Sports writer kills himself, leaves behind website describing how and why

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
whenever hodj starts arguing with somebody in a thread it is no longer readable

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
when someone spams paragraphs for dozens of pages i just skim the thread and get exhausted

its like someone who never takes a break during a conversation to let you get a sentence in

long-winded or w/e you wud call it

iannis

Musty Nester
It's The Onion. They aim for snide and witty. Sometimes they miss the mark an fall into either funny or dumb, but they're pretty solid with the snide and witty.

They're kinda like the 1990's version of The News from Lake Woebegone

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
It's The Onion. They aim for snide and witty. Sometimes they miss the mark an fall into either funny or dumb, but they're pretty solid with the snide and witty.
e

it's dumb. lately it feels like they are trying too hard and miss the mark all together.

good news. manufactured college accepted my sister's application. her manufactured happiness was very awesome.

Dumar_sl

shitlord

They're kinda like the 1990's version of The News from Lake Woebegone
It's a satire of how society perceives and transforms its social relations, one ofcommodification,reification.

I especially love this gem:

"I grew up with Ashley and never thought much of her before, but over the last year or so, I really started to see her for the beautiful little piece of equipment she is," said Turner, expressing enthusiasm for how the teen had evolved into a dazzling sexual apparatus. "I'm thinking of asking that mere receptacle to prom."

Dumar_sl

shitlord
I'd like to conclude this thread by yet hammering the point further by an example I noticed over the weekend. When you open your eyes to these kinds of modern social relations, the results of these analyses become very obvious. I got back from Catalonia on Friday and watched most of the CFB games Saturday.

During the Wisconsin game, there was an interlude with a kid being reunited with her mother who returned from Afghanistan on the field during a media timeout. Supposedly it was the first time they'd seen in each in months or over a year or whatever.

This is very interesting to us for our purposes here. Let's get to the psychosocial analysis.

Indeed, if it is true that they truly hadn't seen each other for that length of time, it then begs the curiosity of why would this reunion take place on a football field, not in an airport. And secondly, what is the purpose of showing this reunion not just on national television, but during an intermission at a popular sporting event?

Either the mother and her family put forward the idea of the broadcast reunion or the tv network did, and in either case, the intention is both obvious and especially dubious. If it was the mother and her family, then their own personal egoism takes precedence over seeing her kid upon her return. If it was the network, then equally obviously they wanted to elicit emotion from the audience. A football game makes you excited, joyous, sometimes sad. This, and all other activities like it, are designed to further elicit different emotions. The idolatrous nationalistic 'soldier from Afghanistan' angle is a bonus.

You combine the ability to experience a wider range of emotion with the idolatry of nationalism and you have a great commodity that almost anyone would want to consume. If a wife doesn't enjoy watching football with her husband for example, surely she might feel something upon seeing this reunion, and maybe tune-in for just a little longer, perhaps watch an advertisement or two.

So you can see, the well-oiled machine of commodity production further oils itself as it goes. Not only are we feeling something from seeing a bunch of guys tackle each other over a ball, but we've now combined that with feelings of long lost family coming together through an idolatrous nationalistic character.

Making a perfect product even better.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
If you think imprinting emotions onto things is exclusive to capitalism you are out of your fucking mind. you know what it's exclusive to? Mammals, it helps prevent them from eating their children like lizards.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Still not seeing him cite any of that proof that commodities suck the humanity out of people.

Dude you had a week to find a single, peer reviewed article supporting your point of view.

Also you gotta love how the guy doesn't let anyone just be happy. Everything has to be about asserting egoist nationalist war mongering blah blah blah.

Its a sad, sick world view that says people can't be happy a family member whose been off to serve in the military because they dared experience that with a group of people.

Wait I thought Dumar said real experiences were experiences that happened in groups of people who were connecting on an emotional level. So why is he now complaining that a large crowd of people did just that?

Such a bleak, sad, world view.

Hey Dumar, if sports are a product of capitalism, how do you explain ullamaliztli?

http://www.aztec-history.com/aztec-ball-game.html

No capitalism, yet people were entertained by sports anyway.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I'd like to conclude this thread by yet hammering the point further by an example I noticed over the weekend. When you open your eyes to these kinds of modern social relations, the results of these analyses become very obvious. I got back from Catalonia on Friday and watched most of the CFB games Saturday.

During the Wisconsin game, there was an interlude with a kid being reunited with her mother who returned from Afghanistan on the field during a media timeout. Supposedly it was the first time they'd seen in each in months or over a year or whatever.

This is very interesting to us for our purposes here. Let's get to the psychosocial analysis.

Indeed, if it is true that they truly hadn't seen each other for that length of time, it then begs the curiosity of why would this reunion take place on a football field, not in an airport. And secondly, what is the purpose of showing this reunion not just on national television, but during an intermission at a popular sporting event?

Either the mother and her family put forward the idea of the broadcast reunion or the tv network did, and in either case, the intention is both obvious and especially dubious. If it was the mother and her family, then their own personal egoism takes precedence over seeing her kid upon her return. If it was the network, then equally obviously they wanted to elicit emotion from the audience. A football game makes you excited, joyous, sometimes sad. This, and all other activities like it, are designed to further elicit different emotions. The idolatrous nationalistic 'soldier from Afghanistan' angle is a bonus.

You combine the ability to experience a wider range of emotion with the idolatry of nationalism and you have a great commodity that almost anyone would want to consume. If a wife doesn't enjoy watching football with her husband for example, surely she might feel something upon seeing this reunion, and maybe tune-in for just a little longer, perhaps watch an advertisement or two.

So you can see, the well-oiled machine of commodity production further oils itself as it goes. Not only are we feeling something from seeing a bunch of guys tackle each other over a ball, but we've now combined that with feelings of long lost family coming together through an idolatrous nationalistic character.

Making a perfect product even better.
were you high when you were writing this.