Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah the truth will out in the end on the is CiG toxic or not, Im not super concerned one way or the other. Every job is shit in some way. When I was working that survey job this summer some girl with a masters in archaeology quit after a week because "i fucking hate archaeology and never want to do it again". Its like bitch you got a masters in that shit youre SOL. Theres no way to know if what theyre doing will result in success or failure till the game drops or the company goes under.

Everything else btwn here and there is just drama llamas drama llamaing.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't trust any anon source anymore since it's become code for throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. I also don't trust people who still work for a company gushing over how great it is to work for them. I mean, what the fuck do you expect them to say?
Pretty much. Especially as he gave his name and position, of course he will say good things. Also I would put money on his bosses or the people in charge to get people to do this kind of thing on purpose and not some kind of random employee going "I think I will tell everyone today how great my job is and who I am".

While it could be true, his position or others like him , doesn't help at all and hurts him.

As for this project, is it wrong for a part of me to wish it crashes and burns, just to laugh at people who have thrown hundreds if not thousands of dollars at ships for "maybe-eventually-to-be-released-game"?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The best part of all this is the s a l t

d93b75476c.jpg

I hearby declare war - RSI Community Forums

The moderators shut down the thread, of course, but I think it's still funny.
What a rookie. Everyone knows you have to give at least 14 days.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Nope. Im 45 bucks or some shit in, and if it crashes and burns Im gonna /nelsonmuncelaugh like a motherfucker.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Pretty much. Especially as he gave his name and position, of course he will say good things. Also I would put money on his bosses or the people in charge to get people to do this kind of thing on purpose and not some kind of random employee going "I think I will tell everyone today how great my job is and who I am".

While it could be true, his position or others like him , doesn't help at all and hurts him.

As for this project, is it wrong for a part of me to wish it crashes and burns, just to laugh at people who have thrown hundreds if not thousands of dollars at ships for "maybe-eventually-to-be-released-game"?
It's not wrong. I personally would like to see millionaire crowd funding burned to the fucking ground. If this game crashes and burns you might just see that.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I don't want it to crash and burn because of wanting people who have put money in it to get screwed over. That's cruel.

Part of me wants it to succeed because I do like good games being created, even if I don't play them, and the concept of Star Citizen sounds like a good game.

But the realist in me knows that this game won't get made, or if it does, it will be a "$10 box."

And then a last part of me wants the game to crash and burn because of the consequences that will change Kickstarter and maybe even the MMO industry. Hopefully for the better. I think the MMO bubble (especially the MMORPG bubble) is going to burst soon, and it will be ultimately good for the MMO market in the long run, and I think that Star Citizen crashing could help accelerate that process.

The only outcome where I'd becompletelysatisfied is if Star Citizen crashed and all of the backers got refunds.

But that's not going to happen.

So it's like I'm just watching two trains flying towards each other in slow motion, hoping that at least one of the cars will make it out okay.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't want it to crash and burn because of wanting people who have put money in it to get screwed over. That's cruel.
I'm talking the ones who have put hundreds or thousands into this, on nothing more then a "Gamble". It would be no different then me laughing at the guy who drops 1k on a blackjack hand and loses.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
DS must just be laughing up a storm over all the shit flying everywhere. I can see him looking into a mirror and just laughing like Dr. Evil with his pinky to his mouth.

bayr_sl

shitlord
If an irrelevant nobody from a bygone age like Derek Smart can just come in and fuck shit up like this I don't see how Star Citizen will be able to ever face real scrutiny. I didn't even know Derek Smart was still alive until like a month ago and he's playing them like a fiddle

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Its not really Smart that's accomplishing anything.

Its a click bait hungry media who will reprint basically anything that draws views.

