Star Trek: Discovery

spronk

FPS noob
That wired article is especially weird given that the captain of the USS Discovery is Jason Isaacs, a white cis man. The ship shown in the trailers is the USS Shenzou, which presumably gets blown the fuck up. Captained by Michelle Yeoh, who probably dies. I think SJWs even have a term for that, when minority/gay characters are killed off right away on TV shows.

It would be hilarious if The Orville introduces a new LGBTQ char every week and kills them off, red shirt style

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
It would be hilarious if The Orville introduces a new LGBTQ char every week and kills them off, red shirt style

worf.png
worf.png
worf.png
worf.png
worf.png

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
How do you spend Westworld and Game of Thrones money, and still come up with straight ass.

These CGI effects studios are making a KILLING off these guys. I doubt Captain Ho Chink Minh is costing them anything. 10 million in knock-off big theater CGI per episode ya'll.

All special effects, no actual Star Trek-- JJ Abrams a producer credit? Anyone want to bet. Tell me now.

Bryan Fuller ... (co-creator) (15 episodes, 2017-2018)
Alex Kurtzman ... (created by) (15 episodes, 2017-2018)

Kurtzman is where you're getting the "New Trek" feel from, as JJ isn't associated or credited at all with anything relating to this series.

That wired article is especially weird given that the captain of the USS Discovery is Jason Isaacs, a white cis man. The ship shown in the trailers is the USS Shenzou, which presumably gets blown the fuck up. Captained by Michelle Yeoh, who probably dies. I think SJWs even have a term for that, when minority/gay characters are killed off right away on TV shows.

Michelle Yeoh is in all 15 episodes, so no, and not only the USS Shenzhou that gets blown up, also the USS Europa. This preview looks like it was pulled directly from the first, maybe 2 episodes, if it even reaches beyond the first episode.

Orville red-shirting SJW's sounds like one of the greatest ideas of the current decade. That show is going to be utter trash, but I'll watch it, because Seth MacFarlane.

That Wired article is a fucking Star Trek fluff piece. Ugh, I felt gross after reading that.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
apparently in the future the entire Earth interstellar fleet will be piloted by trannies, asians and women. Same people that still cant parallel park even 100 years after the automobile was invented even with parallel parking now being assisted with proximity sensors, rear view cameras, etc.

Look at it this way, at least we know by the time TNG comes around Starfleet deems the experiment a grand failure and puts men back in command. At least until Janeway manages to fuck everything up and Crusher is the captain of a gardening barge.

• 5Worf

joz123

Potato del Grande
Pretty sad when a Star Trek parody looks way better than the actual show. I would rather have goofy dialogue and action/adventure than all politics/sjw bullshit.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Goatface

I have seen random comments saying the changes to Klingons are not going to be explained as they are just
how they wanted them to look

• 5Worf

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I dont much care for these new Klingons. Why do they have to keep monkeying around with how they look anyway?

This CBS All-Access thing is about the dumbest thing ever. It would be one thing if it was only available via that method, but if its available on Netflix from all other parts of the world...

The Venn diagram of people who care deeply about Trek and people who have access to ways to get some form of pirated media is pretty much a circle.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
It's actually cannon that the Klingons looked different way back in the day than they do now.

Technically it was done because makeup had come a long way since TOS and when TNG came out they wanted to make them look more fearsome. They then eluded to at some point the Klingon empire began doing something genitally to their people to alter the way they looked. Worf is actually asked about it once and he answered "We don't talk about that with outsiders" ....or something along those lines.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
It's actually cannon that the Klingons looked different way back in the day than they do now.

Technically it was done because makeup had come a long way since TOS and when TNG came out they wanted to make them look more fearsome. They then eluded to at some point the Klingon empire began doing something genitally to their people to alter the way they looked. Worf is actually asked about it once and he answered "We don't talk about that with outsiders" ....or something along those lines.

There's a two or three episode arc in Enterprise that discusses this specifically, since the Klingons during that show also looked like TNG+ Klingons. Genetic manipulation caused them to lose their foreheads, and made them act weirdly (well, differently) in TOS.

This series is set 10 years before TOS, so their foreheads looking less pronounced makes a little sense, however the design is taken straight from the New Trek movies, and they're probably completely ignoring the canon related to their appearance. Sometimes you just gotta say fuck it, but I think we all agree in that the new Klingons look terribly fake. Like, almost as bad as blackface from TOS.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Probably because of the new timeline? I dunno. Whatever, Paramount and CBS suck so I hope they kill the IP and sell it off to someone who cares about it.

• 2Solidarity

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Probably because of the new timeline? I dunno. Whatever, Paramount and CBS suck so I hope they kill the IP and sell it off to someone who cares about it.

This series is set in the original timeline, not the new one. So it's just a cross of effects teams.

Paramount shouldn't have sold off the TV rights to CBS. CBS can get fucked.The original idea of syndication is what made TNG so great, and they're going with this closed, isolated business model for deploying the episodes. It's so complete opposite of the concept for the delivery of the show that made it so populous. You don't gain fans by keeping something isolated to one provider, you share that shit with everyone, and make them burn out the episodes in reruns (ala decrepit G4, and all the other stations that have rights to show episodes of TNG).

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Well they didn't sell the TV rights to CBS... CBS owns Paramount. The history of the two is complicated by Viacom having owned Paramount yet was itself spun off from CBS back in the early 70s and then purchased CBS in the 90s etc. Regardless CBS has the rights and is not likely to let go of them.

• 1Like

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Pretty sad when a Star Trek parody looks way better than the actual show. I would rather have goofy dialogue and action/adventure than all politics/sjw bullshit.

Are.. are you sure you like Star Trek? The shows have always been about politics and dealing with human issues, and the "best" episodes (based on general consensus) have always dealt with really heavy issues like equality, fairness, power difference, moral ambiguity, things like that.

I'm not saying Discovery looks good. In fact, it looks bad because it appears to be going the Abrams route of removing all of those heavier topics from the equation in favor of random pointless drama and 'splosions. Now I love me a good space battle but that's never been Star Trek's strong suite and almost the antithesis of what the show is about.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Siliconemelons

Yes- however they have not been FRONT AND CENTER - ins story and in the world of trek- to us the audience maybe.

They did not start TOS and have Kirk come in and look at his diverse bridge crew and say "Get your gay ass asian and fucking red ass commy russian selves off my bridge!" then go into an exposition on why that was wrong...then spend a few episode arcs on Kirks redemption making good to those crew members - and getting them back into good graces- to then step down into their roles and let them co-captian.

All of that stuff was just assumed on set and in show- it was just how things are - they may have "dealt with the issues" by having it exist- but in show it was never a "thing" -- the only reason Worf was a in-show issues was because the federation has been at war with the klingons forever... but worf was just as much a in-show "issue" of firsts as Data was... they didnt turn around and wink and nod and say "oh sup worf, your a space negro! welcome! oh look, we have a blind negro in a VERY IMPORTANT ROLE! see ! see! its all good!!" no.

Cisco in story and in character was not "OMG THE FIRST BLACK CAPTIAN!!!!" - he just WAS - now it "was" the first black captian star for US as viewers- but to everyone in the show, it was NBD (that is until he shaved his head and grew the goatee and started owning everyone!!) ...the same with Janeway...

• 1Like