Star Trek: Discovery

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Maybe a potential plotline will be one of them taking issue with the color of someones shirt because its a color that was used by an ancient super-dominant race and stands for subjugation. Mmm this some gud major network TV slop!

As long as the color is red...

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Star Trek: Estrogen

Like the trailer didn't already indicate there was going to be a lot of raised voices, terse tones, and tears rolling on the ship. No more we've superseded social problems. We're talking subversive behavior among crew, jealous exes, and hissy fits over who's getting the next promotion.

Even the aliens seem to be full of drama and birth control tainted tap water. Maybe a potential plotline will be one of them taking issue with the color of someones shirt because its a color that was used by an ancient super-dominant race and stands for subjugation. Mmm this some gud major network TV slop!

Let me know when this franchise is sold off and deal with a premium cable television network. STARZ, FX, anything. Fuck I'll settle for A&E. SYFY holler at me.

#NotMyStarTrek

not-like-this.gif

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Seems to be a large amount of women in this cast. I think the only way this works is to abandon Roddenberry's rule. Having that many women not be mean or cruel to each other would severly break my immersion. Good call imo.

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Seems to be a large amount of women in this cast. I think the only way this works is to abandon Roddenberry's rule. Having that many women not be mean or cruel to each other would severly break my immersion. Good call imo.

Isn't one of the women playing a tranny? You know to get the highest level of diversity? So at least xer shouldn't be so catty.

I have fears that they are trying shoehorn as much regressive ideology as they can into the star trek universe that it will completely ruin the IP.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
After CBS and Paramount went full retard on Axxanar I already promised to not invest in any new trek through paid avenues.

So I'll watch this, but I'll pirate the shit out of it. Fuck them.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
After CBS and Paramount went full retard on Axxanar I already promised to not invest in any new trek through paid avenues.

So I'll watch this, but I'll pirate the shit out of it. Fuck them.
Yeah the Axxanar thing really ticked me off. That plus this shit show means pass for me.

Siliconemelons

Axxanar had more respect for IP, cannon and the universe than Enterprise and Discovery have put together- it also most likely harmed the studio more than "protecting" their property did.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
The best thing they could do would be sell the IP to Disney, although I'd imagine it's too late for that since they got Star Wars.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
The best thing they could do would be sell the IP to Disney, although I'd imagine it's too late for that since they got Star Wars.

They'd still buy it in a heartbeat if presented the opportunity and it's something that I hope happens frequently.

• 1Like

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
I'd rather see the IP go to Netflix over Disney. I mean you can have a show like Stanger Things that can capture the look and feel of the 80s, how hard would it be to deck out a crew in post Undiscovered Country costumes and fill the gap to TNG?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I think you underestimate the budget needed to not have special effects in the level of Andromeda. (I mean I'm sure they could afford to produce seasons but they would never get those production rights without purchasing the IP)

Not saying it couldn't be done but I'd trust Disney with that over Netflix. Plus I've been happy with the Marvel/Star Wars stuff Disney has done so I'm fine with them having this IP too.

Plus Netflix could never afford to buy the Star Trek IP and CBS/Paramount would never let someone else make it while they own it because they are a shit hole company.

Last edited:

Goatface

netflix reportedly already paid more of the outside the usa rights than show is going to cost.

wonder how much trek is worth, don't see anything online, but heard it like 1/5 or less than of SW

they need to get beyond the current timeline, if they are going to abandon roddenberry's ideas, might as well blow up the federation and rebuild from the ground up.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
But again CBS/Paramount aren't going to let someone else make it so the pint is moot.

And Star Trek has earned Paramount north of $4Billion. Netflix doesn't have the kind of money needed to purchase it. No where close.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Disney got SW super cheep though. Paramount wouldn't give ST away like Lucas did. Reminds me of Mario Lopez when he was promoting his Candy Crush show, he said CC sold for more than Star Wars, so it's obviously more popular than SW. What a moron.

You're right though, they're not going to sell ST so it's just wishful thinking. But we can daydream can't we?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
They might sell if the offer was right, I just think Disney is the only company currently that could afford to make that offer is all.

spronk

FPS noob
The Discovery budget is reportedly $6-7m/episode, so figure a total of $80-90m for season 1. Netflix spent $120m on two seasons of the crown, $150m (i think) on one season of The Get Down, $100m+ per season of House of Cards, etc so them spending $60-100m for the rights to one season of a new Star Trek show for all overseas markets isn't that insane, especially since its probably going to drive a lot of new subs for the first year at least. Its a lot easier justifying "finally getting Netflix" if you wanna watch Star Trek and then all the other shows they have, than it is justifying getting CBS Access for ... Star Trek and the new Good Wife spinoff show.

Paramount is owned by Viacom (Comedy Central, MTV) and they actually tried to sell a 50% stake for $2b back in 2016, but they cancelled it six months later. Disney "only" paid $4b for Lucas so a $4-5b Paramount acquisition isn't out of the picture, I just don't see that much interest in them for now since they don't really need Star Trek in theme parks, toys, cartoon shows, etc since it would mostly just compete against their existing Star Wars plans. Its more likely a Chinese company would buy Paramount. Wanda (china) bought Legendary Pictures for $3.5b back in 2016.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Again, I'm not saying Netflix couldn't afford to make a season of the show, as per my clarifying that they would need to buy the IP as Paramount would never let someone else make Trek. That's what Netflix couldn't afford.

And Disney is in it for money, if money could be made they'd buy it reguardless of whatever other IPs they own.

• 1Picard

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Dare I say it but I would trust SYFY with the Star Trek IP. Wouldn't have said that several years ago but they turned that shit around.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users