Star Trek: Discovery

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
9 months seems like a fucking eternity to keep the cast working on an unreleased tv show. What a clusterfuck.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I'm kind of bummed now, I figured with another 9 month delay everyone on the bridge would be a woman or trans or both?

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The more I see of this the less I want to see if it...

TNG was inspired in that it made a big leap forward in time and this allowed the stories to reflect the very different society that existed in the late 80s as compared to the 60s. A argument could be made that it need only be a 20 year leap in the fictional setting too, but so much of what is done in Trek is allegory and that requires some setup.

This new series should have moved the timeline forward another 100ish years from the TNG/DS9/VOY era. Set it at a time when the Federation exists across the entirety of the Milky Way and encompasses everything from Ferengi and Klingons to Borg and Dominion, but the cesation of hostilities between national states hasn't eliminated conflict.

Explore the idea of Balkanization once the external threat that binds cultures together is removed. Explore the idea that, despite the now-nostalgic ideal of the 23rd century, not everyone can have everything or do anything they want. Explore what it means to maintain a sense of self in what it ostensibly a perfectly diverse society.

But no, let's have yet another version of Klingons in a prequel era.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>

TNG was inspired in that it made a big leap forward in time and this allowed the stories to reflect the very different society that existed in the late 80s as compared to the 60s. A argument could be made that it need only be a 20 year leap in the fictional setting too, but so much of what is done in Trek is allegory and that requires some setup.

This new series should have moved the timeline forward another 100ish years from the TNG/DS9/VOY era. Set it at a time when the Federation exists across the entirety of the Milky Way and encompasses everything from Ferengi and Klingons to Borg and Dominion, but the cesation of hostilities between national states hasn't eliminated conflict.

Explore the idea of Balkanization once the external threat that binds cultures together is removed. Explore the idea that, despite the now-nostalgic ideal of the 23rd century, not everyone can have everything or do anything they want. Explore what it means to maintain a sense of self in what it ostensibly a perfectly diverse society.

Or another 100 years to the 26th century when time travel is a regular thing. But then you start venturing into Dr Who and Quantum Leap territory. TNG did time travel the best, but it's often very misused. See Enterprise.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

this idea is bad. without the threat of extinction, there's nothing stake-wise in story telling. federation always wins, blah blah blah

no one gives a shit about balkanization. its boring AF

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
this idea is bad. without the threat of extinction, there's nothing stake-wise in story telling. federation always wins, blah blah blah

Voyager destroyed the pipeline for the borg, but they will literally never not be a threat. A lot of the concepts they used for over coming the borg came from 200 years in the future. Like the Doctors mobile emitter. I wanna know about *that* society.

tarb

Trakanon Raider

This is EXACTLY what they should have done, I'v been saying this since the end of Enterprise. And now come word Meyer is working on ANOTHER Prequel...ugh

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
It's also annoying that we have so many subplots with different ships that could be explored, and yet they want to go unique. That was the big problem with DS9 and Voyager - half of Star Trek is the fucking Enterprise, but they made you respect the station and ship. The NX-01 was a piece of shit, and tarnished the reputation of the history of Enterprise. I want to see new tech, not fucking grapple cables, and no transporter.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Lumping DS9 and Voyager together. Get the fuck out of here.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
one of the Star trek reboots eventually needs to take a really bold step and REALLY reboot star trek, and pretend nothing that came before happened ala BSG. There is just too much flotsam and debris in the canon Star Trek universe for good story arcs to emerge.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
9 month delay means this will be an illegal late term abortion.

I am not even going to pirate this at this point.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
one of the Star trek reboots eventually needs to take a really bold step and REALLY reboot star trek, and pretend nothing that came before happened ala BSG. There is just too much flotsam and debris in the canon Star Trek universe for good story arcs to emerge.

The JJ Abrams reboot likely started out as an attempt to do just that.... but then quickly ran down the time travel + future Spock + Enterprise legacy rabbit hole. Part of it was to justify the new futuristic aesthetic, but that really didn't need to be justified.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider

Like 95% or more of the TNG episodes had no threat whatsoever to the federation, and many episodes had no real threat to even the crew, although sometimes they would artificially force some threat from the 3rd parties to more heavily invest the crew in the plot I guess. DS9 went away from that with the whole, y'know, galactic war thing, and Voyager was all about survival of the crew in mega-foreign territory.

I think you could absolutely do a great show using Qhue's ideas but obviously the people behind Discovery would not have been the people to do it anyway so I'm not sure how much of a loss this really is. It's hard to know how much is writers, directors, producers, suits, etc. as far as who's to blame for massive fuckery of concepts.