Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Well those screenshots look like 32 bits photochopped up to 64 bits. I can tell because I've seen a lot of bits in my life and they look very suspicious.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
Can all the 2 bit hacks shitposting here even count high enough to tell the difference between 32 and 64 though?

I mean that's more then all their fingers and toes combined!

Blackwulf

N00b
I know the whole thing is bullshit because Chris Roberts has made outlandish statements like they can make zones that are "billions of kilometers across" just because they moved from 32 bit to 64 bit. He also said that standard 32 bit maps are just "a few kilometers across." Okay, Einstein, how do you go from a few kilometers to billions of kilometers by just doubling the bits. That's not what I call adding up your math right.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I know the whole thing is bullshit because Chris Roberts has made outlandish statements like they can make zones that are "billions of kilometers across" just because they moved from 32 bit to 64 bit. He also said that standard 32 bit maps are just "a few kilometers across." Okay, Einstein, how do you go from a few kilometers to billions of kilometers by just doubling the bits. That's not what I call adding up your math right.
Because of exponential growth.

The C++ standard is
FLT_MAX: 3.40282347E+38F
DBL_MAX: 1.7976931348623157E+308
The GNU C Library: IEEE Floating Point

float is usually considered a 32bit floating point number, double is a 64bit floating point number.

To give you some perspective, 1e2 is 100, 1e3 is 1000 and 1e4 is 10000. going from 38 to 308 is increasing the order of magnitude of resolution some 270 times.

Blackwulf

N00b
Because of exponential growth.

The C++ standard is
FLT_MAX: 3.40282347E+38F
DBL_MAX: 1.7976931348623157E+308
The GNU C Library: IEEE Floating Point

float is usually considered a 32bit floating point number, double is a 64bit floating point number.

To give you some perspective, 1e2 is 100, 1e3 is 1000 and 1e4 is 10000. going from 38 to 308 is increasing the order of magnitude of resolution some 270 times.
Uh, I thought my attempt to be ridiculous would garner more laughs. I guess this goes to show you guysreally dothink I'm a retard.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Haha sorry =\

It's not that I think you or anyone is a retard for treating precision due to bit size intuitively (double your bits, double your precision), it's just that as a programmer I'm baffled that gamers are so focused on such a technical discussion. Nobody knows the details of how they are accomodating higher precision tracking of objects in space (It's not just simply compiling in 64 bit, as the above article indicates it's all about choosing which data structures to use 64bit with).

Blackwulf

N00b
Haha sorry =\

It's not that I think you or anyone is a retard for treating precision due to bit size intuitively (double your bits, double your precision), it's just that as a programmer I'm baffled that gamers are so focused on such a technical discussion. Nobody knows the details of how they are accomodating higher precision tracking of objects in space (It's not just simply compiling in 64 bit, as the above article indicates it's all about choosing which data structures to use 64bit with).
Nah, that's cool, and to be honest I think when I first learned about 64 bit vs 32 bit, I thought, "Oh yeah, that's a lot better." I never really looked at how big the numbers got when you start going up those orders of magnitude. I don't remember where, but on some board where people were talking about SC (probably reddit) there was a math wiz that illustrated a lot more clearly how significant the difference was.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
COME ON MAN, DO THE MATH! 64 bit **ALWAYS** wins

rrr_img_113763.jpg

(Yes I bought one of these lol.... Oh how sad 99% of the games were)
((Except Aliens Vs Predator :p)

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Nah, that's cool, and to be honest I think when I first learned about 64 bit vs 32 bit, I thought, "Oh yeah, that's a lot better." I never really looked at how big the numbers got when you start going up those orders of magnitude. I don't remember where, but on some board where people were talking about SC (probably reddit) there was a math wiz that illustrated a lot more clearly how significant the difference was.
Yea. If you're only working with integer/fixed precision numbers, then going from 32 bits to 64 gives you 4 billion larger coordinates. Otherwise, if you're dealing with floating point, you go from plank-scale precision to beyond the edge of the visible universe, but it becomes more and more imprecise as objects recede...

64bits fixed precision numbers give you a 16 billion km-wide map with a micrometer (bacteria-sized) precision for every object. If you tolerate millimeter-scale location, then you've got 16 thousand billion km to play (in all three dimensions). 32 bits would have given you 4 million km... with a meter-wide precision.

For reference, Neptune, the furthest "real" planet orbits around 4.5 billion km from the sun (so you need a 9 billion-km map). If you want to include all planetoids, including Eris, you need 32 billion km map, so you cannot locate precisely a bacteria on Eris, but you can probably locate most cells in a human body correctly there.

If you move to 64 bits floating points instead of fixed point, you "lose" 65536 in precision. Your 32 billion km map for all of the solar system is only under a meter in precision.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
COME ON MAN, DO THE MATH! 64 bit **ALWAYS** wins

rrr_img_113763.jpg

(Yes I bought one of these lol.... Oh how sad 99% of the games were)
((Except Aliens Vs Predator :p)
I have a fondness for the Jaguar personally.

There are some pretty good homebrew games out there created since the fall of Atari.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This might be old news to everyone but I just learned about it.

Star Citizen has a pretty sweet community driven bug tracking system:
Issue Council

The community can claim to reproduce / not reproduce the issue and ostensibly this will bring issues to the forefront.

I can see this backfiring though, when some issue that won't go away gets a million upvotes and people get all 14 days over it. Or when casualfags and CODbros start infiltrating SC and making tickets like, "AURORIA IS UFCKING BULLSHIT"

Or you'll have a lot of super generic tickets like this:
Issue Council

Which will be true until the end of time, especially in a game like Star Citizen.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Was thinking about SC a bit over the weekend when I played Rebel Galaxy. Part of the thing that made Freelancer fun to me was the accessibility and I feel like RG has the same sort of "let's just blow some shit up" feelings. However every time I try SC out and I'm looking at the absurdly detailed HUD, juggling black/red outs, screwing with trim settings and similar... I just don't know if SC is going to match that. Maybe arcade mode?

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
SC is really simple right now, I don't understand the complaint.
Fired up my SC/AC for the first time in a year, and yeah its pretty simple actually. I was suprised...

Main complaints;

Fuck the black/red outs. What the hell are they about? It cant be heavy G turning, because they are not consistent in any way shape or form. Full burn 360? No problemo! Turn around an asteroid at 20% speed? BLACK OUT BWHAHAHAHAH!

Is the mouse control made by shaking Steven? I did not fancy reprograming a profile for my HOTAS so I ran with the mouse and dear god it was horrible. It over compensates and is jumpy however I try to configurate it.