Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This game went full retard for the P2W and lets sell hopium angle. I was really excited for the game but leary of putting money into it. Glad I skipped it. They sell ships for hundreds of dollars... fuck that. Watching the herd jump into the Jonestown messiah angle is funny though.

I am as much of a space fuking nerd as anyone but pissing that kind of money away for some pixels unseen and unplayed is bullshit. I'll wait for the 5 dollar sale. And no, I'm not broke, far from it. I have money because I don't throw it away.

But if anyone is doesn't care about their money then they are selling lifetime insurance again. Sale ends monday.

Nightmare

Golden Knight of the Realm
This game went full retard for the P2W and lets sell hopium angle. I was really excited for the game but leary of putting money into it. Glad I skipped it. They sell ships for hundreds of dollars... fuck that. Watching the herd jump into the Jonestown messiah angle is funny though.

I am as much of a space fuking nerd as anyone but pissing that kind of money away for some pixels unseen and unplayed is bullshit. I'll wait for the 5 dollar sale. And no, I'm not broke, far from it. I have money because I don't throw it away.

But if anyone is doesn't care about their money then they are selling lifetime insurance again. Sale ends monday.
Life Time Insurance isn't that big of a deal. It's exactly the same as the normal insurance. All the ships they are giving away for pledges are obtainable in-game and on top of that it's been said that your real cost is going to come from ship mods and not the actual hull. To give a good reference. The $275 pledge Rear Admiral package gets you alpha/beta/retail game and some other normal things you would expect plus a constilation jack-of-all trades type ship that would normally take around 60 hours to obtain.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Guild Wars 2 started out similar. "Everything is obtainable ingame, no worries". The question is though, what do they mean by that. Because lately every new armor or weapon skin they come up with is put in the gemstore. Now you can exchange your ingame gold for gems and get it that way but not only is the only way to do it, it involves an incredibly boring and awful grind.

What does "obtainable ingame" mean in terms of Star Citizen? Nobody knows, yet everyone says it's cool. Which is kinda odd, imagine the reactions if Blizzard would have given the players the option to just buy a Thunderfury for 250 bucks.

And no, I'm not shitting and hating on the game and should just leave the thread; I'm really worried the game will suffer for it if people let themselves be milked like that. When the only thing we've seen so far is a bunch of pretty screenshots.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
The thing I'm hoping for is that this game is really made out of a passion for it and without corporation/investor interest influencing the direction it takes. As long as all the money from this goes back into the game and the Ferrari fond for Mr Roberts I'm kinda fine with it. Beats financing 8 years of D3 dev time through my WoW sub only to have it turn out a turd, or 100 devs on Titan for 4 years before they go "nah, lol, lets cancel". Same for 150 mill TOR and countless other trainwrecks that probably sucked up more money for advertising then Star Citizen has received in donations so far.

Who knows what we'll end up with in two years, that's a long time for Chris Roberts to turn to the dark side. The amounts of money people throw at this is staggering though. I did read that the average backer is around $100 which is about the price of a collectors edition I guess, but with many people at the regular $30-60 the game would cost anyway that leaves alot of money coming from whales buying whole fleets.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

lol yep. I think no matter what Star Citizen is going to under-deliver for most of these $100+ backers. It's just like a new politician, they speak in ambiguous terms and people fill the gaps with their own hopes and dreams.

But if Star Citizen turns out to be a disaster and it comes out that the money was blown on bullshit or it was just a mismanaged pile of crap like KoA people will be FURIOUS and it'll probably set the kickstarter idea back a lot.

Iadien

Silver Knight of the Realm
Raised, $30,246,026
Backers, 310,952

Average of$97.27per person

Some people are spending thousands on ships.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Stuff like that really irritates me. I know people say "Hey, if they have the money to burn...", and I fully agree to that. If you have it, enjoy it. What irritates me is that I know that a lot of the time it isn't someone with tons of cash laying around. It is a person with a credit card, and no self control. People like that irritate the shit out of me.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Lol, if this is a good game, god bless them. I dropped $25 on the game sometime after the KS campaign. We'll see.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Did the same and then last week upgraded to "collectors edition" price level because I wanted a pirate camo (and ship), Yarr!

I hope it gives a better space sim vibe then EVE, especially since you have a person you can do boarding with and stuff, not just a ship. I did read you can basically get combat armor (with flamers!) and board derelict wrecks with genestealers, but that sounds too good to be true.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Stuff like that really irritates me. I know people say "Hey, if they have the money to burn...", and I fully agree to that. If you have it, enjoy it. What irritates me is that I know that a lot of the time it isn't someone with tons of cash laying around. It is a person with a credit card, and no self control. People like that irritate the shit out of me.
Hope you dont ever read about the auto industry.

Overall it is pretty insane how much people on spending on this game. I know a guy who has spent a few thousand on ships and stuff so far.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I just don't get the upside to it. You log in on day one of when you can start generating money and are a week ahead of everyone else in what amounts to a non-competitive single player game with some multiplayer instancing.

The early game is usually the most fun parts of new games, to bypass it seems self-defeating.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
I know it sounds weird , but isn't there a concern that the more money that gets added , the more added goals and features that come with the levels , it's no longer a well funded "niche" game but a halfway funded "large game."

Not sure how to put it , and maybe it's not a concern at all , but isn't there a tipping point where without a huge jump in funds it becomes too much for his crew without enough money to hire the size he really needs ?

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
They outsource alot of the stuff that doesnt need to be done in-house and adressed that concern (feature bloat) recently. The lastcouple of millions they pulled in throughout this week(lol?) is mostly going into diversifying the ship selection. They're now about 10 mill over the initial goal to be entirely self-founded without needing outside investment. Not being under the thumb of a big publisher is the thing that makes me like this project and had me upgrade from my initial "eh what's $30" pledge that I made a year ago just in case.

Raign

Golden Squire
Friend of mine is doing what I can only describe as 'betting big' on this game. He bought hissecondStarfarer today and has literally one of every ship they have put out (with the exception of the Idiris which went before he found out about the game). I am guilty of dropping more than my share of money on this one but he is up well over grand and probably closer to two. To each there own, he has the money so why not but I think he is over doing it on a game that may very well suck. I keep telling him to stop until we at least see if the dog fighting module sucks before he spends more, because this is a game that if the netcode fails, will tank tank horribly.. but no dice so far ..

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I know it sounds weird , but isn't there a concern that the more money that gets added , the more added goals and features that come with the levels , it's no longer a well funded "niche" game but a halfway funded "large game."

Not sure how to put it , and maybe it's not a concern at all , but isn't there a tipping point where without a huge jump in funds it becomes too much for his crew without enough money to hire the size he really needs ?
Yeah that's a big risk with this venture. The downside to not having a bean counter with his boot on the developer's neck is that they might just keep adding features until the shit is a bloated mess.

One thing they have going for it is they seem intent on releasing the content bit by bit which is a very smart move. I don't know what their full gameplan is but we'll know more after we see the dog fighting module. Of course, it's possible that once they add enough of the game in that you can earn ingame stuff people will play the game, earn what they want, get bored and move on like every other game out there. They have a nice cash cow now and all they need to do is manufacture hope, emails and trailers.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Yeah I didn't mean it in a hugely negative way as I wish them all the success , just seemed like there might be a danger point features continue to be added.

And also not knocking anyone who's given them cash , just puts in perspective the angst for giving SOE 100 for the EQL thing while that's the average here.