Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Right, and they just had a "con" and they didn't announce it then and showed the build on the CryEngine then?

How can you not be concerned with stuff like that happening?

They either lied about what engine they had running then or they showed something that isn't relevant any more.

It's just mind boggling some of the decisions made and people are just brushing them off as if they are no big deal.

This is a modernistic digital interpretation of a pyramid scheme, except the structure is made out of hype.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Variise

N00b
Congratulations. You just described mainstream AAA games like Star Wars Battlefront.

P.S. This board is the last place you should bring up that subject considering what old dear leader did here for WoW before it launched.

Variise

N00b
Well enough out of me. I'll see you peeps again when 3.0 drops. Hopefully I'll be too busy playing it to care. Until then...

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
oh lord who gave that that kid a thesaurus and vocabulary expansion for his ESL Rosetta Stone starter pack? I think RSI is spending all their money in India's school system on language lessons for their PR Sweat Shops.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
What SCO will teach the world:

• Kickstarters are just a scam
  • High G space combat is a bitch why the fuck don't we just have drones do it
  • Variise commits suicide after actually being one of the whales 6 figures deep into make believe video game space ships

Also lol at the concept of buying literal make believe video game space ships.

I mean it's a thing that doesn't exist yet in a digital medium so even if everything worked out it's not real. Jesus fuck

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Blackwulf

N00b
As you might guess, there is a lot of talk about this on the Star Citizen reddit page. Here's a little clarification from a dev:

Some reddit user(bron_101):

Before anyone panics, I think its worth pointing out that this is probably 99% about getting a cheap deal on AWS. Lumberyard is CryEngine. Specifically, its a fork of CryEngine from the same version that CIG branched StarEngine off (3.8 - may be a different minor patch level but they are both forks of 3.8). Considering how far StarEngine has deviated from base CryEngine, there is no way that they have taken much from lumberyard code other than maybe some AWS integration - you don't just rebase your code onto another fork with this much deviation without a huge amount of integration work (probably a year's worth).

What lumberyard does give you is a discount on AWS - and given CIGs size I suspect they have negotiated a further discount, maybe even some payment.

Maaaybe they have agreed to do some joint development work going forward too - but that would be difficult to do unless its basically Amazon taking CIGs code, the other way around would probably be very burdensome on CIG.

CIG Dev(JR_CIG):

Pretty close. StarEngine was based on CryEngine 3.7 (last big integration) with cherry picked changes from CryEngine 3.8 (mainly some Animation/Serialization fixes/improvements). The Lumberyard builds we used had the same CryEngine 3.7 base with the main changes on the Editor/Tools side. We heavily changed or have completely rewritten CPU/GPU side rendering, memory management, multithreading, entity/game object handling + added tons of engine features wich neither CryEngine nor Lumberyard have. Everything else is relatively easy to merge, thanks to the same code base + adding independent Lumberyard only features is straightforward too, especially with the help of Amazon developers. We are pretty good at handling the rest of the old CryEngine codebase, which CryEngine, Lumberyard and StarEngine have in common, ourselves ;)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
You guys are like s forum devoted to the Pontiac Aztec where you are discussing how it's really all of society that undervalued your perfect car and Pontiac was truly giving a gift to mankind if only the average person could have looked past their own hubris.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Blackwulf

N00b
You guys are like s forum devoted to the Pontiac Aztec where you are discussing how it's really all of society that undervalued your perfect car and Pontiac was truly giving a gift to mankind if only the average person could have looked past their own hubris.

I like how you avoid actually talking about content and just throw jabs at people still interested in this game. Cool - you think it's vaporware and a waste of money. You've said that. Only time will prove you right or wrong. If you aren't interested in talking about the actual facts and available alpha, why do you hang around here? To repeat, ad nauseam, your opinion that we're all retarded, the game is a scam, etc., etc.?

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I like how you avoid actually talking about content and just throw jabs at people still interested in this game. Cool - you think it's vaporware and a waste of money. You've said that. Only time will prove you right or wrong. If you aren't interested in talking about the actual facts and available alpha, why do you hang around here? To repeat, ad nauseam, your opinion that we're all retarded, the game is a scam, etc., etc.?

Wasn't the actual finished game supposed to launch in 2015? Now it's almost 2017, and this game is still more than a year away from being completed (if it's ever completed at all). S42 doesn't even look like it's going to come out, and their event last week was a fucking shit show. I mean, there is being delusional, and then there is being pants on head fucking retarded (you and Variise are the latter).

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
What is the deal with this game? Is it a released game?

My theory on the deal with this game:

Why release a mediocre proof of concept game when you're making far more money with crowd funded development.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Blackwulf

N00b
Wasn't the actual finished game supposed to launch in 2015? Now it's almost 2017, and this game is still more than a year away from being completed (if it's ever completed at all). S42 doesn't even look like it's going to come out, and their event last week was a fucking shit show. I mean, there is being delusional, and then there is being pants on head fucking retarded (you and Variise are the latter).
Bro, if you think you can make a 3A MMO with features never included in game before in less than 3 years, you're the retard.

Anyway, I'll be back after 3.0 drops, see if anybody here wants to discuss features or facts.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I checked my KS account, and apparently I backed this at the $30 level for the fuck of it. Jaw dropped when I saw this was funded back in 2012.

So my pledge level says I have access to the Alpha/Beta. I can get on and try this trainwreck? My email must be spam filtering updates or something because I never got any notification that I can remember. How do I go about getting my sweet, sweet alpha access?

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Bro, if you think you can make a 3A MMO with features never included in game before in less than 3 years, you're the retard.

Anyway, I'll be back after 3.0 drops, see if anybody here wants to discuss features or facts.

In October 2012, the developers of the game started a crowdfunding campaign on their own website using IgnitionDeck, a crowdfunding plugin for WordPress.[66][67] Just over a week into the campaign, they also started raising funds via a supplemental Kickstarter campaign.[68] Funding quickly surpassed initial target goals and subsequently additional stretch goals have been added to the funding campaign, most promising more or expanded content at release.[69][70] The initial end date of the funding campaign on the RSI website was later extended by 10 days to match the Kickstarter end date and enable additional funding.[71] On November 17, 2012, two days before campaign closure, the game achieved the record for highest crowdfunded game project with over US$4.2 million.[72] At initial pledge campaign end, the total pledge amount was above all goals initially set by Cloud Imperium Games and reached US$6.2 million.[67]

Found this information in less than five seconds. Now, go fuck yourself!

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They'll make a movie about this game some day. 12 Years a Backer.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
How to ditch a backer in 10 years
The Santa's nonperformance Clause
Ad Astra Per Kickstarter
3:10 to Beta
How the Test Was Won
Finding RICO
Frozen (Assets)