Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
When I first played Fortnite I was made fun of by literal children over comms as "no skin". Bullies I tell you!

I'm old, yo. I don't microtransact for in-game fashion.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Epeen is a real thing. That's why people buy mounts.
Its not Epeen. Epeen is what the raid mounts provide. That is showing off as a player capable of working within a guild to accomplish something individuals and many other groups cannot. That is Epeen. Epeen is showing off. It is not showing off if you ride a mount that cost $15.00 and anyone can buy it.

It might be Epeen if the mount sold for $1000.00. I will grant you that Star Citizen did that. Wow never went that route. In a way I am kind of surprised Wow never tried a super expensive mount but then again, they never did housing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Its not Epeen. Epeen is what the raid mounts provide. That is showing off as a player capable of working within a guild to accomplish something individuals and many other groups cannot. That is Epeen. Epeen is showing off. It is not showing off if you ride a mount that cost $15.00 and anyone can buy it.

It might be Epeen if the mount sold for $1000.00. I will grant you that Star Citizen did that. Wow never went that route. In a way I am kind of surprised Wow never tried a super expensive mount but then again, they never did housing.
I mean maybe.

What about casuals that will never get a raid mount, could never afford a $1k mount, and want a quick fix to their tiny epeen?

Cosmetics are the literal lifeblood of a lot of games. It's all epeen. Meaningless, digital, non existant, cool points that only costs a couple bucks. It is kind of sad, but it is what it is.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That was something I never quite understood.

In WoW a player could have hundreds of mounts. As a player, you can only use one mount at a time. WoW never created housing, so you could not show off mounts in that kind of arena. Another player would never see all of your mounts, no matter how many you had, unless you chose to ride the achievement mount. Every expansion or patch introduced new mounts that did the same thing that the old mounts did. Only very select mounts were even tradeable/saleable. Only a few mounts actually came with more benefits than just increased run speed.

So why buy mounts from the store? I could understand it if they added features or if they actually added a buff to the character. All they did was look different. Its like entering a new zone. It can look awesome but after a week of seeing the zone, it is just terrain. When a person buys a car, they actually get value out of it even if they have another one. WoW mounts were not tradeable once used, so they had no value. It always amazed me how much money Blizzard made on mounts but could not be bothered to put in a Housing system where they could have printed money( 1 Billion a year would not have been an exaggeration at thier peek population) selling Housing cosmetics.
One of the fun things I did in WoW was push and help my mount collector buddy to collect more mounts. This was before any MTX mounts, but it was fun for him just to collect them and be able to cycle through the super rare ones.

What's funny about the mount epeen game is I spent exactly zero effort collecting mounts for non-utilitarian purposes but always felt I could terminate a bunch of mount rarity contests by popping my original epic mount (Black Ram) that was only available for a few months and was pretty expensive to get at release so a lot of people prioritized other stuff and never got it, and other people traded it in (foolishly) for the more dramatic looking mounts.

77780.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
One of the fun things I did in WoW was push and help my mount collector buddy to collect more mounts. This was before any MTX mounts, but it was fun for him just to collect them and be able to cycle through the super rare ones.

What's funny about the mount epeen game is I spent exactly zero effort collecting mounts for non-utilitarian purposes but always felt I could terminate a bunch of mount rarity contests by popping my original epic mount (Black Ram) that was only available for a few months and was pretty expensive to get at release so a lot of people prioritized other stuff and never got it, and other people traded it in (foolishly) for the more dramatic looking mounts.

77780.jpg
What is really funny is that you could ride past 99.99% of the player base on that mount and nobody would have a clue to its rarity. A few would even think "Newb".

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don’t fucking understand, they raise $15M in November.

New ship go Vrooom (or cha-ching)... and breaks the record for 1 day income (28Nov2020)...

"The Perseus is available from $600 Warbond with LTI, $675 Store Credit with 10 years insurance"

It is a "sub-capital" ship, so...

2020-12-01 09.31.12 www.youtube.com 61e4b4eb7641.png

2020-12-01 09.34.20 www.youtube.com 432b11967ac2.png

I need to sell you a concept (am grill, send monies):

maxresdefault.jpg

• 1Mother of God

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
New ship go Vrooom (or cha-ching)... and breaks the record for 1 day income (28Nov2020)...

"The Perseus is available from $600 Warbond with LTI, $675 Store Credit with 10 years insurance"

It is a "sub-capital" ship, so...

