Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So is this game coming or not? I haven't followed the drama much recently.
Yes. It's very likely to come out. Their funding hasn't slowed down much, they have a playable game and they have no debt so if their funding stopped they could sell out without much attachment.
Ubl4tYb.jpg

imijj_sl

shitlord
So is this game coming or not? I haven't followed the drama much recently.
Yes, a "game" will definitely come out. It's going to be a massive disappointment to the cult that has sprung up around it, however. As amazing as it is, it looks like that Derek Smart guy has been pretty dead-on with regard to his criticism.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yes, a "game" will definitely come out. It's going to be a massive disappointment to the cult that has sprung up around it, however. As amazing as it is, it looks like that Derek Smart guy has been pretty dead-on with regard to his criticism.
Please list the criticism that Derek Smart has been dead-on about. His most important and dead-on criticism will do.

imijj_sl

shitlord
How about that Star Marine?
That's just another example. They have been doing this since they released "2.0" or whatever it was called. I don't even remember all of the ridiculous permutations at this point, but they continue to release small iterations of a nonviable game and call it something much bigger while simultaneously pretending that they promised way less than they did so as to gradually lower expectations among their cult. Just go back and read his blog leading up to when they unveiled the amazing update around November of last year, around the same time they tried to pretend they hadn't promised delivery by that date.

He also called all of these developer/producer exits a while ago, and people acted like he was crazy.

This game will never see the light of day in the the form it was pitched.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Wrong!

Two games will be coming out!

(Translation: They'll shit out a mediocre atbestsingle-player game with a bunch of bad mocap mission screens and then "reveal" they don't have the money to complete the multiplayer game because they didn't meet sales targets. So sorry, thanks for all the money)
You're missing the part where they're promising the games will be Triple A! Two AAA games?! HELL YEAH! And they're going to be so AAA they'll rock the double release strategy and be way more next gen than even Copernicus with Kingdoms of Amular as well as EQ with Landmark could have ever hoped to be. These are going to be the next generationest games ever!

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
OMG...Star Citizen is now a sextuple A game(s). How can anything compete with it, other games are only triple A at best. Now we have twice the A.

I need to give them more money now...like double what I gave already since they double the number of A.
smile.png

Blackwulf

N00b
DS was 100% right when he said Star Marine was canceled? Huh, I guess I can agree with that if it doesn't get released sometime soonish, say, oh, before persistent universe official release. I'd say they have a bit more time though.

Btw, the current alpha is really quite amazing; if you haven't flown around Crusader, you're missing out.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
is the 2.1 build or whatever on the live server yet? Cus I tried for a week straight playing on the 2.0 build and couldn't even get through the how to fly tutorial without the game crashing 68 fucking times per session. The game expects me to double download the fucking game, must have a live before you can have a ptu build, just for a version of the game that actually works, they are drastically overestimating my fanaticism and willingness to waste ssd space for this shit.

Blackwulf

N00b
is the 2.1 build or whatever on the live server yet? Cus I tried for a week straight playing on the 2.0 build and couldn't even get through the how to fly tutorial without the game crashing 68 fucking times per session. The game expects me to double download the fucking game, must have a live before you can have a ptu build, just for a version of the game that actually works, they are drastically overestimating my fanaticism and willingness to waste ssd space for this shit.
2.1 is on live, and I've played many hours with no crash. There are plenty of bugs, but no crashes for me. Don't bother with the tutorial, just go into the universe, wear a headset and let your mind be blown
smile.png

But seriously, if you need pointers just post questions here or in zone chat.

Some tips:
ctrl+f = back out of a menu or stop using something (opposite of "f")

F12 = bring up chat window

Alt+space bar = mouse cursor release

F11 = friend/party window

T while flying = cycle hostile targets

Insert = 3rd person view toggle

1 = draw pistol when out of armistice zone

When flying, hit "b" to start quantum drive mode - point cross hair at location and hit middle mouse to engage qdrive

Use "v" to change flight modes "pre" is slow and useful around structures to land, etc. "Scm" is space combat maneuvering mode. (Use this for dogfighting)

I'm sure I'll think of more things that weren't obvious at first for me, but just ask in chat if you need a hand. People are generally pretty cool.

Btw, use the elevator from your hanger to access crusader or arc corp. And don't forget you can always jump into a simulation from the hangar by hitting ESC.

Do avoid the basic flight training atm, though, I've heard it's quite buggy.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The tutorial broke in 2.0. It worked great before.

There's a free flight event this week starting now, anyone can log in and check out everything available in the current build.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That's just another example. They have been doing this since they released "2.0" or whatever it was called. I don't even remember all of the ridiculous permutations at this point, but they continue to release small iterations of a nonviable game and call it something much bigger while simultaneously pretending that they promised way less than they did so as to gradually lower expectations among their cult. Just go back and read his blog leading up to when they unveiled the amazing update around November of last year, around the same time they tried to pretend they hadn't promised delivery by that date.

He also called all of these developer/producer exits a while ago, and people acted like he was crazy.

This game will never see the light of day in the the form it was pitched.
Star Marine was delayed, but the mini PU (Crusader) came out way before expected. They could have spent resources trying to polish yet another generic FPS game with 2 unpolished maps, that no one would have played, or they could have used those resources to actually pile all the tech they've built so far into the core game engine. 'Star Marine' as a standalone game mode was always a dumb idea. I doubt they will bother to release it until they have weapons FPS that need balancing, because that's about the only real use of 'Star Marine' to the development process.

I do agree with Itz that there's something fucky with them splitting the game packages up.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Wrong!

Two games will be coming out!

(Translation: They'll shit out a mediocre atbestsingle-player game with a bunch of bad mocap mission screens and then "reveal" they don't have the money to complete the multiplayer game because they didn't meet sales targets. So sorry, thanks for all the money)
Oh good god the comments in that Reddit. There's more white knights there than a renaissance festival. Lol at all the excuses for everything as if the company has delivered anything at all yet.

"People complaining about the great deal they got, paying 45 each for to huge games is totally fair!" Birch, game ain't even in beta yet and they've been milking more people than Bernie Madoff for years now.