Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
For what they've raised so far, we can build space stations in real life o_O

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Have actually been looking into this again, completely blocked it out in 2015 (fucking lol). The game looks impressive as fuck. Its exactly the kind of game that you'd get if if you got a bunch of super nerds who wanted to make the ultimate MMO-SpaceSim-Survival game together. Literally every small, crazy detail these guys are going after--from needing to eat, locality playing a huge role. Its a god damn shame that it will never come together. Their goals are all over, they should be trimming features by this point and it just keeps expanding (Even just watching videos on the features being worked on, hah--systems within systems).

What IS fascinating though is this is a literal test of what a gaming company would be like if they actually had unlimited time and money, and didn't have a publisher breathing down their neck giving them deadlines. And it turns out? The publishers are kind of right--without their evil whip cracking on a developers back, these guys will revert to artist mode and endlessly imagining something even better lol.

Maybe though, if there is enough endless money this will launch in 2030 with Musk's brain interface and be the first Matrix-MMO.

• 1Weird Boner
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don’t fucking understand, they raise $15M in November.

I have to think at this point its just the same group of people buying every new package/ship etc. The intial funding was a ton of people, but that ship has to have sailed and now its the circle jerk group that just gives them money every month.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I have to think at this point its just the same group of people buying every new package/ship etc. The intial funding was a ton of people, but that ship has to have sailed and now its the circle jerk group that just gives them money every month.
I think it's all bullshit, it's privately funded and the current crowd source numbers are pretend to keep the farce afloat. I just don't buy that there are that many whales who haven't moved on and new players who are buying in.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
$15mil is only 375k people spending $40/month

Given the population number of decently employed 25-45 year old sci-fi soy boys out there, I do not find these figures unbelievable at all.

The fact that Star Trek Discovery is still on the air after 3 seasons proves my theory.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
$15mil is only 375k people spending $40/month

Given the population number of decently employed 25-45 year old sci-fi soy boys out there, I do not find these figures unbelievable at all.

The fact that Star Trek Discovery is still on the air after 3 seasons proves my theory.
I find those numbers totally unbelievable. I think it's a very small population.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I find those numbers totally unbelievable. I think it's a very small population.

Yeah if it were a brand new kickstarter that'd be believable, but 375k people donating $40 every month in perpetuity?

• 1Truth!

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Have actually been looking into this again, completely blocked it out in 2015 (fucking lol). The game looks impressive as fuck. Its exactly the kind of game that you'd get if if you got a bunch of super nerds who wanted to make the ultimate MMO-SpaceSim-Survival game together. Literally every small, crazy detail these guys are going after--from needing to eat, locality playing a huge role. Its a god damn shame that it will never come together. Their goals are all over, they should be trimming features by this point and it just keeps expanding (Even just watching videos on the features being worked on, hah--systems within systems).

What IS fascinating though is this is a literal test of what a gaming company would be like if they actually had unlimited time and money, and didn't have a publisher breathing down their neck giving them deadlines. And it turns out? The publishers are kind of right--without their evil whip cracking on a developers back, these guys will revert to artist mode and endlessly imagining something even better lol.

Maybe though, if there is enough endless money this will launch in 2030 with Musk's brain interface and be the first Matrix-MMO.
Yeah, it's wild the amount of money they're making by releasing a gam...I mean a bunch of ships!

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I got a friend in a 3rd world shithole that is really looking forward to this because it's his favorite type of game. Makes about 300 a month, and gives about 30 of it to the roberts scam. I've tried to talk him out of it for years. The world is a big place, and hope is pretty much a religion now adays.

• 1Moron
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I think it's all bullshit, it's privately funded and the current crowd source numbers are pretend to keep the farce afloat. I just don't buy that there are that many whales who haven't moved on and new players who are buying in.
Actually for me, its completely believable they are still raking in cash. Just researching the game and seeing how pretty it is and how amazing the systems sound, made me want to buy a ship just to be ready for the off chance it gets completed. And that's with me being an extreme jaded MMO vet who has seen enough pretty vapor ware to know this shit is probably going to go no where.

People who haven't been fucked by MMOs their whole life are going to get absolute fleeced just by how amazing the youtube content on this game is. (Seriously, I spent a couple hours listening to some E-architect doing fucking virtual ship reviews--and was entertained. This shit is like crack. Its promising literally everything I want in an MMO--if there was even a 10% chance I felt like this would get off the ground, I'd have bought in. Fortunately years of disappointment have left me a husk of negativity and largely immune to the hope of its potential :p.)

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
So basically it's like buying those ridiculous microtransaction WoW mounts but WoW is never going to launch?

• 1Truth!

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So basically it's like buying those ridiculous microtransaction WoW mounts but WoW is never going to launch?
That was something I never quite understood.

In WoW a player could have hundreds of mounts. As a player, you can only use one mount at a time. WoW never created housing, so you could not show off mounts in that kind of arena. Another player would never see all of your mounts, no matter how many you had, unless you chose to ride the achievement mount. Every expansion or patch introduced new mounts that did the same thing that the old mounts did. Only very select mounts were even tradeable/saleable. Only a few mounts actually came with more benefits than just increased run speed.

So why buy mounts from the store? I could understand it if they added features or if they actually added a buff to the character. All they did was look different. Its like entering a new zone. It can look awesome but after a week of seeing the zone, it is just terrain. When a person buys a car, they actually get value out of it even if they have another one. WoW mounts were not tradeable once used, so they had no value. It always amazed me how much money Blizzard made on mounts but could not be bothered to put in a Housing system where they could have printed money( 1 Billion a year would not have been an exaggeration at thier peek population) selling Housing cosmetics.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
That was something I never quite understood.

In WoW a player could have hundreds of mounts. As a player, you can only use one mount at a time. WoW never created housing, so you could not show off mounts in that kind of arena. Another player would never see all of your mounts, no matter how many you had, unless you chose to ride the achievement mount. Every expansion or patch introduced new mounts that did the same thing that the old mounts did. Only very select mounts were even tradeable/saleable. Only a few mounts actually came with more benefits than just increased run speed.

So why buy mounts from the store? I could understand it if they added features or if they actually added a buff to the character. All they did was look different. Its like entering a new zone. It can look awesome but after a week of seeing the zone, it is just terrain. When a person buys a car, they actually get value out of it even if they have another one. WoW mounts were not tradeable once used, so they had no value. It always amazed me how much money Blizzard made on mounts but could not be bothered to put in a Housing system where they could have printed money( 1 Billion a year would not have been an exaggeration at thier peek population) selling Housing cosmetics.
Epeen is a real thing. That's why people buy mounts.

• 1Solidarity