Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Screenshotted>
The truly idiotic thing of crowdfunding games is that the company is asking you to spend hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars, and your only ROI is an in game trinket or autographed poster. Imagine if that's how Wall Street worked. "Buy our stock! No, you don't get to make any money off of your investment, but we will send you a Christmas card!"

Uh, rarely. Crowdfunding is an ingenious way for independent developers to create all sorts of shit.

This is an outlier. Crowdfunded projects typically end up, for the vast majority of consumers, to be a pre-paid product that probably wouldn't have been created without crowdfunding. Most consumers who are crowdfunding consider it to be a solid use of their money, with a little risk (with proper common sense and vetting), and the majority of "pledges" are for actual products. For instance, my own pledge to this silly game was for $30 for a digital copy of the game, that by all accounts is playable right now, but may or may not reach finality.

That said, there are certainly out-right scams on crowdfunding sites, as well as basically the entirety of things like Patreon. But that's what the common sense and vetting is for. Personally, I'd say the good that's come from crowdfunding being a thing vastly outweighs the slight increase in avenues for scammers. This particular anomaly certainly seems to have jumped partially on the scam bandwagon, although my own theory is they fully intend to create a product, and are falling prey to the feature bloat and other such stuff that comes along with insane levels of production financing.

Oh, and yes, paying thousands of dollars for a digital ship in a game that may or may not reach final production is stupid, I agree on that. But you over-generalized your statement for sure. And the stock investment analogy is fallacious, it's more akin to a pre-order, premium or otherwise.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
More akin to a preorder? The fuck? I can preorder a game right now at GameStop for $5, and finish paying for the game when it comes in. When you're spending a few hundred dollars for a game that will retail for $50 or so, how is that similar to preordering? The stock analogy is spot on, because when a company wants you to buy stock in their company, you have a chance a getting a very good return on your investment, along with paying dividends. If these companies really want the players to fund their games, then they should offer some kind of profit sharing. Right now it's "help us raise millions of dollars to make our game, to make us rich! Your reward is you get to spend ten times the purchase price for the game!"

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Not to defend this shitpile but complaining about lack of crowdfunded VC is silly because it was literally illegal until like earlier this year.

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
This is an outlier.

The Star Citizen crowdfunding data does not make any sense. I believe they are not telling the whole story and that either some of that funding is just equity from investors or they have added few zeros. I mean had they raised $5m it would have put SC in one of the most successful crowdfunding campaigns ever (and all the others had massive social media presence while SC had little in comparison). And of course they use their own platform for fundraising so there is no way to get 3rd party validation on those numbers.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Given everything we know, I'm sure some of that total is equity from Amazon but there's definitely a shitload of people who own super expensive ships, there's whole subreddits for buying and selling them.

Blackwulf

N00b
Im not that impressed by the first person shooter they implemented. Maybe I should play it more? It just feels bland.
I feel the same. Hopefully they continue to iterate on it. Personally, I'm not a big fan of that type of game, so I only see Star Marine as a test bed for how fps mechanics will work in the persistent universe.

Last edited:

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
INB4 You can become a regional SCO franchise ship dealer. You'll be able to make as much as $10Ks per month working from home in your spare time recruiting your friends and family to sell RSI ships to their friends and family. For a small initial fee you can set up your own sales network, and RSI will give you the tools for success and the potential to unlock unlimited financial freedom. If you sign-up now you will receive exclusive one on one MLM sales Webinars taught personally by Chris Roberts or some other guy if he's busy golfing or driving speedboats.. They keys to your future financial freedom forever are just a short hyper jump away. Paypal and Bitcoin accepted.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
The words that 141 million dollars and 6 years development get you:

Happy New Year!

There are many exciting things in store for Star Citizen this year. We'll continue to modify and improve our game engine to better suit Star Citizen's unique needs. Gameplay will get deeper as new systems come online to provide players the chance to do more than pew-pew. I also expect exciting advancements as we integrate our revolutionary tech, like subsumption and procedural planets, into the game. On the Community front, we’ll be releasing Spectrum, our new and improved community platform, and revamping our current shows and adding new ones in an effort to best communicate with all of you.