View attachment 320792

View attachment 320793

I need to sell you a concept (am grill, send monies):

maxresdefault.jpg
Yeah I call shenanigans on all of that. I'm sure some autists have pieced together the number of active players in the game, and I bet that there are only a thousand that play every day with a bunch of people watching the game casually and jumping in every few patches to laugh and quit immediately.

I'd love to see a player run poll asking who has actually bought the RSI Perseus. I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the hundreds or lower.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Actually for me, its completely believable they are still raking in cash. Just researching the game and seeing how pretty it is and how amazing the systems sound, made me want to buy a ship just to be ready for the off chance it gets completed. And that's with me being an extreme jaded MMO vet who has seen enough pretty vapor ware to know this shit is probably going to go no where.

People who haven't been fucked by MMOs their whole life are going to get absolute fleeced just by how amazing the youtube content on this game is. (Seriously, I spent a couple hours listening to some E-architect doing fucking virtual ship reviews--and was entertained. This shit is like crack. Its promising literally everything I want in an MMO--if there was even a 10% chance I felt like this would get off the ground, I'd have bought in. Fortunately years of disappointment have left me a husk of negativity and largely immune to the hope of its potential :p.)

Precisely why I haven't given him a dollar, and I am old school. I spent $4k of my college money for a 486 that could run WC2 like fucking butter. I dreamed of a freelancer that was expansive, like GTA in space, but DEEPER. And that's just what he is promising, and just like a politician it sounds and is too good to ever be true. And I too jaded and old. I will buy it when and if it's a game, not before.

• 1Like

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
I dreamed of a freelancer that was expansive, like GTA in space, but DEEPER.
We almost got Privateer Online, and I guarantee that would've been at least 334 million times better than whatever SC ultimately becomes.

Anyone who remembers the Strike Commander fiasco nearly 30 years ago shouldn't be surprised at the state of Star Citizen; it was the point when Roberts' delusional Hollywood aspirations first took precedence over just making a fucking videogame.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
And then when he finally got to make his movie, we got Fred and Shaggy in space...

• 1Worf

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

77780.jpg

Black AQ mount>All. The epeen flex on that was massive, still remember crashing our server ringing that damn gong.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
So basically it's like buying those ridiculous microtransaction WoW mounts but WoW is never going to launch?
Its more than mounts here. The ships actually (Theoretically) work within functional systems. So a ship with a shower and toilet will keep your hygiene up, a ship with a galley can keep a crew's food/drink meter up. The size of your equipment matters so storage matters--and things are local so you need a ship to actually transport things (If you have a ton of money in one bank, its not in another sector--you have to risk transporting the credits).

Mining, mapping systems, getting data/tansporting it (For hacking and special missions), bounty hunting, cargo ect all require unique systems and certain ships are better/worse at it because they are kitted out for it. And its not just like, this ship has +1 mining...But there is an emphasis on physical design/space interaction. So a mining ship where you can have a lower bay view of the ground, and control a turreted mining laser is much better than a ship with a lser on the nose--even if both lasers are equal. But even things like ship layout and how you can handle boarding actions are important.

The systems go for realism and the ship design plays into that realism by actually allowing for more gameplay, rather than better numbers. It would be amazing if they could pull it off...but as said, most of this is stuff they want to do--not stuff that's there yet. And its so ambitious that after so many years, its easy to see their eyes are bigger than their stomach.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Black AQ mount>All. The epeen flex on that was massive, still remember crashing our server ringing that damn gong.
Yeah I don't know how you could beat the Black AQ mount. It represents a massive amount of coordinated effort from an entire focused into one individual who has, for whatever reason, been chosen for the honor of having that mount. In my guild's case the person was one of the star players and a key member of the guild's culture and raid force.

This totally shadows getting some dumbass trading card, getting lucky / blowing a bunch of DKP on a rare raid mount or whatever, or in my case just poop-socking the game at release.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just Star Citizen things...

Did they spend money making a cinematic for a patch to an unreleased game?
...for a DLC?
...for a Space Lesbian animated TV show?

• 1Barf

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>

...for a DLC?

All this time I thought straight white males were the primary demographic for nerdy space flight sim games. Man I was sooooo wrong.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
After watching that video I just invested another $500 into the game. If they can make something like that with the limited budget they have, imagine what they could do now that they are getting the resources they need.

usd84mVnsqW2iatGoBFziU.jpg

• 3Worf
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

...for a DLC?

Lmao I’d be so mad if I had any money in this game. Wonder how many million that cinematic cost the “investors”.