Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Holy shit this game isn’t in a playable state yet?

When it was announced I was still railing molly every weekend and getting my back hair waxed on the regular.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Ponzi Scheme was a 100 years ago, now Chris Roberts is bringing us a modern scam to offer an alternative in the new, digital landscape of today!

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
For fucks sake retards.

• 1Mother of God

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
i've watched a few streamers on twitch and it looks pretty good though. i never signed up or anything but it looks gorgeous, and some streamers do ground drops, others are flying around having space battles. if it can tie it all together it should be awesome.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Holy shit this game isn’t in a playable state yet?

When it was announced I was still railing molly every weekend and getting my back hair waxed on the regular.
I don't know about playable, but it seems like in February 2019 they added the persistent universe, which to me was the minimum threshold to have a "playable game".

I've always thought that when they added a basic game that allowed you to play the game, earn wealth and spend that wealth on ships the game's funding would dry out as people would either realize they don't enjoy space combat sims as much as they thought they would or that they would rather earn ships ingame instead of spending 100s of dollars on it. I don't know how close we are to that point.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't know about playable, but it seems like in February 2019 they added the persistent universe, which to me was the minimum threshold to have a "playable game".

I've always thought that when they added a basic game that allowed you to play the game, earn wealth and spend that wealth on ships the game's funding would dry out as people would either realize they don't enjoy space combat sims as much as they thought they would or that they would rather earn ships ingame instead of spending 100s of dollars on it. I don't know how close we are to that point.

Which would mean that launching the game is the end of their gravy train. Selling hopium is extremely lucrative. Not following this that closely but it would seem to me that they are going to milk the hopium train for as long as they can before pushing out V1.0.

And even after (if) it launches officially, the amount of butthurt from the losing side is going to be epic. By losing side I mean early backers vs new players, one of them is going to lose. Either the whales when they find out that new players can buy their thousand dollars ships with a couple of hours of playtime. Or new players who can't earn anything in game without playing for 10 years to earn the in game credits.

Just don't see this working out. Hope I'm wrong though.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
All of this is really quite amazing. Just think of all the people who've been gainfully employed for years now; in a no-pressure but well cappucino'd work environment. These 200+ million dollars are almost like a government-funded development program, but your tax dollars are not even spend on it!

• 5Worf
  • 1WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.

Oh they added the persistent universe alright, they just reboot it now and then because "Alpha" build. Unless you bought your star chariot for real money tho, they reset you and make you earn the ships over and over. It is a joke by now. Any one with any experience of game development will tell you the same. Oh and you cant summon every ship the have sold yet.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Oh they added the persistent universe alright, they just reboot it now and then because "Alpha" build. Unless you bought your star chariot for real money tho, they reset you and make you earn the ships over and over. It is a joke by now. Any one with any experience of game development will tell you the same. Oh and you cant summon every ship the have sold yet.
Haha. How long does it take to get to being pvp ready and how often do they reset?

• 1Like

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Haha. How long does it take to get to being pvp ready and how often do they reset?

Depends, if you "only" bought the game and starter package, 1 month or so of fetch quests.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The actual story. Pretty much sums it up. But we've heard it over and over.

Rough playable modes—alphas, not betas—are used to raise hopes and illustrate work being done. And Roberts has enticed gamers with a steady stream of hype, including promising a vast, playable universe with “100 star systems.” But most of the money is gone, and the game is still far from finished. At the end of 2017, for example, Roberts was down to just $14 million in the bank. He has since raised more money. Those 100 star systems? He has not completed a single one. So far he has two mostly finished planets, nine moons and an asteroid.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Wait ... wat ...

On a summer Saturday in 2007, a trespasser slipped by a security gate and entered Chris Roberts’ L.A. home. Inside, Madison Peterson, Roberts’ former common-law wife, with whom he had a long on-and-off relationship, was startled and feared her young daughter could be harmed or kidnapped. Peterson later identified the trespasser as Sandi Gardiner, who is now Roberts’ wife (for the second time) and a cofounder of Cloud Imperium. Roberts reported the incident to police, and a California judge issued a temporary restraining order that required Gardiner to stay 100 yards away from Peterson, who claimed in her temporary restraining order application that Gardiner had been stalking and threatening both her and her daughter for nearly three years.
“Ms. Gardiner has an unnatural and irrational fascination with my daughter and me,” Peterson wrote. “I constantly and continually look to make sure my daughter and I are not watched.”
In a court-filed declaration he signed at the time, Roberts said Gardiner had also visited Peterson’s San Diego home and once became violent and tried to strangle him. “I believed that if she had a gun she would have killed me,” Roberts said in the declaration. “I believe that Ms. Gardiner is not emotionally stable.”

• 1Worf