Squid Game

spronk

FPS noob
The tone of the show is super un-even. It's quirky, it's dark, it's cringey, it's horrifically violent, it tries to be funny, it is sentimental, it's tense, it is sad. It is all over the place.

Everything it does, they go for it 100%. They take it to the extreme. They had an interesting premise, good cast & characters, and they all believed in what they were making. It is far from perfect or great, but it does more good things than bad.

I wish HBO could have gotten ahold of this and put their extra level of polish on it.

*AND good god, don't watch this with the English dub. It is embarrassing and annoying. LRN2Read you illiterate fucks.

the follow the perfect rule of good entertainment: setup some rules in the beginning, THEN STICK WITH THEM. Yes, its completely ludicrous that 456 people can "disappear" and nobody starts a massive investigation. Thats not important, you set up all this shit in the first episode and you basically don't break this slightly unbelievable world.

Sure, some stuff does get a little wonky near the end that stretches things, but I was invested in the characters by then. Shitty shows just have magical shit happen much later, that completely violate basic shit you setup early on. Lost was famous for this, as are most time travel shows (except 12 Monkeys!!).

meanwhile Netflix announced today Squid game has been watched by over 111m accounts, making it the biggest series launch for any TV show, period. also

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
the follow the perfect rule of good entertainment: setup some rules in the beginning, THEN STICK WITH THEM. Yes, its completely ludicrous that 456 people can "disappear" and nobody starts a massive investigation. Thats not important, you set up all this shit in the first episode and you basically don't break this slightly unbelievable world.

Sure, some stuff does get a little wonky near the end that stretches things, but I was invested in the characters by then. Shitty shows just have magical shit happen much later, that completely violate basic shit you setup early on. Lost was famous for this, as are most time travel shows (except 12 Monkeys!!).

meanwhile Netflix announced today Squid game has been watched by over 111m accounts, making it the biggest series launch for any TV show, period. also

Now show me the numbers of the most popular woke show.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I wish HBO of 10 years ago could have gotten ahold of this and put their extra level of polish on it.

I think the things that contributed the most to this show working was the actors definitely did a good job and seemed into it, because they definitely had to work to sell some of the silly premises. There were a lot of emotional moments just done well. The show gets lost a few times on stuff it didn't need to do, but really the show did way more right.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Really good show. I enjoyed it a lot. I like that it was a self contained 8 episodes that told the whole story start to finish.

Definitely requires some suspension of disbelief, but well worth it. Great "feel" of hyper precisely choreographed setting. Excellent visual branding with the masked figures, circle triangle square symbology, the giftwrapped coffins and items.

I will say that...

I felt that the identity of the old man being behind it all was a bit too telegraphed. Him being number 1 was suspicious enough, and not seeing him get shot was maybe something they could get away with, but then they made it a point to show the pakistani man's (Ali?) body in the coffin.

I also thought I saw that he was NOT targeted (green or red) by the camera in red light green light, but looking back now it looks like he is.

Also yes, definitely watch it in Korean. That first game was infinitely harder in English to predict when to move.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
pxB6DLxOIEtzNIjqN373kbEQxFUXrKa3yzBvm7CZnijmzeaDu0LeYIMsV7Tz1BQhuAkTc_Z-nZ-rVkPP-baNechhSgX0O4z98xQ_u2HCdzKKIg=w1200-h630-rj-pp-e365

2kejka3jzws71.jpg

it's a real prop from a tea museum called matcha land, hand is missing for real

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Jesus christ that skit was garbage. A song? Thats the BEST idea they could come up with for a Squid Game skit?
Song was 50x better than their usual bullshit. SNL is horrible, lucky if you get 1 funny skit per episode. Rami was actually pretty good in his skits.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>
I don't know how there is still an audience for SNL it's beyond horrible and has been for a couple of decades now.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I don't know how there is still an audience for SNL it's beyond horrible and has been for a couple of decades now.
I mean when I was a kid everyone talked about how SNL used to be funny.

I feel like my whole life, the only people tuning in to SNL are checking to see if it ever got the funny back, then realizing it didnt, and checking back out. SNL is still running on fumes that our parents remember and somehow pass on to us.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
SNL has always been a terrible show where the occasional funny person passes through. The actually funny people get jobs making money quickly.

