Star Trek: Discovery

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Books aren't considered canon by CBS/Paramount. There are too many contradictory stories. My wife spent several months trying to find a good guide on the time line in which all of the novels were set, because she wanted to read them in more or less the correct time line, and there was a huge list of novels that were set at basically the same time, contradicted other novels, or had certain characters after they were supposedly killed off in earlier books, but not ever explained how they "came back".

However, the television series, the movies, and STO are considered actual canon. Which is why the Borg were a large part of one of the expansions in STO.

I've read a pretty fair amount of the books post TNG, including Titan stuff, and most of the DS9 stuff. I can't recall any of it conflicting. They have relaunched the book series at different points, with different goals. All in all it's pretty good though

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I've read a pretty fair amount of the books post TNG, including Titan stuff, and most of the DS9 stuff. I can't recall any of it conflicting. They have relaunched the book series at different points, with different goals. All in all it's pretty good though

Didn't say the books were bad, just that they're decidedly not canon. I, too, have read my fair share of them. Reunion, Imzadi, and the Exalibur series are some of my favorites. Reunion is one of the main reasons I wish they'd do a Stargazer series. I still have my hardback copy of Imzadi that I had signed when I was 10 years old, from 25 years ago. My wife flipped her shit when she found out, since she had the same copy, as it was one of the few that she'd hung on to. It was my only Trek book that I kept after moving out of my parent's house, forever ago.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Didn't say the books were bad, just that they're decidedly not canon. I, too, have read my fair share of them. Reunion, Imzadi, and the Exalibur series are some of my favorites. Reunion is one of the main reasons I wish they'd do a Stargazer series. I still have my hardback copy of Imzadi that I had signed when I was 10 years old, from 25 years ago. My wife flipped her shit when she found out, since she had the same copy, as it was one of the few that she'd hung on to. It was my only Trek book that I kept after moving out of my parent's house, forever ago.

I haven't read them in maybe a decade at least, but I still have Reunion and The Romulan Prize on my shelf. Despite hanging out in nerd circles I apparently was too nerdy because I never knew anyone else IRL that read any Trek books so I only read a few myself.

I don't understand trying to anger and not appeal to fans. Like... why make it Star Trek at all then? There's always demand for hot new IP, just fucking make a new one if that's what you want. There's not been a lot of success stories of "re-imaginings" that offend the old core fanbase while also trying to be completely new and ignoring what the originals were about. Mainly because that's obviously a dumb idea with little to no merit and should be killed in the planning stage.

Kanglor

Silver Knight of the Realm
I mighta missed it being mentioned, but I've always felt a bit sad that Star Trek: Federation never actually made it to production. It was gonna be set in year 3000, with the UFP as a shell of it's former self, and interesting changes like the Ferengi being a dominate faction, Vulcan/Romulan reunification, etc. According to the entry on Memory Alpha, the show concept was about to get a full pitch when Paramount announced the movie reboot, which killed any plans for TV show.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The trailer for Axanar the fan made movie was better than any shit the current pencil pushers would green light.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
The trailer for Axanar the fan made movie was better than any shit the current pencil pushers would green light.

Got to see their final produced work at the South Lamar Drafthouse theater here in Austin. Editing and acting was basically a more serious version of TOS. With a little more polish (the sound work wasn't perfectly normalized between scenes, and one or two scenes could have been acted out better), that shit could have been picked up by a network and been exactly what Trek fans want and crave more of. Instead we're getting more action fluff. It's kind of silly. What we want is simple. Do the complicated social structure episodes without pandering to the bullshit SJW. I wouldn't be surprised if our main actor has a line where she says, "it's cuz I'm black, right?"

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Fuck Alec Peters and his Axanar shitshow. I gave that mother fucker 300 for that project and never got a single fucking thing delivered and his con artist ass can eat my mother fucking ass.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Fuck Alec Peters and his Axanar shitshow. I gave that mother fucker 300 for that project and never got a single fucking thing delivered and his con artist ass can eat my mother fucking ass.
Not their fault. Thank CBS for the cease and desist order. Also, what were you expecting? Was anything promised?

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Latest preview looks decidedly more Next Generation era Trek. And the ships are growing on me.

Star Trek: Discovery | Official Site | Trailer and Cast Info - CBS.com

And by Next Generation, I know you mean First Contact-- not the television series.

Shade aside, that's a much better trailer. Not sure what that other trailer was all about, I guess they had to fulfill their SJW obligation to showcase multiple females in a position of power because that trailer is straight ass compared to this one.

Night and day. Good looks on the share.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Were you a donor? If not shut the fuck up.
Did you meet with the producers, the actors, and the local body of donors? If not, then shut the fuck up. But thank you for the funds, as they helped cover all of their fucking legal fees. They were hard core dedicated to their cause and apologized for not being able to fulfill on promises.

By the way, I believe you're entitled to a copy of the DVD and a t-shirt, if it's any consolation.

• 1Worf

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
You didn't answer the question dickhead. If you had and aren't a cock gobbling Alec Peters apologist you would know that asshole brought the entire lawsuit on himself selling copyrighted and trademarked merchandise on the donor site. So go fuck yourself. I was entitled to a bit more than a god damn t shirt and dvd, but nice try.

• 1Worf

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I put in $20, but with most of these kinds of things, I didn't expect much in return. Sorry you were an idiot and donated so much with such high expectations.

• 1Picard

Siliconemelons

watched the newest trailer on the site.

It should have just been in the JJ universe, it fits better. "Prime" or whatever timeline, if they want that show- needs to be past Voy/DS9 etc.

I think they would see better response and fan attachment if they said this was in the JJ universe etc. it just all seems to fit better.

And are we just watching this black chick tell people to move/run and her failmode getting cleaned up by cismaleguy or asiancaptian?

• 1Like

Goatface

Btw maybe I just missed it.
I didn't realize for the 2 part premier that part 1 was on CBS and part 2 was on streaming right afterwards