But I agree, SC throwing a hissy fit over some bad press isn't a great sign at all. Seems the pressure might be getting to Roberts. $90 million plus and a million person user base is on the line now. That's a pretty big boulder barrelling down the tunnel behind him if this shit falls apart.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
If an irrelevant nobody from a bygone age like Derek Smart can just come in and fuck shit up like this I don't see how Star Citizen will be able to ever face real scrutiny. I didn't even know Derek Smart was still alive until like a month ago and he's playing them like a fiddle

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I always wondered why major game publishers NDA everything and carefully control all the press that leaks out.

I think I understand why now.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Dude, they are still consumers not investors. The ones spending 20k to meet the devs and other bullshit are whales.

Move on already.
Yep, there's no indication that the intersection of monetary issues that further status clarification and regulation won't happen down the road:

Crowdfunding Project Creator Settles FTC Charges of Deception | Federal Trade Commission

SEC.gov | SEC Adopts Rules to Facilitate Smaller Companies' Access to Capital

http://www.forbes.com/sites/cameronk...rs-tax-audits/

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I always wondered why major game publishers NDA everything and carefully control all the press that leaks out.

I think I understand why now.
lol yea, there's a lot of shitty personalities and idiots in so many game devs, it's no wonder after more of this shit leaks out why companies are like "yea, no, let's not let anyone see what those alpha dev board responses were like..."

Variise

N00b
Yeah the truth will out in the end on the is CiG toxic or not, Im not super concerned one way or the other. Every job is shit in some way. When I was working that survey job this summer some girl with a masters in archaeology quit after a week because "i fucking hate archaeology and never want to do it again". Its like bitch you got a masters in that shit youre SOL. Theres no way to know if what theyre doing will result in success or failure till the game drops or the company goes under.

Everything else btwn here and there is just drama llamas drama llamaing.
This right here.

They give a lot of talented people a chance that are new to not only the gaming industry but also the entertainment industry. However not all of them like to work in these kinds of conditions. It's pretty hard. There is no way to truly know if you fit culturally or not until you actually work at a job. Plus the entertainment industry and gaming industry has massive turnover especially artists so it's not unusual to see them go in a re-org. Considering this it's interesting that some of their best liked and possibly most expensive artists work on stuff they weren't even asked to do. They just take on more work or upload some art to CIG they did on their own time/dime.

CIG has picked up a TON of talented people and EA and others have been, at least in Austin, poaching them. This caused a massive delay for the 64bit implementation because I kid you not for a while every single person they hired out of Austin to do that job was poached for like six months. The fuck?

One of the benefits of Austin is that it's a hotbed for game development apparently but that also means big competition with similar budgets to SC but with massively smaller scope on consoles and mobile. That means the bar is set way lower and the pay is higher if you get poached so they were SOL.

Enter Crytek shitting the bed. It's quite possible that what happened to Crytek literally saved SC and Chris' ass. A ton of backlogged work has been done by the German office in quick order and they just took over FPS. Staffed by experienced former Crytek guys and some of the top dogs that built the original engine. I bet that costs Chris a pretty penny but IMO it's worth it.

Anyway with 260+ people it would be shocking if at least 5-10% weren't happy.

Hell Chris admitted to giving one of his developers a hard time on the original Wing Commander knowing the guy had a bad temper but a good developer and as soon as he left the room the guy threw a fit. But he did the work and once the game was out and people played it he admitted to Chris he was right. I doubt he is right about everything. I don't believe in hero worship but you have to view things logically. Like Chris said he shipped about 4 complete games before DS's game ever shipped and unlike Chris' games DS's BC3000 didn't even work.

You can see the guys working there are working their ass off. Some of them non-stop for a couple of months which is pretty insane. Some of them are only now taking vacation if any but that's not for everyone. You have to love what you do. It can't be a job or a chore or it's way more difficult and you will burn out way faster. That will probably account for some people leaving too. Not to mention being in the spotlight and having your early concept work get shit on by thousands of people before you could ever turn it into a masterpiece. I know that would incense me depending on what work I did. You need very thick skin.

Anyway some takeaways I noticed reading everything and what I have known from before.