• 1Like

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
I usually get really high and laugh at how bad it is, that’s the only joy I get from it (at least the last 10x years)

Chris

Potato del Grande
The tone of the show is super un-even. It's quirky, it's dark, it's cringey, it's horrifically violent, it tries to be funny, it is sentimental, it's tense, it is sad. It is all over the place.

Everything it does, they go for it 100%. They take it to the extreme. They had an interesting premise, good cast & characters, and they all believed in what they were making. It is far from perfect or great, but it does more good things than bad.

I wish HBO could have gotten ahold of this and put their extra level of polish on it.

*AND good god, don't watch this with the English dub. It is embarrassing and annoying. LRN2Read you illiterate fucks.
I think that this is a good thing and HBO would have ruined it.

There is a concept in Japanese Manga that things should be "interesting" and that's what this is.

Things that are perfectly produced all end up being the same boring shit we have seen a million times, HBO also would have made it super diverse and ruined the authentic Korean feel.

There is one white guy in the whole thing and he is a gross obese paedophile. Amazing. If only black people were as anti-fragile, our culture would be a lot better.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah the more you think about some of the characters the more interesting they and the show are, there is also a deep, deep underlying current of massive criticism of society and capitalism but not for a single second does anyone make a speech about any of it. I really, really like that.

The show drives every second forward from "what is this persons background? how would they realistically react to this situation?" instead of going backwards from "what is it I want to say, as a writer? How do I get this character to show that?" which is what most western shows are now.

For example the two main male leads, 456 and 218, both come from the exact same place and do very similar shitty things (their moms, debt, etc) but have extremely different viewpoints and ways they tackle things. Both do extremely terrible things. Its really interesting to think about how their lives shape their decisions.

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
seems like the 2blanks in a popo gun is true
ae8d7fb32161d718c9d8471f6dda60cf.png

5f18192371f0a7672862b77b72df541d.png

This all makes sense to me. Koreans and East Asians in general tend to be smart enough to stop short when a warning shot is fired. They don't have to deal with that many charging Michael Brown psychopaths.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This all makes sense to me. Koreans and East Asians in general tend to be smart enough to stop short when a warning shot is fired. They don't have to deal with that many charging Michael Brown psychopaths.
lulz you see just recently these popo fired warning shots at a soccer game nad ppl are like, whatever faggot

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I mean when I was a kid everyone talked about how SNL used to be funny.

I feel like my whole life, the only people tuning in to SNL are checking to see if it ever got the funny back, then realizing it didnt, and checking back out. SNL is still running on fumes that our parents remember and somehow pass on to us.

SNL was good during the heyday of Steve Martin and Eddie Murphy, up through the mid-90's with Norm and Sandler / Farley / Rob Schneider (ith...the thapler!)

I remember falling asleep to it in the late 80's and early 90's as a small kid, but I'd always stay up long enough for Weekend Update, that was my favorite part. Back then it was actually funny and SUPER anti-establishment. Not like the bootlicking commie fuckfest it is now.

When I was a teenager I stopped watching it for a few years (switched to Mad TV). Like 1995 to 1999 or something like that. When I started tuning in again in 99, it was terrible compared to a few years earlier. The only real funny parts were Will Ferrell and Chris Kattan. It felt weirdly propagandistic at that point, or maybe I was just more jaded. Sporadically kept tuning into it over the years and now it's basically just an establishment programming arm; humor isn't the point or the intent so much as getting The Message across, whatever The Message is that year.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
SNL was good during the heyday of Steve Martin and Eddie Murphy, up through the mid-90's with Norm and Sandler / Farley / Rob Schneider (ith...the thapler!)

I remember falling asleep to it in the late 80's and early 90's as a small kid, but I'd always stay up long enough for Weekend Update, that was my favorite part. Back then it was actually funny and SUPER anti-establishment. Not like the bootlicking commie fuckfest it is now.

When I was a teenager I stopped watching it for a few years (switched to Mad TV). Like 1995 to 1999 or something like that. When I started tuning in again in 99, it was terrible compared to a few years earlier. The only real funny parts were Will Ferrell and Chris Kattan. It felt weirdly propagandistic at that point, or maybe I was just more jaded. Sporadically kept tuning into it over the years and now it's basically just an establishment programming arm; humor isn't the point or the intent so much as getting The Message across, whatever The Message is that year.
snl only had an audience b/c there was nothing else on tv

once cable came around and then the internet, just as worthless as late night talk shows