Star Trek: Discovery

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
First Contact is not without some problems but in relation to all of the Star Trek films it's firmly in the category of "Good."

It also has a wonderful little bit of subtlety hidden within it. First Contact is Q finally proving to Picard that he is not quite as advanced as he thinks he is. Watch Encounter at Farpoint and Q Who (the episode where Q introduces humanity to the Borg) and then watch First Contact.

Q was right. Q was always right.

can you elaborate?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
can you elaborate?

When Q first arrives he accuses humanity of being violent savages. PIcard claims that humanity has moved beyond its violent past and has become enlightened. While Picard would prevail in his first challenge at Farpoint station that trial never truly ends. Q would later introduce the Enterprise (and humanity) to the Borg to demonstrate that there were things we were not ready for. Picard was willing to tackle any challenge and what he got was an adversary that would best him in their first encounter and later defeat him utterly.

The woulds given to him by that same enemy would then drive him to gun down his own crew and take sadistic glee in the destruction of the Borg. Hell, he even snaps the neck of the Borg Queen after she has been rendered helpless.

Q was right. Humanity hasn't traveled as far from its roots as it believes itself to have.

I don't think I did a very good job of putting all this stuff together as I haven't watched Encounter at Farpoint and Q Who in years but go back and watch them some time and during the Picard Speeches remember that he will later machine gun down assimilated crew and command those that remain to engage in hand to hand combat with the Borg.

Siliconemelons

The chick sums that up in First Contact - it would have been better to put it directly in line with Q, I feel many would have hated Q showing up in this particular situation.

"You broke your little ship"

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
When Q first arrives he accuses humanity of being violent savages. PIcard claims that humanity has moved beyond its violent past and has become enlightened. While Picard would prevail in his first challenge at Farpoint station that trial never truly ends. Q would later introduce the Enterprise (and humanity) to the Borg to demonstrate that there were things we were not ready for. Picard was willing to tackle any challenge and what he got was an adversary that would best him in their first encounter and later defeat him utterly.

The woulds given to him by that same enemy would then drive him to gun down his own crew and take sadistic glee in the destruction of the Borg. Hell, he even snaps the neck of the Borg Queen after she has been rendered helpless.

Q was right. Humanity hasn't traveled as far from its roots as it believes itself to have.

I don't think I did a very good job of putting all this stuff together as I haven't watched Encounter at Farpoint and Q Who in years but go back and watch them some time and during the Picard Speeches remember that he will later machine gun down assimilated crew and command those that remain to engage in hand to hand combat with the Borg.

oh yeah i knew all of that. i thought you had some new insights that i missed

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

joz123

Potato del Grande
I would rather see a new Stargate series than this shit. The Orville looks more like Star Trek also.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Chris

Potato del Grande

Or Movie Picard and TV Picard are different characters and it's just bad movie scripts and good tv scripts.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
I don't think you're necessarily wrong, arb, but I do think there was a more subtle, nuanced, and powerful way to make that point without turning trek into an action movie.

Picard was the Ethics captain. It's not going to be a good fit when you throw Picard into a Kirk situation.

All Q really had to do (and I think he did it in the show) is fabricate an elaborate train dilemma (you have 2 choices. both kill someone) and force him to pick. Then you say "your ethics lead you into barbarism." the rebuttal and justification is "it is less barbaric than the alternative". And then Q just makes slow jerk off motions.

That's why I like Sisco best. He was both.

Also black jesus.

iannis

Musty Nester
I was thinking that Sisco was the most credible captain. But that's not it. All three of them are entirely credible.

Sisco is the most integrated. He feels the most like a real human being. He seems the most limited, and the most aware of his limitations.

Janeway was just shit. Which is too bad because Mulgrew seems like a pretty decent actress. What the fuck happened to her though? She went from wearing skinsuits and then 10 years later she's an old russian potato!

Qhue

Trump's Staff
TNG movies should just have never happened, at least not in the way they did. The story of Picard and Q bookended the entire series and really set it as a complete work.

The only way to do a TNG movie properly would have been to come at the fundamental premise in a different way.

Given that the TNG movies were in the same years as DS9 was doing the whole Dominion War but they should have headed straight into the moral premise of the Federation at War and how that compares to Qs assertion of barbarism. Instead they just stuck the Enterprise off far from the front lines and played it safe with an inexplicably challenging normal mission.

Siliconemelons

Generations was stupid - dumbwit could have bought a shuttle for all the stuff he had and just flown into the damn ribbon, also Kirk did not nee a send off, VI was a damn near perfect trek movie, and move in general.

IMO the fail was, they kept focusing on Data - when the heck did Data become THE MAN OF TNG?

Chris

Potato del Grande
Generations was stupid - dumbwit could have bought a shuttle for all the stuff he had and just flown into the damn ribbon, also Kirk did not nee a send off, VI was a damn near perfect trek movie, and move in general.

IMO the fail was, they kept focusing on Data - when the heck did Data become THE MAN OF TNG?

Because they gave the actors too much of a say in the movies and Roddenbury was dead. Data wanted bigger roles, Riker wanted to direct, LaForge wanted to lose the visor, Troi didn't want to act, Picard was all about off road driving - their wishes were all made to come true to keep them on board.

Now Patrick Stewart went onto bigger things but the rest are lucky to get a Big Bang Theory cameo, I think they could have eased off the favours...

I'm a big Redlettermedia fan though and just repeating their talking points. Watch the Plinkett reviews guys...

• 1Worf

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
I wanna see a new star trek on tv...
But I don't want the crash and burn version they seem to be heading for.
Why do I feel like this is going to be mass effect andromeda tv show..

• 2Worf

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I wanna see a new star trek on tv...
But I don't want the crash and burn version they seem to be heading for.
Why do I feel like this is going to be mass effect andromeda tv show..
I mean it's not going to be on TV so

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Ok guys this will turn it around for Discovery. Their gonna go where no Star Trek show has gone before(DS9) and give us real sophisticated storytelling!

New Star Trek series will abandon Gene Roddenberry’s cardinal rule

Star Trek: Estrogen

Like the trailer didn't already indicate there was going to be a lot of raised voices, terse tones, and tears rolling on the ship. No more we've superseded social problems. We're talking subversive behavior among crew, jealous exes, and hissy fits over who's getting the next promotion.

Even the aliens seem to be full of drama and birth control tainted tap water. Maybe a potential plotline will be one of them taking issue with the color of someones shirt because its a color that was used by an ancient super-dominant race and stands for subjugation. Mmm this some gud major network TV slop!

Let me know when this franchise is sold off and deal with a premium cable television network. STARZ, FX, anything. Fuck I'll settle for A&E. SYFY holler at me.

#NotMyStarTrek

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Oldbased

> Than U
I decided instead of paying a shit network for a shitty tv show to just have my DVR auto record TNG for free.
That was a few days ago and somehow it already has recorded 33 episodes.