This week Star Citizen devs got back to work after some much deserved time off. Presently the Production Team is huddled with the different team leads updating and detailing out the tasks we have for this year. You’ll begin to see some of these details once we've had the opportunity to refine the Star Citizen and Squadron 42 schedules.

We were happy to see positive feedback from the Alpha 2.6 release and impressed by the number of stunning videos and images being created with the new camera controls. We have been digesting both our own and your thoughts on Alpha 2.6 now that it has been live for two weeks. We are planning releasing an incremental patch, 2.6.1 with some of the features that slipped out of 2.6, bug fixes for increased stability (although 2.6 was possibly our most stable patch to date) as well as continued balance and gameplay tweaks. Expect to hear more details on timing in the next couple of weeks.

2016 was a noteworthy year in Star Citizen’s development. 2017 with Squadron 42 and Alpha 3.0 is looking to be even better.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
So basically, this won't even get out of Alpha in 2017. Better break out the checkbooks, Star Citizens to make sure it reaches 2018!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
After seeing the RSI business model, Curt Schilling must be just kicking himself so hard and crying himself to sleep nightly.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Someone needs to sit Roberts down and explain to him what the words "scope creep" mean.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
The truly idiotic thing of crowdfunding games is that the company is asking you to spend hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars, and your only ROI is an in game trinket or autographed poster. Imagine if that's how Wall Street worked. "Buy our stock! No, you don't get to make any money off of your investment, but we will send you a Christmas card!"

This is how I feel and won't do it anymore.

Entropia Universe guys crowdfund with their players. It can be hit or miss though, but I invested $7500 there for fun, and it's been paying a consistent 7-12% return over the last two years.. And the crowdfunding there are basically tradeable shares of stock based on "taxes" from what you kill/mine/earn on lands and thusfar, at least, they have consistently gone up or kept their value.

That's a much better model IMO, but with a lot of inherent risk too.

b2fb424867b61dcf7982ca6fbf587636.png

This is 1,103 shared/deeds of the arkadia underground planet. My original cost per deed was $5 USD or 50 PED (10 PED = 1 USD). (Edit, lol, I said 50 USD not 5)

They are currently paying me 0.01 - 0.02 PED per day per deed, or $1.103 or $2.206 per day. The current value of AUDs are about 65 PED each.

So initial investment into AUDs was around US$5,500. Current value US$7,169, and since my last transfer several months ago, I've earned US$316.07 interest (or whatever you want to call it).

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Variise

N00b
So basically, this won't even get out of Alpha in 2017. Better break out the checkbooks, Star Citizens to make sure it reaches 2018!

I promised to stay away but I just had to say something because this statement sums up my frustration with this community.

You come to this conclusion now? I have been repeating this every single time it came up as a major point of contention since 2015. I was also the only one who called their year end release correctly as most likely topping out at 2.6 as everything else was unreasonable.

You people have a problem with me personally so its easy to throw the baby out with the bathwater. How many more times do I have to be right before more than one or two people takes me seriously. Hey lets keep score in this thread on how many things you people get right vs me and see how we end up in the end no matter how good or bad it gets. Let me know if you want to have a go. I got spare pick axes and a fresh salt mine ready to go.

• 3Salty
  • 1Like

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lol just stop with the "I am going to go away or stop posting" nonsense, you have said it like 10 times and never done it yet. Just admit you can't very well ignore your job and be done with it.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Salty

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
No one cares about your or your opinion enough to shed a tear if you dropped off this forum, shill.

Tuco would be like "I value his contribution" or some trite shit. a_skeleton_03 would be like "Well its nice to have his point of view" and then that would be the end of it.

You are irrelevant. This game is a fucking disaster. No amount of long winded typing is going to fix or change any of that. The proof will be in the pudding when it is released sometime in 2077.

• 2Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users