Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That was actually pretty damn good. The NPC animation was well done around the mouth and eyes. The character movements were pretty fluid. If the game looks like that when it comes out in 2040 it might still be impressive.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
That was actually pretty damn good. The NPC animation was well done around the mouth and eyes. The character movements were pretty fluid. If the game looks like that when it comes out in 2040 it might still be impressive.

The interesting thing is it innately supports face tracker type stuff so you can do video chat stuff and the characters face moves when yours does. When its working it is pretty neat and a number of streamers make pretty good use of it. It gets bugged out or locks and then its just weirdly hilarious.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yes exactly its actually pretty neat to see it in game but it can get both hilarious and horrifying if/when it bugs out. Pretty weird to have somebody in discord chatting to you with their characters face moving basically in time it is more immersive than I would have thought.

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Next on American Greed.

It was supposed to be the greatest video game every created. But after 15 years and hundreds of millions of dollars it all went up in smoke. Now tens of thousands of investors are looking for answers.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Yes exactly its actually pretty neat to see it in game but it can get both hilarious and horrifying if/when it bugs out. Pretty weird to have somebody in discord chatting to you with their characters face moving basically in time it is more immersive than I would have thought.
That's basically the promise of 3D immersive gaming.

Which will not be Star Citizen.

Probably?

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
The interesting thing is it innately supports face tracker type stuff so you can do video chat stuff and the characters face moves when yours does. When its working it is pretty neat and a number of streamers make pretty good use of it. It gets bugged out or locks and then its just weirdly hilarious.
Furries love that shit. Dare ya to put furry facerig into youtube.

And those facial animations looked like shit. I say this as a purveyor of shit animations.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Furries love that shit. Dare ya to put furry facerig into youtube.

And those facial animations looked like shit. I say this as a purveyor of shit animations.
Its still pretty flaky. I have seen on some streams where it works pretty reasonably well in patches but in other patches you get the crazy eye thing where the eyes default to being too wide open or mouth semi locking into weird/hilarious grimaces. Stuff like this will be neat when a game company can get this functioning smoothly and consistently but that day is not today. Given though how a lot of CGI films are doing face mapping I assume the tech for doing this REALLY well is going to be trickling down probably sooner than we expect.

Star citizen throwing it in there in the fashion it is in there still is pretty neat even as rough and weird as it can be.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Its still pretty flaky. I have seen on some streams where it works pretty reasonably well in patches but in other patches you get the crazy eye thing where the eyes default to being too wide open or mouth semi locking into weird/hilarious grimaces. Stuff like this will be neat when a game company can get this functioning smoothly and consistently but that day is not today. Given though how a lot of CGI films are doing face mapping I assume the tech for doing this REALLY well is going to be trickling down probably sooner than we expect.

Star citizen throwing it in there in the fashion it is in there still is pretty neat even as rough and weird as it can be.
Core problem with that tech is there just any games I'd want my computer to spend processing cycles on to add facial expressions to my words.

Shit, I don't even want my VOIP to ever be associated with a game because the game will never do it more cleanly than whatever VOIP I'm using (discord today, who knows tomorrow) and VOIP serves as a backup comms method for the game itself.

It's just stupid feature creep making a feature that players don't want.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Just Star Citizen things...

Did they spend money making a cinematic for a patch to an unreleased game?
...for a DLC?
...for a Space Lesbian animated TV show?

Who knew people where willing to dump so much money into a comedy.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Given though how a lot of CGI films are doing face mapping I assume the tech for doing this REALLY well is going to be trickling down probably sooner than we expect.
Case in point: the epilogue of the Mandalorian.

(it's still rough, I admit)

Octave

Trakanon Raider
SOEmote was actually kinda cool.

They got experimental about interactions in a virtual world in a novel way.

It didn't make EQ2 a better game - it didn't solve the fundamental problems of EQ2. But I'm glad that they took a stab at something new here.

I'd like to see more experimentation here by other companies but we can see that communities around existing virtual worlds really doesn't.

The future will then be made in places where there is a more receptive audience - probably younger people.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
One upside of working on tech like this for games is in potential use for in game cutscenes. With the facial rigs already there it would be pretty easy to have actors do the face motions and when not done real time it would be easy to tweak any glitches or oddities. I am pretty sure this is exactly what the last few in game star citizen shorts have been doing.

gak

<Gold Donor>

Star Citizen Is Making ‘Tremendous Strides’, Says Chris Roberts; It Is However ‘Too Early’ to Talk of Squadron 42 Release Dates​

With 2020 winding down, Cloud Imperium Games Founder and CEO Chris Roberts posted a massive letter to update Star Citizen fans on what happened throughout this tormented year at the studio.

All in all, Roberts claimed that the game has had a successful year with the exception of the development setbacks suffered due to the work from home policies enforced by COVID-19. CIG delivered four Star Citizen updates, from Alpha 3.9 to Alpha 3.12, introducing plenty of new content and features.

Additionally, the game saw new player records, with gamers playing from 200 unique countries and territories around the world and from 56,340 unique cities play 26,576,364 hours of Star Citizen. Overall, more than 740,000 unique players played Star Citizen in 2020.

There's even a brand new roadmap in place, though it is not meant to give any estimates when it comes to the release of Squadron 42, the single player campaign of Star Citizen. In fact, Chris Roberts said the 'Briefing Room' show focused on providing the community with Squadron 42 updates will go on a 'hiatus' until the game is closer to release and there will be more to show.

The new Roadmap is not meant to give people an early estimate on when Squadron 42 will be completed. We made a conscious decision to only show the Squadron 42 work concurrently with the Star Citizen work over the Roadmap’s four-quarter window. This is because it is too early to discuss release or finish dates on Squadron 42.

As I said earlier this year, Squadron 42 will be done when it is done, and will not be released just to make a date, but instead only when all the technology and content is finished, the game is polished, and it plays great. I am not willing to compromise the development of a game I believe in with all my heart and soul, and I feel it would be a huge disservice to all the team members that have poured so much love and hard work into Squadron 42 if we rushed it out or cut corners to put it in the hands of everyone who is clamoring for it. Over the past few years, I’ve seen more than a few eagerly awaited titles release before they were bug free and fully polished. This holiday season is no exception. This is just another reminder to me of why I am so lucky to have such a supportive community, as well as a development model that is funded by people that care about the best game possible, and not about making their quarterly numbers or the big holiday shopping season.

[...] Because of this I have decided that it is best to not show Squadron 42 gameplay publicly, nor discuss any release date until we are closer to the home stretch and have high confidence in the remaining time needed to finish the game to the quality we want.

[...] This does not mean we will stop communicating our progress on Squadron 42. We will continue with our monthly reports for Squadron 42, and we will also share our current development progress in our New Roadmap.

Star Citizen Is Making 'Tremendous Strides', Says Chris Roberts; It Is However 'Too Early' to Talk of Squadron 42 Release Dates (wccftech.com)

sc.jpg