Sports writer kills himself, leaves behind website describing how and why

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Is that supposed to be some sort of point? That'sliterallyall it is.

We really are dealing with some sort of religious fanaticism here, aren't we?

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Is that supposed to be some sort of point? That'sliterallyall it is.

We really are dealing with some sort of religious fanaticism here, aren't we?
Nope, religion has nothing to do with it.
Don't worry dude, you're not being judged. Not everyone is the same. Some people just aren't capable of perceiving things from an alternate perspective. Pretty much sums up this whole thread, or on a grander scale all of humanity as a whole. Thanks for playing.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
The word 'human' means something specific. You want to use it to imply something vague and magical. I'm not gonna let you. No apology.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Nothing can strip me from "being human" and there's no such thing as a soul. So... wat? [...] The word 'human' means something specific. You want to use it to imply something vague and magical.
Let us be clear (again). You're correct on the specific. There's nothing spiritual, religious, or otherwise non-concrete to my statements: it's as real as you can get. Tan's example of the caged animals was a great one that we can use to contrast.

We are not talking about souls, magic, or anything such. We are talking aboutactivity, what a certain being, a grasshopper, lion, human,does in the world, and further, how thatdoing affects their sensuous experience.

A human being is a human being not just biologically speaking, but because he or she experiences the world in a certain way, in a human way (i.e., with self-awareness, amongst other things), which is obviously rather completely different than the way something like a grasshopper or a lion experiences the world. This experience comes about by their own activity and relationships to other organisms around them.

If you cage a grasshopper or a lion, then the way they experience is no longer through their own activity, throughwhat they do. So hypothetically, if those two organisms were self-aware and could communicate, the caged grasshopper and the caged lion would likely describe a similar life experience of living in a caged world all their lives, and then if you contrasted this life experience with two from the wild, that narrative would be wildly different. In this sense, that existence deprives them ofbeinga grasshopper, ofbeinga lion: because theydo notexperience the worldasgrasshoppers and lions do.

In terms of human beings and commodity overproduction then, it stands to question the role commodities play in our lives. Because commodities, the capitalistic mode of production, are the foundation of this modern society, and we should ask if this foundation, or certain parts of it, are conducive to our mental well-being. Obviously, it's mostly a great thing that we can mass produce blankets (mostly, as oddly most impoverished people around the world yet get them), but physical needs are but one part of total human need: we are talking about mental needs, mental health. And the overproduction of commodities whose purpose are to generate emotion or feelings has the negative consequences of removing the activities we ourselves do that spontaneously beget our own emotions and feelings, to the point where, more and more, the things felt by you weren't because of you.

So as the thesis goes, this leads to feelings of estrangement, emptiness, and alienation in one's own life. These feelings are totally rational because it isn't the person that's mentally unhealthy, but on the contrary, the society in which this individual livesis.

You don't get it dude [...] His "proof" of his premise was an empty appeal to Marxism.
I put this to rest inthis post. See from the 2nd paragraph.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
rrr_img_44514.jpg

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
The word 'human' means something specific. You want to use it to imply something vague and magical. I'm not gonna let you. No apology.
You are a reflection of your actions. Nothing vague and magical about it. And the word "human" is only as specific as the context allows it to be. Like I said, if you choose to look at "human" as being a particular configuration of DNA and nothing else, fine. There's nothing else to say to you. You don't have to apologize. Just don't assume that your choice to consider only a narrow definition of what it means to be human somehow works as an argument against anything Dumar has said, because it doesn't. He's talking about the human experience, you're playing word games.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Guys I can't believe you are pretending to read and comprehend written English in front of tanoomba. He has a bachelor's in English and teaches Hispanic children and ebonics speaking hood rats proper English.

This alone makes him more capable of understanding and drawing conclusions from the written word. he is infinitely better than anyone else.

Engaging him is futile.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
don't really get why he thinks his degree is worth something and puts him on a higher plane. Delusional retard.

In terms of human beings and commodity overproduction then, it stands to question the role commodities play in our lives. Because commodities, the capitalistic mode of production, are the foundation of this modern society, and we should ask if this foundation, or certain parts of it, are conducive to our mental well-being. Obviously, it's mostly a great thing that we can mass produce blankets (mostly, as oddly most impoverished people around the world yet get them), but physical needs are but one part of total human need: we are talking about mental needs, mental health. And the overproduction of commodities whose purpose are to generate emotion or feelings has the negative consequences of removing the activitieswe ourselves do that spontaneously beget our own emotions and feelings,to the point where, more and more, the things felt by you weren't because of you.
Nope.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Dumar, lets say you had your way, and you destroyed all the theme parks and contrived entertainment that exist today.

What do you replace them with? What would you rather people be doing? I'd like concrete answers to this not some vague "THEY WOULD CREATE THEIR OWN CONTENT LOL!"

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This may be the single most derailed and side tracked thread in the history of this community, but its still a good read for entertainment value.

Anyhow, I think Dumar's perfect world would be something along the lines of the Equilibrium movies society, judging by snippets of his spread across several threads.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
This may be the single most derailed and side tracked thread in the history of this community, but its still a good read for entertainment value.

Anyhow, I think Dumar's perfect world would be something along the lines of the Equilibrium movies society, judging by snippets of his spread across several threads.
Lets say I haven't seen that movie, give me the 2-sentence version.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Everyone takes medication to suppress emotions, no forms of art are allowed, and everything and everyone is homogeneous more or less. Oh ya and a supreme leader type.

They also still use swords for some reason, but it is forgiven because faces get chopped off.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider

I don't think that's right. Dumar never said we were automatons, he said in modern life everything has a price, and that diminishes the emotional value of everything.

Equilibrium was sweet as hell though.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Manipulating emotions is/was used by every known governmental/economic system.