Sports writer kills himself, leaves behind website describing how and why

khalid

Unelected Mod
You really are just another religious nut that sees everything through the lens of your faith. It is kind of sad.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
i am half sure dumar is trolling. no man ever says, "I'd like to conclude this thread by yet hammering the point."

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Wow. A perfectly reasonable post by Dumar followed by nothing but snark. Well done, guys. You sure showed him.

khalid

Unelected Mod
A perfectly reasonable post
Yeah right, perfectly reasonable.

Lets go over his "perfectly reasonable" thesis, that anyone who feels unhappy in modern society should kill themselves because capitalism steals your souls. So how does he defend this "perfectly reasonable" thesis? By psychoanalysis of a single incident of a kid meeting his father after months.

How are we supposed to respond to that other than snark?

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Yeah right, perfectly reasonable.

Lets go over his "perfectly reasonable" thesis, that anyone who feels unhappy in modern society should kill themselves because capitalism steals your souls. So how does he defend this "perfectly reasonable" thesis? By psychoanalysis of a single incident of a kid meeting his father after months.

How are we supposed to respond to that other than snark?
Really, Khalid? For one thing, you got his "thesis" all wrong, since he never even implied, let alone stated, that "anyone who feels unhappy in modern society should kill themselves because capitalism steals your souls". This is an irresponsible statement on your part. For another thing, I said his post was reasonable. As an isolated aside making an isolated point, there was nothing offensive or even arguable in that post. This is just yet another example of people looking for someone to shit on because that and tits are what the internet is for. And cats.

Oh, and it was the mother the kid was reuniting with. Did you even read the post?

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I see Dumar hasn't killed himself yet. Put your money where your mouth is and off yourself. Teach capitalism a lesson.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Really, Khalid? For one thing, you got his "thesis" all wrong, since he never even implied, let alone stated, that "anyone who feels unhappy in modern society should kill themselves because capitalism steals your souls". This is an irresponsible statement on your part.
The only irresponsible statements are his, where he says things like

As that article said, if you can objectively point to the ridiculousness, alienation, and overall mental unhealthiness of society, if your mind can objectively look at these facts of reality as they are, does it make any sense to try and adjust to them?

That's actually even more insane.
and then use that as evidence that if you are depressed, instead of getting help, you should just kill yourself.

When you make silly pronouncements like that and other things about how commodities steal souls, then are asked to back it up with facts and instead start quoting Marx, you should be responded to with snark. Even worse though, is if you come back and again instead of backing any of your arguments up with science, come back with a single anecdotal scene and then psychoanalyze it.

If Lumie joined this thread and said anyone depressed shouldn't seek help because after all, lizardmen run everything and you SHOULD be depressed if you had the forethought to notice this, would you be suggesting that we respond to him seriously? Of course not. Yet Dumar's arguments are no more scientific than lizardmen. The only difference is, in this case you believe in Dumar's nonscientific thoughts whereas you dismiss Lumies.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
The only irresponsible statements are his, where he says things like

As that article said, if you can objectively point to the ridiculousness, alienation, and overall mental unhealthiness of society, if your mind can objectively look at these facts of reality as they are, does it make any sense to try and adjust to them?

That's actually even more insane.
and then use that as evidence that if you are depressed, instead of getting help, you should just kill yourself.
What's wrong with that quote? Society is absolutely ridiculous, alienating and mentally unhealthy. Most of us just choose not to objectively look at these facts, because to do so is simply too painful and/or depressing. We look at it through filters instead, which society is more than willing to help us with. We ignore what's too disturbing, we focus on distractions and we convince ourselves that things are pretty good overall. And, again, unless I missed something Dumar never said anyone "should" kill themselves, just that it could be considered a rational decision based one's perception and circumstances.

When you make silly pronouncements like that and other things about how commodities steal souls, then are asked to back it up with facts and instead start quoting Marx, you should be responded to with snark. Even worse though, is if you come back and again instead of backing any of your arguments up with science, come back with a single anecdotal scene and then psychoanalyze it.

If Lumie joined this thread and said anyone depressed shouldn't seek help because after all, lizardmen run everything and you SHOULD be depressed if you had the forethought to notice this, would you be suggesting that we respond to him seriously? Of course not. Yet Dumar's arguments are no more scientific than lizardmen. The only difference is, in this case you believe in Dumar's nonscientific thoughts whereas you dismiss Lumies.
Did Dumar ever say "steal souls"? I would think you would know that re-wording people's points to over-simplify them and make them easier to ridicule is a pretty shitty debate tactic. Not shitty in the sense that it doesn't lead to "won" debates (it sure does), but shitty in the sense that it eschews out-smarting your opponent in favor of misrepresenting his platform. Yes, if someone brings lizardmen into the conversation, it is more than reasonable to ask for facts to back that up. What part of anything Dumar has said do you feel is wrong or in need of further support? Do you disagree with the claim that our emotions have been commodified?

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
No, I am pretty fond of myself actually. Why?
frown.png

khalid

Unelected Mod
Did Dumar ever say "steal souls"? I would think you would know that re-wording people's points to over-simplify them and make them easier to ridicule is a pretty shitty debate tactic.
No, he never said "steal souls", he tried to obfuscate the fact that his argument essentially meant the same thing. I am under no obligation to defend his point for him. He has had all kinds of chances to defend his point, all of which comes down to either quoting Marx or psychoanalyzing a single kid. I am not simplifying his argument to make it easier to ridicule, I am simplifying his silly argument past all the obfuscation of his 100 line vomitting of marx.

Also, him saying "its a rational choice to kill yourself in these circumstances' is advocatingsuicidein those circumstances. If I said "it would be a rational choice to buy Apple stock right now", in what world would that not be seen as me advocating the buying of Apple stock?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Even worse though, is if you come back and again instead of backing any of your arguments up with science, come back with a single anecdotal scene and then psychoanalyze it.
What bothers me most about it is that his so called psychoanalysis ALWAYS focuses solely on the most negative interpretations of events possible.

Dumar, how's about you explain to us why you Marxists are so fucking bleak, and why we should care what people with as bleak and negative an outlook have to say?

Negativity breeds contempt, and every die hard Marxist I meet is the most negative type of person. Everyone is evil, everyone is either slave or master, every law, every rule, every facet of our society is held up to contempt and hatred, examined and cross examined and found wanting. Seems to me that Marxists are really just the perpetually unsatisifiable and perpetually unsatisfied people of our society. Failures lashing out at a system they feel screwed them out of something that they more than likely screwed themselves out of in the end.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Dude I'm married and our schedules are so fucked its been like two weeks since I've had sex and I'm gonna have to do something about that.