Squid Game

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am in the minority I guess, I couldnt get passed episode one. Shit was just bad.

• 1Garbage
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
The main, personal, complaint was that this was just too mean and sad. Not that it was violent or had a little blood or whatever. But just the slow burn and watching everyone die, get killed, kill each other, watch each other die. It was just too heavy

I thought I was handling this show pretty well as my general stoic self, then came the marbles episode. That episode shook me in a way that hasn't happened in...years? It was just so rough on many different levels. I had to take a break after that one and get a hug from the wife, still have 7 - 9 to go.

That being said, I do really like show. It is entertaining and I want to see where it goes.

Using my personal rating system, I will look at my phone while watching but will pause the show if I use the restroom. Not much these days that passes the phone test.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Another complaint is that once you pull back the curtain on this type of thing it gets too convoluted. I mean, even more convoluted than the premise is to begin with. Seeing all the minions interacting behind the scenes and all that stuff. I would rather it were confined more to just the players and their back stories. There was enough there without the other things.

They introduced the brother. They needed his arc for the twist! The bad guy is your brother! Kinda saw that a mile away.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
They introduced the brother. They needed his arc for the twist! The bad guy is your brother! Kinda saw that a mile away.

Yeah that brother twist as well as the Player 01 thing

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
People actually listen to dub?
Dub. The main dude in the first episode is just cringe. I was hoping for something akin to Train to Busan level of acting.
there-it.gif

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
The subtitles are getting panned for shitty translation, confirmed by Koreans I know.

• 1Like

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Dub. The main dude in the first episode is just cringe. I was hoping for something akin to Train to Busan level of acting.
We used the dub while eating, but 95% was sub. The English VA is absolute shit. You miss out on all the emotion of the characters without the original voice. I’ve had to berate my friends who watched the entire series with the dub.

• 1WTF

spronk

FPS noob
We watched one episode a night, worked out really well, gave you time to absorb stuff and think about the characters. I really, really liked the show, honestly probably my favorite show of the year. Yeah, it doesn't quite "fit" in the end but I liked the philosophical discussion at the end. It felt like I was watching a person and maybe culture I don't really get, and I appreciate that "I'm viewing at 90 degrees" idea of something different from what I am used to.

My wife was sobbing at the end of some episodes and even I felt pretty sad, and while I like the scifi/setting of Alice in Borderlands I never really gave a shit about anyone there.

Its funny how if I start typing "how much is 45 bil" google automatically fills out and lets me know its 38 million dollars, lol.

• 1Like

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I absolutely hated the last minute of the movie. But I liked the ending of the game, and I was even quasi-ok with the main twist. The minor twist with the cop just felt like limp dick shit. A whole storyline... for nothing?

All in all I would certainly rec the show.

spronk

FPS noob
one thing I found interesting about the final episode, obviously spoilers about the last episode of the show/season

So the two of them are sitting there watching the homeless guy, 10 mins to go, waiting to see if someone will help him. Western me thinks the obvious play out is Gi-Hun will decide to rush down and help the guy himself, proving there are still good people in the world and he is a good person.

That does NOT happen, he is content to wait and see if someone else will help, in a sort of Dark Knight Joker-esque "test humanity" kind of way.

Is that an asian mindset? I found it pretty interesting, there were a number of choices like that throughout the show where what I thought was the "obvious" choice was clearly something very different to a different country. Is it supposed to show the audience that Gi-hun is actually not really a good person, he is content to let others act but not do something himself? I have a hard time reconciling whether Gi-hun is a bad person or not, he waited until after that meeting (a YEAR after the game) before helping anyone or visiting his daughter, which he immediately walks back too! To me, all along, he was a deadbeat gambling addict who never changes and will go back less to "fix" things but more for the rush.

and yeah the brother police-cop just getting shot (but maybe not dead? we never see him die) was one of the weirder scenes in the show that still doesn't make much sense to me.

some members of the cast will be appearing on the tonight show this wednesday. Its the most streamed show in like 90 countries now, probably be pretty much everywhere by the end of the week.

Last edited:

Warpath

Golden Baronet of the Realm
why are the dubs so awful? netflix doesn't have the budget for some decent voice actors?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
one thing I found interesting about the final episode, obviously spoilers about the last episode of the show/season

So the two of them are sitting there watching the homeless guy, 10 mins to go, waiting to see if someone will help him. Western me thinks the obvious play out is Gi-Hun will decide to rush down and help the guy himself, proving there are still good people in the world and he is a good person.

That does NOT happen, he is content to wait and see if someone else will help, in a sort of Dark Knight Joker-esque "test humanity" kind of way.

Is that an asian mindset? I found it pretty interesting, there were a number of choices like that throughout the show where what I thought was the "obvious" choice was clearly something very different to a different country. Is it supposed to show the audience that Gi-hun is actually not really a good person, he is content to let others act but not do something himself? I have a hard time reconciling whether Gi-hun is a bad person or not, he waited until after that meeting (a YEAR after the game) before helping anyone or visiting his daughter, which he immediately walks back too! To me, all along, he was a deadbeat gambling addict who never changes and will go back less to "fix" things but more for the rush.

and yeah the brother police-cop just getting shot (but maybe not dead? we never see him die) was one of the weirder scenes in the show that still doesn't make much sense to me.

some members of the cast will be appearing on the tonight show this wednesday. Its the most streamed show in like 90 countries now, probably be pretty much everywhere by the end of the week.
he's just a shit tier human, theres nothing redeeming about him at all