Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I never really followed this game much other than clowning going on in this tread, however, this popped up in my feed and I kinda want to try it.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That does look pretty good. There is some movement hitching but for the most part it looks nice.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I never really followed this game much other than clowning going on in this tread, however, this popped up in my feed and I kinda want to try it.

Looks like it's pretty fun. I bought a cheaper ship, think a cutlass many, many moons ago during the original Kickstarter. Have no idea what my account info even is. May have to sort it out and give it a spin

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I saw that too, gotta admit the move where one of them goes into the big ship and activate the auto-destruct and it blows everything up was awesome.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Is that Lawlman in that clip? Voice sounds like his (the guy outlining the score)

edit: watched later in video, it was

Last edited:

Del

Vyemm Raider

So this is the game that supposedly has almost nothing to show for itself? :trump: Yeah definitely money laundering and definitely comparable to Pantheon. JFC..

• 1Faggotry
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
So this is the game that supposedly has almost nothing to show for itself? :trump: Yeah definitely money laundering and definitely comparable to Pantheon. JFC..
If it just had those types of game play I'd really enjoy it.

All I want to do is bomb outposts now. I dont even care about the loot, just bomb the shit out of people.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I don’t think anyone seriously compares SC to pantheon. It has existed and been playable for like eight years now. It’s just a buggy pile of shit and has had half a billion pumped into it and is still nowhere near what they have promised. The sheer amount of money and time is what people have an issue with. It was supposed to be done a long time ago at a fraction of the $ they’ve pulled in. It’s a major case of scope creep.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Del

Vyemm Raider
I don’t think anyone seriously compares SC to pantheon. It has existed and been playable for like eight years now. It’s just a buggy pile of shit and has had half a billion pumped into it and is still nowhere near what they have promised. The sheer amount of money and time is what people have an issue with. It was supposed to be done a long time ago at a fraction of the $ they’ve pulled in. It’s a major case of scope creep.
Not sure why you're going to bat for Lumie, but he definitely did compare anyone who didn't completely go along with his conspiracy theory that this game is just a money laundering front to defending Pantheon and was saying the game was "barely" playable.

• 1Faggotry

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
For me, it's more about the time in development and the fact that's it's crowdsourced to the amount of 500M that I find mind-boggling.

Considering they are making 2 games, Star Citizen the mmo and Squadron 42 the single player game. 500M isn't out of the ordinary. A big budget single player cost 100-200M easy, Elden Ring is 200M cost as an example. A mmo around 300M also isn't that far fetched either, was Star Wars the Old Republic around that amount over 10 years ago.

It's really the crowdfunding that makes this feel horrible, especially considering that either games are far from release.

Unless they have tons of stuff in store waiting for their tech (server meshing) to be released, or keeping it in the back to have stuff to release slowly over time to keep interesting up. Asking where the money went is a very legitimate question at this point.

That said, Star Citizen looks amazing at times and can be fun.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Not sure why you're going to bat for Lumie, but he definitely did compare anyone who didn't completely go along with his conspiracy theory that this game is just a money laundering front to defending Pantheon and was saying the game was "barely" playable.
Well I was speaking for the majority of the people that make fun of this. I’m not going to bat for anyone like Lumi that thinks this is 100% money laundering because it is demonstrably not, due to having a product you can install and play.

It is hilariously over funded and under delivered though, and I could see people making a case that there is some money laundering happening, but claiming that’s all it is would be pretty dumb. Seeing the history of scrapping things over and over and buying $10k coffee makers…it’s easy to see their history of actually spending money on the product.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
It can have great ideas, great moments, and great graphics and story and still be a bad game.

Making truly great things is hard.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
For me, it's more about the time in development and the fact that's it's crowdsourced to the amount of 500M that I find mind-boggling.

Considering they are making 2 games, Star Citizen the mmo and Squadron 42 the single player game. 500M isn't out of the ordinary. A big budget single player cost 100-200M easy, Elden Ring is 200M cost as an example. A mmo around 300M also isn't that far fetched either, was Star Wars the Old Republic around that amount over 10 years ago.

It's really the crowdfunding that makes this feel horrible, especially considering that either games are far from release.

Unless they have tons of stuff in store waiting for their tech (server meshing) to be released, or keeping it in the back to have stuff to release slowly over time to keep interesting up. Asking where the money went is a very legitimate question at this point.

That said, Star Citizen looks amazing at times and can be fun.

SW:TOR was not 300mil and elden ring was not 200mil. Combined they are maybe 200, 250mil? at the highest end including marketing. leaving room for about, every other MMO every made to fit in the remaining 200-250mil budget?

And Yeah, it's 2 games now. fucking scope creep.

the F35 is a gigantic boondoogle clusterfuck of scope creep and missed milestones and I could buy almost 5 of them on what they've "spent" on this game.

Five F35B lightning IIs. Put that shit in perspective.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If they release a playable Squadron 42 game with that kind of realized gameplay I'd play it this month and consider my $45 "investment" I made 20 years ago or whatever a smart choice.

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
The SC devs looking at all the grift going on in Ukraine and wondering how to up their game:
image_2023-01-07_225356360.png

• 1Double Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
The SC devs looking at all the grift going on in Ukraine and wondering how to up their game:
View attachment 451922
Other defense contractors going to be green with envy when the US government starts buying virtual spaceships from RSI to send over there. Guessing there's a big overlap among SC backers and the #SlavaUkraini crowd who'd cheer their tax dollars being used toward this end.

• 2Worf
  • 2Moron
Reactions: 3 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Other defense contractors going to be green with envy when the US government starts buying virtual spaceships from RSI to send over there. Guessing there's a big overlap among SC backers and the #SlavaUkraini crowd who'd cheer their tax dollars being used toward this end.
Hunter Biden just received his honorary degree in game programing, so this time he can actually meet the qualifications for his no show job.

• 1Worf

Cybsled

You do realize most of those "aid packages"numbers are inflated, right? Have you ever actually looked at them?

Like %30-40 of the aid package is stuff actually going over there, but the majority of those numbers is the "value" of the original acquisition price of the stuff being sent over from many years ago. Even if the shit is from the 90s and has been in mothballs and we're paying millions for upkeep or millions to scrap them, the "value" in the aid package is what it cost in the 90s. Then the majority of the aid package is the US earmarking money to give to itself to make newer weapons for itself.

Basically, those packages are "We're giving them a Playstation 1, a $400 MSRP value!! We're also giving ourselves $1,000 to buy a Playstation 5"

• 1NPC