Squid Game

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
why are the dubs so awful? netflix doesn't have the budget for some decent voice actors?

I think the voice actors are directed to mimic the deliveries of the Korean actors, which leads to word emphasis and cadence in odd places to the ears of native English speakers. I don't think it's as simple as "bad dubbing", because obviously anyone who speaks native English knows it isn't natural (including the voice actors, who are all bilingual). It's a stylistic choice common to a lot of Asian imported media.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
It wasn't perfect but I enjoyed the hell out of this. I think I feel that they never went all in on any aspect of any of it, but it still worked. Probably the fastest I have made it through a show of this length in quite a long time, really wanted to keep seeing where this was leading.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The game host is a Hong Kong action star. I highly recommend you check out his other films. Lee Byung Hun.

Both of these are solid revenge flicks.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Why is everyone in Korea millions of funny money in debt? From this show I gather that absolutely nobody has money and everyone is completely in debt, except as a random chance win, but someone will probably steal it soon. At least they can still buy booze on honor or whatever.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
This show made me wonder if personal debt really was a big issue in Korea. Holy fuck:

Why is everyone in Korea millions of funny money in debt? From this show I gather that absolutely nobody has money and everyone is completely in debt, except as a random chance win, but someone will probably steal it soon. At least they can still buy booze on honor or whatever.

Partly covered in that previous post, I believe.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
This was an interesting show. I was surprised to find out just how popular it was/is, I am not sure where they intend to go with a second season if they make one that wouldn't diminish the whole thing.

spronk

FPS noob

before Squid game she had 400k followers on instagram, closing in on 20m now

brother and sister in law never watched the show so we watched the first 3 episodes last night, it was pretty interesting rewatching knowing how the show ends.

Last edited:

Fucker

Log Wizard
seems like the 2blanks in a popo gun is true
ae8d7fb32161d718c9d8471f6dda60cf.png

5f18192371f0a7672862b77b72df541d.png
Foler's last name is Gyoon?

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard

before Squid game she had 400k followers on instagram, closing in on 20m now

brother and sister in law never watched the show so we watched the first 3 episodes last night, it was pretty interesting rewatching knowing how the show ends.

Teleguests is the lamest thing I've seen on that lame show.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Good shit,
the glass bridge was some bullshit. I guess they will just shoot them if they ran along the rails.
I've watched enough asian gameshows to know that it's also really realistic. Asian people tend to take the rules at face value and act very different from white's/blacks in those situations.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I enjoyed the show. I liked some of the strategy involved with trying to survive. Episode 6 was the strongest one for me. Really great acting.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Something that bothered me about episode 6. Rules being the rules and all (went back and watched again just to make sure I was right).
During the marbles game the rule was "take all 10 marbles from your partner" not "have 20 marbles" by the end. Would have ruined the show but seems like it'd be really easy to have a watcher observe a game that had you exchange all 10 marbles with your partner in effect having both "win". Then again maybe it points out how retarded those losers were in there they couldn't get out of their debt ;)

spronk

FPS noob
expect a lot of this on halloween

nioagskzgus71.jpg

and i guess the GTA RP crew are getting into squid game hard, creating an island and costumes and shit, assume the games and VIP lounge will be going in too

this is pretty awesome, someone modeled an entire scene with toy story in game 1

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
yeah, started watching since you'll are talking about it.

first thing I did was check exchange rates, within 20min of the first episode.
.00084 usd to 1 krw.
so, "10,000 won" is $8.35
100,000 won is $83.52
4mill won, is $3,341

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The tone of the show is super un-even. It's quirky, it's dark, it's cringey, it's horrifically violent, it tries to be funny, it is sentimental, it's tense, it is sad. It is all over the place.

Everything it does, they go for it 100%. They take it to the extreme. They had an interesting premise, good cast & characters, and they all believed in what they were making. It is far from perfect or great, but it does more good things than bad.

I wish HBO could have gotten ahold of this and put their extra level of polish on it.

*AND good god, don't watch this with the English dub. It is embarrassing and annoying. LRN2Read you illiterate fucks.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Episode 2 is boring character development but Episode 1 and Episode 3+ are great.