Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Apologies for the off topic question. Can anyone here recommend a fairly recent game that is basically Freelancer 2.0? I have Elite, that isn't it.

I, too, would like one of these. The closest thing recently I can remember was a decent steam game with all capital ships and space pirates, can't think of the name off my head. Had some ex Blizz developer or something? Was decent but I got bored eventually with it.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
The funny thing with this game is if it ever releases, and it turns out to be fun, I'll happily plunk down my money for it. I don't see it happening, but I would love to be wrong. Privateer and Freelancer were some of my favorite games back in the day. The Wing Commander stuff was awesome too.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The funny thing with this game is if it ever releases, and it turns out to be fun, I'll play it. I don't see it happening, but I would love to be wrong. Privateer and Freelancer were some of my favorite games back in the day. The Wing Commander stuff was awesome too initially until WC3 shit the bed.

This game is nothing like Freelancer. It's hot sim garbage.

• 2Solidarity

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Never understood the love for Freelancer. The combat felt very arcade like. I wish someone would do a Freespace clone instead. The capital ships in that game were fantastic. Dogfighting while they fired away at each other with giant beams and flaks and anti-AAs shredding you apart was so much fun.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Freespace 2, yes please. Those giant laser beam fights between capital ship are freaking badass.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Never understood the love for Freelancer. The combat felt very arcade like. I wish someone would do a Freespace clone instead. The capital ships in that game were fantastic. Dogfighting while they fired away at each other with giant beams and flaks and anti-AAs shredding you apart was so much fun.

In theory the X:Rebirth games should fill the void, but they so badly need to hire a senior game designer at that company to actually design a game and also to rein in all pointlessly complex and therefore buggy engineer wankery it hurts my soul.

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I downloaded the latest version on their website (2.6.3) and played it a bit. Average buggy techdemo is probably closest to what i would say about it. Its more or less a year old now, no real development in between (that you can play). And yes, running around for 5 minutes before you can enter a ship is horrible shit. I hope you can do everything (buy/sell stuff/upgrade ship/repair/etc) from inside your ship once this releases or i wont be playing it...

Alpha 3.0 should come late summer? Lets see what they deliver then... I fucking hope its not just updated 2.6.3 with their new hype project full planetary interaction. I want a space game, not some game where i run/drive around hundreds of live-sized planets and moons for endless hours because of "reasons".

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I've put down my 50-60 dollars early on, I don't really regret it because I played it enough to get my money's worth, and if they ever release it, I'll play because why not.

I haven't really logged in, in maybe 2 years now, totally lost interest in the game.

The game, if we can call it that, looks tedious, everything seems to take too much time.

In an attempt to make a realistic simulation, they seem to totally have forgotten that games should be fun. At this point it wouldn't surprise me if they added a bathroom simulation where you need to go take a piss and shit during you game session. Also introduce asleep simulator where your character needs to sleep 6-8 hours a day, and you can't do anything while he sleeps. You try to log in, and get a message "Sorry your character is sleeping, try logging back in 2 hours and 37 minutes." and then you're kicked back to the log in screen. :)

It's disappointing, the initial pitch was great, the first version of the flight game showed a lot of promises and was fun for what it was...then everything snowballed in feature creep, changing all the game system, engine etc. and almost no progress was made to the core of the game that got everyone excited in the first place...the space flight aspect of it.

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
Apologies for the off topic question. Can anyone here recommend a fairly recent game that is basically Freelancer 2.0? I have Elite, that isn't it.

Starpoint Gemini 2 with it's expansions (Titans in particular). Closet thing to Freelancer by far and I can't recommend it highly enough.

I also bought Starpoint Gemini Warlords in the past summer Steam sale, but have yet to play it.

Palum

what Suineg set it to

Freelancer was like 4x-lite + rpg-lite + sim-lite. The space combat was a main driver but not the only thing that gave space travel meaning.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
The funny thing with this game is if it ever releases, and it turns out to be fun, I'll happily plunk down my money for it. I don't see it happening, but I would love to be wrong.

This may be the first time ever I see a post of yours that isn't positive about the industry or a specific company.

Amazing, if they can't even convince you, its a lost cause for sure.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
The game, if we can call it that, looks tedious, everything seems to take too much time.
Yeah I used to be in the camp of playing it no matter what if it comes out but the more I see the more I feel like I wouldn't like it at all due to how tedious everything is for the sake of "realism".

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
All I wanted was a Freespace 2 type game with some persistent elements to play with friends and co-op missions against capital ships and stuff. I wanted to like this game but everything I have tried is tedious as fuck. I want to take every single muh immersion faggot and shove them out the airlock.

• 2Solidarity

Palum

what Suineg set it to
All I wanted was a Freespace 2 type game with some persistent elements to play with friends and co-op missions against capital ships and stuff. I wanted to like this game but everything I have tried is tedious as fuck. I want to take every single muh immersion faggot and shove them out the airlock.

That would take FOREVER, there's like a 45 second animation locking when you space someone.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users