed can make several expensive and harmful drugs obsolete overnight! The quality of life of millions and millions of people would be significantly improved! I'm also a fan of that light bulb that's been burning for over a hundred years. It was created before our grandparents were born and it's still burning. That's an observable fact. So when I talk about what we're capable of, even if I include exclusively only include things we've already accomplished, we're behind. Or, to be more specific, we're being held back. I'm sorry, I can't give Capitalism a free pass on that just because it works better than feudal lords and emperors.
And you shouldn't give Capitalism a pass. The wonderful thing about Capitalism is the Fuedal Lord, Albert Speer, Stalin, or any number of "economic controllers" won't come tokillyou because you questionWHYthose irregularities in the market are allowed to be sustained. It's kind of poignant though that you bring up verifiable evidence on marijuana in an age when we're having large scale legalization. Doesn't that prove the system is working? What's that you say? Not fast enough? Again, this goes back to what I said a few days ago, we, as humans, tend to be VERY relativistic in terms of time scales when looking at the effects of things. But if Weed is made legal in 50 years, then guess what? The span of time since it was illegal will be no more than a blink in western culture.

Again, Tan, Get perspective on things. You judge everything by YOUR view, in YOUR time. And while it's fair to work for change, it's not fair to judge a system from such a narrow perspective when there are BILLIONS of other people working within the same system. Again, looking at your marijuana example--your view is based merely on your perception within your very young life. Capitalism is a system that's been going on for CENTURIES, and evolving, changing--it's measured against systems that were in place for THOUSANDS of years in some cases. Your judgements are probably one of the most apt reasons for the phrase "can't see the forest through the trees".

Just try to think from a perspective outside your own. Really take a bird's eye view in both terms of time, and space (Space being accounting for OTHER people who do not share your views.). That is how most of us here, who are telling you that you are a bit naive, view things. And really, if you want to pass judgement on the world? That's the LEAST you have to do in order to be able to sound somewhat cogent.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
even planned obsolescence isn't entirely without benefit, it does suck to have to buy things before a products "natural" lifespan from a purely utilitarian standpoint, a negative of changing that, or conversely a positive from adopting it is, the resources spent constantly upgrading the same product on much shorter cycles has a markedly high impact on innovation. If you didn't buy a new smartphone every year or two and instead did it every 5 years the money and market for innovation in that arena would be markedly slower.

I'm not saying it's automatically better to planned obsolesce things, all i'm saying is that there are positives and negatives to any decision, it isn't quite as black and white as you make it out to be, like all things there are trade offs.

obsolescence makes products have shorter lifespans, but every generation of the same product is also an increased opportunity to innovate.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Lots'o stuff
I get what you're saying. But perspective or no, there are many aspects of Capitalism that I can't just accept as "the bad that's necessary for the greater good". I really can't. Maybe that's the difference between you and me. I love the idea of reforming Capitalism to work out some of the kinks, but right now that seems like just as much of a pipe dream as the Venus Project. The most important decisions in the world are made by the richest and most powerful people in the world, and they're obviously making these decisions to benefit themselves the most regardless of the consequences to others or the planet. That's a huge, huge, flaw and one that I can't just put up with because Capitalism works better than everything that came before. I don't march around with a "Save the rainforests" sign, but I do shudder to think about the irreparable harm we're causing to the planet in the name of profit. Greed is not good, and no amount of "look how self-stabilizing this system is" preaching will convince me otherwise. Thanks for trying, though.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
i like the behaviour of planned obsolesce. pretty fascinating how group of individuals work together in unison to make more money. think they call it cartel.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
even planned obsolescence isn't entirely without benefit, it does suck to have to buy things before a products "natural" lifespan from a purely utilitarian standpoint, a negative of changing that, or conversely a positive from adopting it is, the resources spent constantly upgrading the same product on much shorter cycles has a markedly high impact on innovation. If you didn't buy a new smartphone every year or two and instead did it every 5 years the money and market for innovation in that arena would be markedly slower.

I'm not saying it's automatically better to planned obsolesce things, all i'm saying is that there are positives and negatives to any decision, it isn't quite as black and white as you make it out to be, like all things there are trade offs.

obsolescence makes products have shorter lifespans, but every generation of the same product is also an increased opportunity to innovate.
Absolutely. There are positives and negatives to any decision. The decision to eat babies might make the parents upset, but they're so tender and the flesh just falls off the bones. Positives and negatives.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
o05HBXs.jpg

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Wow. I didn't realize I was significant enough to get a meme made about me. Thanks, man. Having said that, I know for a fact there are others more deserving of the title "destroyer of threads" than me.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Thread's not ruined, we're waiting for Dumar to come back from his trip. We just took a detour to discuss Capitalism. Interesting discussion, too. No reason for all this bitching and whining, at any rate.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
It's just Swag's shtick. Him and Brutul both do it (Bitch about threads). Except Swag tries to be a poor man's Keg while doing it.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
i am just waiting for dumar to come back, so hodj and dumar can resume their metaphysical debate instead of capitalism, which converted me into a firmer capitalist than ever. So, there was some good in this thread.