Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Vitality

HUSTLE
Because people will pay that price. That's how anything gets priced, usually.
Well you're not wrong but I'd like to know why people will pay that price. I mean does this ship have a significant return on investment?

Isn't this game mostly single player right now? I feel like I'm missing something.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Well you're not wrong but I'd like to know why people will pay that price. I mean does this ship have a significant return on investment?

Isn't this game mostly single player right now? I feel like I'm missing something.
The idea is that a players will have a huge jump on the field as to mining and selling the resources.

The SC player base I would assume is 35-45 ish with plenty of "entertainment" wealth to spend.
The ships they put up tend to sell out quickly, or sell in great amounts.

It can get addicting, as I know of a couple players personally over 10k in this game.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I got the free ship from buying my video card. Walked around the hangar for 10 minutes. It looked pretty cool. I can't fathom spending anything over 50'ish bucks on this, but hey...it ain't my money.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Can someone explain to me why they're valuating a single ship at $325? That doesn't seem very cool of them.
That shit is chump change. They've had ships going for$2500before. They sold out of them too. There seems to be some sort of resale market so people jump on the limited edition crap to resell at a markup.

Vitality

HUSTLE
That shit is chump change. They've had ships going for$2500before. They sold out of them too. There seems to be some sort of resale market so people jump on the limited edition crap to resell at a markup.
Resale makes sense, I can't think of any other reason to buy that stuff at that price unless the game had some kind of RMT component.

It's like making a car payment for a need for speed 17 ford taurus.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
To me it makes it worse because that says there are people out there, like Variise who's admitted to spending quite a bit, who are willing to pay even more than "MSRP" for what, right now, is effectively a few screenshots. Most of those large ships arn't even hanger ready yet so you don't even get to look at them in your pretty hanger module (They have a few different hangers you can buy too).

Vitality

HUSTLE
To me it makes it worse because that says there are people out there, like Variise who's admitted to spending quite a bit, who are willing to pay even more than "MSRP" for what, right now, is effectively a few screenshots. Most of those large ships arn't even hanger ready yet so you don't even get to look at them in your pretty hanger module (They have a few different hangers you can buy too).
Join a pvp server and get blown up by xSlayer19x in his $7500 2016 BMW Si Millenium Falcon with spinners on it's scanning array.

Uninstall the game. P2W Cash for Power.

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
People pay so people can dream.

Some ships that you can buy are already "hangar" ready and these people can look at them in their hangar and enter them and walk around in them. And *dream*. Some are even flyable, these are the smaller ships, racers and such. So more dreaming but now in a pretty cool cockpit, racing in a pretty cool environment.

I mean, it all looks *so* good that it enables to dream, and think up your own epic journey around all the shiny machines in your hangar. The few snippets of the Persistant Universe that they have shown just enhances this: again, it all looks so good, that you can just feel yourself be this bad ass pilot that just returned from the Beyond with some shady cargo and is now looking for a good price in one of the awesome looking locales on the planetside port that you landed in.

The awesome graphics and Chris Roberts PR machine is literally taking you into these scenes and makes you think you actually *can* be a Han Solo in Tatooine.

I mean, I look at a few screenshots of the Mobiglass and it's better then my Iphone. I look at the latest screens of the Trade and Development Division and I want to be a trader in Star citizen.

trading.jpg

I think it is a fantastic ride already. For 40 dollars, but that's just my decision.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Lol at that article.

My enormous pet peeve is people referring to some obtuse [fairness] point for any sort of pricing as if its some objective fact; when in reality [fairness] = [somewhere around what I want to pay for it]. No one wants to write: ("I'm sad because I can't afford [thing] and other people evidently can.") so they dress it up as if they're some Avatar of Morality out to fight for the disenfranchised.

Do other hobbies have these same douchebags as well? Do people go onto photography forums and bitch about the price point for nice lenses?

EDIT: For the record, I am no where near fiscally well-off enough to justify spending $2500 on a video game spaceship -- but how fucking pathetic would I have to be to try and act like other men who are shouldn't be able to?

Blackwulf

N00b
Join a pvp server and get blown up by xSlayer19x in his $7500 2016 BMW Si Millenium Falcon with spinners on it's scanning array.

Uninstall the game. P2W Cash for Power.
You aren't paying for anything someone couldn't earn through gameplay. You're just skipping some grinding, or in the case of the Orion, skipping some grinding so that you can grind on a grander scale. Hah. So yeah, there's some short term P2W going on, but what is the trade-off? You have a crowd funded game being developed with tons of fan input and lots, and I mean lots of community involvement and transparency.

After fanboying it up for ESO for the last couple years, it was mind-blowing to me to explore the videos and dev interactions taking place over at RSI. They treat their fans as though they are important, because they actually are as a source of funding. Matt Firor and his team at ESO were handed a massive budget from a private company and decided that, "Fuck you, everything's our decision, and our decisions are mostly secret," was a good response to fan inquiries.

Considering the regular progress RSI is showing, I'm thinking tossing some money their way for a little jump start in the game is pretty OK.

Vitality

HUSTLE
If the ships are obtainable through ingame work and aren't cash exclusive then that explains the valuation on the convenience.

It's not P2W at that point.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Can someone explain to me why they're valuating a single ship at $325? That doesn't seem very cool of them.
Because SC has effectively monetized the desire for an epic space combat flight sim + MMO. I think most people aren't even thinking competitively when they drop $1k on the game. They're not thinking, "Oh many if I drop this much I can be the best pewpewpilot and get an edge on everyone else in the early game rush.". They want the game of their dreams so badly and the closest thing they can do to play it is to buy these spaceships and jerk off to them in the hangar.

Of course in 2 years once they realize the game isn't the game of their dreams they'll be heart broken and whiny.

Vitality

HUSTLE
High dollar valuations on this stuff is going to be met with an equal volume of noob tears if this game doesn't do well.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I think most people aren't even thinking competitively when they drop $1k on the game. They're not thinking, "Oh many if I drop this much I can be the best pewpewpilot and get an edge on everyone else in the early game rush.".
This reminded me of a semi-popular LOL streamer who was objectively quite bad. He bought a Diamond-tier (top 1 percentile) account and drove it into the ground. A week later he was playing against Bronze people again.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If the ships are obtainable through ingame work and aren't cash exclusive then that explains the valuation on the convenience.

It's not P2W at that point.
It depends on how much time it takes to get those ships. If that mining ship is BiS mining ship and it takes 10k hours of farming to get the funds for it, yes it's a p2w move to sell it for $$$. If that mining ship is an intermediate mining ship that you buy, then sell a couple weeks later to buy an even better mining ship, then it's not p2w and the people who paid $325 for it will probably feel dumb.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wow these guys have made so much money up front from selling not only virtual things but simply the promise of virtual things. It would be hilarious if they just got up with the money now and walked

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I'm at the point where I don't think there is any way for this game to live up to the hype. I bought in at the $65 package so I do have hope but they're trying to sell this game as everything including the kitchen sink. I just don't see them being able to live up to that expectation. I'm just hoping for 'good enough' at this point.

Vitality

HUSTLE
It depends on how much time it takes to get those ships. If that mining ship is BiS mining ship and it takes 10k hours of farming to get the funds for it, yes it's a p2w move to sell it for $$$. If that mining ship is an intermediate mining ship that you buy, then sell a couple weeks later to buy an even better mining ship, then it's not p2w and the people who paid $325 for it will probably feel dumb.
No way in hell are they making the high dollar ships mid-tier. So much b utthurt if they do.